and a new pilot/engineer is born.

Old January 15th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Charles Vincent

Default and a new pilot/engineer is born.

Ricky wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:19 pm, William Hung wrote:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...-man-builds-wo...

Way to go Muhammed!

Wil

I remain extremely skeptical that the thing flys until I see a picture
or video of it in the air.
I mean, 133 hp?? With heavy Toyota car seats (4 of them)? Don't the
smallest helios have over 200 hp?

Ricky

Other articles on the helicopter have reported its maximum altitude as
seven feet. He is hoping to build one that will achieve fifteen feet.
Still an achievement, as that is untethered.

Charles
Old January 15th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
cavelamb himself[_4_]

An accomplishment? Or an accident looking for a crash site?

The 12-meter-long aircraft, which has never flown above a height of
seven feet, is powered by a secondhand 133 horsepower engine from a
Honda Civic. In the basic cockpit there are two Toyota car seats, with a
couple more in the cabin behind. Controls are simple, with an ignition
button, an accelerator lever to control vertical thrust and a joystick
that provides balance and bearing. A camera beneath the chopper
connected to a small screen on the dash gives the pilot ground vision,
and he communicates via a small transmitter.

Mubarak says he learned the basics of helicopter flying through the
internet after he decided it would be easier to build a chopper than a
car. Flying his creation is easy, he claims. "You start it, allow it to
run for a minute or two and you then shift the accelerator forward and
the propeller on top begins to spin," he explains. "The further you
shift the accelerator the faster it goes and once you reach 300 rpm you
press the joystick and it takes off."

Undeterred that his home-made transporter, which lives in a hangar on
campus, lacks the gear to measure atmospheric pressure, altitude and
humidity, Mubarak is working on a new machine which "will be a radical
improvement on the first one in terms of sophistication and aesthetics."

A two-seater with the ability to fly at 15 feet for three hours at a
time, Mubarak's new creation will be powered by a brand-new motor
straight from Taiwan, normally found in motorbikes.
Old January 15th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:37:27 -0800 (PST), wrote in
:

Plenty of homebuilts here never got off
the ground because they are still in the garage after 20, 30? years
and never get built. Come on... give the youth credit for ambition.

Exactly. Not only that, but:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/homemade-...unk-313408.php
A 24-year-old undergraduate from Nigeria is building helicopters
out of old car and bike parts. Mubarak Muhammed Abdullahi, a
physics student, spent eight months building the yellow model seen
here, using the money he makes from repairing cellphones and
computers.

Eight months! Who has built anything that flies in 8 months?

MMmmm..I guess I have:
http://www.dighera.com/otto_meet_5-23-71_larry.avi :-)
http://www.dighera.com/otto_meet_5-23-71.avi
(These take a little time to load; be patient.)
It still took about a month of weekends to complete.

Historical information he
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...a?dmode=source
Old January 15th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

wrote:
On Jan 15, 3:21 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
Eight months! Who has built anything that flies in 8 months?

The late Tim Crawford built a complex homebuilt that flew for a long
time (a long EZ) in nine months. Its not the months or years, it's the
hours. Took me about 2300 hours to build mine
http://www.abri.com/sq2000
Some people do 2 hours per week and some 40.

North American Aviation took the P-51 from doodles on a napkin to lifting off
the tarmac in 117 days.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 15th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

cavelamb himself wrote:
[...]

I make it an accomplishment, AND probably also an accident waiting to
happen;hopefully not.
Just figuring out the hard numbers and applying them to available parts
and achieving untethered flight for even a few feet, considering
everything involved in doing that, marks this fellow as someone with
unusual talent.
Fron the looks of that thing however, I sincerely hope some legitimate
helo company offers this guy a steady job before his talent ends up
being wasted by his experimenting any deeper into the highly complicated
world of helo flying.
After accomplishing what he has done already, I'd not like to see him
injured or killed for lack of suitable employment.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 15th 08, 11:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

wrote in message
OK. Maybe you are right. Some of us will have to arrange a trip to
Nigeria to verify it. You go ahead, I can't afford it.

Not worth my time. The burden of proof for a claim like this is on the
person making the claim, not the person reading about the claim. How
hard can it be for Muhammed to have a friend take a picture of the
contraption in flight? Not as hard as making it fly, I presume.

So where is this evidence that it is a hoax?

Lack of credulity on my part:

1) Failure to show the aircraft in flight.
2) No valid source exists for the news as reported by the blogs. The
"Yahoo" link is bogus. The "raw feed" link is merely another blog.
3) The craft looks like it can't fly for various reasons.
4) It was built from junk in 8 months of spare time. He found all
these parts in a junk yard and made them work together for controlled
helicopter flight in eight months -- but only in his SPARE TIME. Hmm.
Must have a lot of that spare time and some damned fine junk yards at
his disposal.
5) No machining required. Apparently he didn't have to machine
ANYTHING for a completely custom, one-off vehicle. Or does he have
lathes and other machine tooling stuff at his ready disposal? Welders,
sheet metal manipulating equipment, digital equipment and interfaces
to make the "joystick" work as a controller. That stuff takes time.
More time than 8 months of spare time.

And you know, he's never done anything like this before!

This would be an amazing, and very unlikely, job to pull off ANYWHERE
in the world.

Lets see this logic. If a report is from the western world it is
assumed true (innocent until proven guilty). If a report is from
Nigeria (and some other places) than it is assumed to be a hoax
(guilty, of anything we want to assume, until proven innocent).

It has nothing to do with location in my opinion. If that contraption
were in my neighbor's backyard here in "the western world" and he
said, "hey, it flies. It flies up to 7 feet in the air," I'd say
"great, let's see it."

It has to do with lack of evidence that flight was ever performed in
the unique device pictured in a single picture only SITTING FIRMLY ON
THE GROUND.

The burden is not on me to prove that it can fly or that it can't.
It's at least possible I think, so, let's see it. Is it too much to
ask to see more pictures before you believe a story like this?

More food for thought.

Am I the only one that can't see a tail rotor on the tail boom?

Also, the main rotor shaft appears to be about 1" in diameter, with little
if any outboard bearing near the hub, perhaps even a universal joint. Could
this really be successful at harnessing 133 hp, at 400 rpm or so?

I have serious doubts as well. Here is a couple more photos but still not
much help.

http://www.afrigadget.com/2007/10/22...ains-by-storm/

Old January 15th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:

More food for thought.

Am I the only one that can't see a tail rotor on the tail boom?

There is a tail rotor back there I just can't see what could be driving it.