MKIV Yaw String - the change, and a free offer

Old October 29th 17, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

Default MKIV Yaw String - the change, and a free offer

On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 7:04:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Bumper-

Can you assure me that installation of the MkIV yawstring system is totally backwards compatible with my rudder pedals?

No.

I'm computer illiterate. The MKIV has a lifetime lithium battery but it's just for the spec sheet, not hooked to anything. All the computations are done mechanically in the MKIV base with nano-gears, cams and levers. I bought a new WD 10 computer 6 months ago and those suckers left off the program that allows you to move all the stuff you never use hardly ever onto the new computer. So the new one is in my closet and I'm still using the old one and hoping it doesn't completely die or turn into an IED.
Old October 29th 17, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 11:32:09 PM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 7:04:19 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Bumper-

Can you assure me that installation of the MkIV yawstring system is totally backwards compatible with my rudder pedals?

No.

I'm computer illiterate. The MKIV has a lifetime lithium battery but it's just for the spec sheet, not hooked to anything. All the computations are done mechanically in the MKIV base with nano-gears, cams and levers. I bought a new WD 10 computer 6 months ago and those suckers left off the program that allows you to move all the stuff you never use hardly ever onto the new computer. So the new one is in my closet and I'm still using the old one and hoping it doesn't completely die or turn into an IED.

OMG,
I think I must have damaged my MKIV last year when I installed it. After reading these posts I now realize that all last season the calibration was dramatically skewed and responsible for inducing yaw. This induced yaw was an almost constant problem that I struggled with. No doubt, costing me many 1000 km diplomes.
Also, What is this "spec" sheet you speak of? Is it similar to these strange "directions" and "instructions" my wife is always hounding me about?
:-)
Old October 29th 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I've often wondered why my MKIV yaw string behaves properly on my Stemme
when the engine is running.Â* Does the programming generate a feedback
signal opposite in phase and equal to the amplitude of the propeller
pulses?Â* How is the propeller pulse signal captured by the MKIV system?Â*
Does it read the alpha particle emissions of the proprietary yarn used
in the construction of the device?Â* What is the half life of the yarn?Â*
Etc...

On 10/28/2017 6:35 PM, bumper wrote:
On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 12:25:13 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 9:33:09 AM UTC-7, bumper wrote:
I posted before re Wings and Wheels' acquisition of the MKIV and Quiet Vent.

Some inside info:

Sean visited beautiful Minden, NV for training and to pick up manufacturing tools and fixtures. About half way through training, he was a little slow and being every bit as picky as me, rejecting about half. He says, "There is a lot to this!". I respond, "And such a little thing, the customer would never know." I was pleased at how fast he was catching on.

Several weeks later I call to see how things were going. Maybe sold, but the MKIV is still my baby. Sean assures me all is well, says he's changed the packaging and will send me a sample. When it arrives I see it's excellent quality, and packaging is nicer too.

Still you may have concerns, So if you purchase a MKIV or QV from W & W, and feel you didn't get your money's worth for whatever reason, just contact me and I'll refund your money up to the full purchase price, including shipping. Please note this is a limited time offer.

Okay, time's up!

Good Soaring!

bumper

Bumper you should outsource this to China. They will make them for $0.20, 200,000 to a container. The instructions may be a little funky and the cardboard packaging limp, but who cares if it points the wrong way?

Then get the Trump administration to give you $1,000,000 in tax incentives to bring manufacturing back. Modern Business 101.

I thought about that, but then remembered how much I worried when my last glider came across the North Atlantic. Those shipping containers go overboard sometimes. From 2008 to 2013, 1679 containers were lost per year. With my luck, and your well meaning help, one of those would have had 200,000 MKIV's on it. Can you imagine what would happen to soaring as we know it without the MKIV?

Besides, each MKIV requires extensive programming and hands on training to insure it points the right way and doesn't wag it's tail too much - like my golden retriever, "Thumper" they tend to get excited, especially when you fly right. I just checked and none of the world's truly accomplished yaw string programmers speak Chinese or Chinglish. So I guess I'm out that million $$.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 30th 17, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 7:58:08 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've often wondered why my MKIV yaw string behaves properly on my Stemme
when the engine is running.Â* Does the programming generate a feedback
signal opposite in phase and equal to the amplitude of the propeller
pulses?Â* How is the propeller pulse signal captured by the MKIV system?Â*
Does it read the alpha particle emissions of the proprietary yarn used
in the construction of the device?Â* What is the half life of the yarn?Â*
Etc...

snipped a bunch

Okay, time's up!

Good Soaring!

bumper
The instructions may be a little funky and the cardboard packaging limp, but who cares if it points the wrong way?

Holy Halloween.
This much fun, and we haven't even switched off from Daylight Savings Time yet.
I am almost looking forward to long nights and more r.a.s. posts.

That would be Really Absurdly Silly postings.
Gotta say, I enjoy you fellows when you crank a smile.

Cindy B
Old October 30th 17, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 10:58:08 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

You failed to input the x axis compensation factor and adjust the damping coefficient.
UH
Old October 30th 17, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That's so true!Â* I also forgot to mention that the proprietary wool used
in the yaw string comes only from the Icelandic High Country mountain
sheep (females only due to the extra lanolin content).

On 10/30/2017 4:48 PM, wrote:
[...]

MKIV "high tech" yaw string (tech note) bumper[_4_] Soaring 20 August 15th 15 11:02 AM
Replacing the MKIV yaw string - tips bumper[_4_] Soaring 38 January 1st 13 08:10 AM
Free SPOT-2 offer (mail-in rebate) starts now Paul Remde Soaring 0 December 21st 12 05:47 AM
MKIV & QV increase bumper[_3_] Soaring 6 March 10th 10 01:22 AM
IFR Accelerated Training in my COZY MKIV Marc J. Zeitlin Instrument Flight Rules 1 April 13th 05 05:35 PM