Gapa Geezer wins big!

Old December 11th 12, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

Default Gapa Geezer wins big!

Haven't heard much from the ol' Gapa Geezer lately but I see on his club website that he is the distinguished, honored winner of "The Tape Measure XC".. Congrats Geezer!!! Only the hardiest of XC pilots could pull of such an achievement, earned "for the shortest flight resulting in an out landing".

Hope you're spending the winter getting that Gapa tuned up for spring. I know I'll be ready to chase some cold fronts come March & April.

-Cherokee Kid

Old December 12th 12, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Dec 11, 11:28*am, Tony wrote:
Haven't heard much from the ol' Gapa Geezer lately but I see on his club website that he is the distinguished, honored winner of "The Tape Measure XC".

Go Geezer! ;-)

B.
Old December 12th 12, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:28:52 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote:
Haven't heard much from the ol' Gapa Geezer lately but I see on his club website that he is the distinguished, honored winner of "The Tape Measure XC". Congrats Geezer!!! Only the hardiest of XC pilots could pull of such an achievement, earned "for the shortest flight resulting in an out landing".

Hope you're spending the winter getting that Gapa tuned up for spring. I know I'll be ready to chase some cold fronts come March & April.

-Cherokee Kid

Well thanks fur noticin' kid. I gotta say your flights this past season was downright insprin'. I wish I could say this here award was planned, or the result of me a swoopin' down and landin' the GAPA after noticin' some wrong to right, or some iniquity to take care of, what with reluctantly a bein' tagged a super-hero an' such. But that warn't the case, it was the result of some problems a towin' with that GAPA whereby my sidekick Bart is thinkin' it gots a problem with ailereon reversal and sometimes it just don't want to roll on tow - lessin' you stomp in a bunch a 'rudder. It got so scary that time that I done cut loose about 400 feet high, and danged if couldn't make it back ta the aerodrome, resultin' in the off field landin'. It turns out the second shortest landout was by my side-kick Bart in the GAPA who done had the same problem on 'nother flight and ended up landin' just a ways longer than I did for 2nd place in the standins. This here's a copy of some talk a while back about the flight on our club mailin' list:

"I have some of the same feelings as you about some of the new technology, although I did find myself wishing I had a SPOT couple of months ago. I landed the GAPA in that field just outside the airport fence on the other side of Loyal's house and nobody back at the clubhouse or the runway seemed to notice. I was awavin' my arms out there an a yellin' but nothin' was a' happenin' so's I 'ventually started walkin' beck to the clubhouse. Luckally, ole John Harbick came to my resQ with that golfin' cart, but we had 'ta take down part 'a that barbed wire fence ta get the GAPA out. I be 'a guessin' everybody else back at the clubhouse was a watchin' they're Ipods or somthin'. Maybe if I'da had me one 'a them SPOTs, I coulda' ben located sooner, 'cause they mighta noticed my SPOT on their IPODs, even though they didn't see me wavin' just on the other side 'a the fence, but probly nobody woulda' cared much anyways, 'ceptin my wife when she noticed no more paychecks was bein' deposited, then she mighta' activated search 'am resQ. I hate 'ta think 'bout what would been left 'a me
by then, what with walkin' out in that field, probly woulda' been purty much mummified by then."

Signed,

GAPA Geezer
Old December 12th 12, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:04:16 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:28:52 AM UTC-8, Tony wrote: Haven't heard much from the ol' Gapa Geezer lately but I see on his club website that he is the distinguished, honored winner of "The Tape Measure XC". Congrats Geezer!!! Only the hardiest of XC pilots could pull of such an achievement, earned "for the shortest flight resulting in an out landing". Hope you're spending the winter getting that Gapa tuned up for spring. I know I'll be ready to chase some cold fronts come March & April. -Cherokee Kid Well thanks fur noticin' kid. I gotta say your flights this past season was downright insprin'. I wish I could say this here award was planned, or the result of me a swoopin' down and landin' the GAPA after noticin' some wrong to right, or some iniquity to take care of, what with reluctantly a bein' tagged a super-hero an' such. But that warn't the case, it was the result of some problems a towin' with that GAPA whereby my sidekick Bart is thinkin' it gots a problem with ailereon reversal and sometimes it just don't want to roll on tow - lessin' you stomp in a bunch a 'rudder. It got so scary that time that I done cut loose about 400 feet high, and danged if couldn't make it back ta the aerodrome, resultin' in the off field landin'. It turns out the second shortest landout was by my side-kick Bart in the GAPA who done had the same problem on 'nother flight and ended up landin' just a ways longer than I did for 2nd place in the standins. This here's a copy of some talk a while back about the flight on our club mailin' list: "I have some of the same feelings as you about some of the new technology, although I did find myself wishing I had a SPOT couple of months ago. I landed the GAPA in that field just outside the airport fence on the other side of Loyal's house and nobody back at the clubhouse or the runway seemed to notice. I was awavin' my arms out there an a yellin' but nothin' was a' happenin' so's I 'ventually started walkin' beck to the clubhouse. Luckally, ole John Harbick came to my resQ with that golfin' cart, but we had 'ta take down part 'a that barbed wire fence ta get the GAPA out. I be 'a guessin' everybody else back at the clubhouse was a watchin' they're Ipods or somthin'. Maybe if I'da had me one 'a them SPOTs, I coulda' ben located sooner, 'cause they mighta noticed my SPOT on their IPODs, even though they didn't see me wavin' just on the other side 'a the fence, but probly nobody woulda' cared much anyways, 'ceptin my wife when she noticed no more paychecks was bein' deposited, then she mighta' activated search 'am resQ. I hate 'ta think 'bout what would been left 'a me by then, what with walkin' out in that field, probly woulda' been purty much mummified by then." Signed, X GAPA Geezer

I've landed out close but never that close! Personal best was about 3 miles out. This season my shortest was as whopping 7 miles. Looks like I still have something to learn from the ol Gapa Geezer.
Old December 13th 12, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

My closest Landout in the Ka-6 (inspired by Tony of course) was around 2.5
miles from our airport. Apparently one of the local cub pilots told the rest
of the club that he saw a glider BELOW the altitude of this high flying J3
pilot. I got a call in the field from one of our guys in the club by the
time I had barely gotten out of the glider :-)

Our short distance landout champ this year was a guy in the 2-33 that had a
PTT and put it in the cut beanfield across the street from the airfield. Was
kinda fun stopping traffic, and draggin the ol Schweizer back home :-)

Pete
Ka-6Cr

Old December 13th 12, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

Was kinda fun stopping traffic, and draggin the ol Schweizer back home :-)

A couple of years ago, our club's 2-33 was landed on the play-ground of a school in the middle of Spartanburg. The pilot did a good job and if it hadn't been for a low chain-link fence, he might have gotten away without the very minor damage. Anyhow, we hauled the wings back to the airfield using our TwinAstir trailer but the fuselage didn't fit. Since we were only about a mile away from the airport, we decided to push the fuselage arcoss town on it's own wheel. We had to go through several traffic lights making sure we gave the proper hand turn signals, etc. It was like the 'circus had come to town' with a bunch of kids following us on the sidewalk and on bicyles and other motorists almost getting into wrecks.
That was just about the shortes retrieve (distance, not time) I had been on..

'GM'
Old December 13th 12, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

we've walked our 2-22 back to the airport twice in the last 3 years. short wings come in handy when trying to manuever around road signs, etc.