How to file XXX to XXX?

Old May 18th 04, 02:55 PM
Andrew Sarangan

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in
hlink.net:

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...

Just file TKI to TKI and add multiple approaches in the comments
box. Your clearance will be something like "cleared to TKI, climb
and maintain ...."

That'll work over the phone to FSS, but the computer will reject it.

The
error response is "zero distance" or something like that.

I just tried this on DUATs with the route block empty and it accepted the
flight plan. However, it appears to have automatically inserted the
lat/lon co-ordinates of the airport in the route block. The route is
still zero distance.
Old May 18th 04, 09:01 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"EDR" wrote in message

According to AvWeb's Don Brown in a column a couple of
months ago, you file to the initial approach fix for the airport
you want to do approaches to.

That'll work fine if the IAF happens to be in the computer. Most are not.

Old May 18th 04, 11:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...

I just tried this on DUATs with the route block empty and it
accepted the flight plan. However, it appears to have
automatically inserted the lat/lon co-ordinates of the airport
in the route block. The route is still zero distance.

It's probably not actually zero. Lat/lon coordinates are entered in flight
plans only to the nearest minute, fixes stored in the computer are entered
at a higher accuracy. Using the Route Readout function of ARTCC radar data
processing, which draws out the route on the scope, you can see the little
wiggle caused by a route like ..DDMM/DDMM..VOR.. , where DDMM/DDMM
represents the coordinates of the VOR.

Old May 19th 04, 03:12 AM
Richard Kaplan

"Nicholas Kliewer" wrote in message

and then back to TKI -- putting "multiple approaches" in the comments
section. Any other thoughts?

File from TKI to TKI and for the Route, enter the IAF for the first approach
you will fly.

You can put "multiple approaches" in the comments but that isn't necessary;
just let ATC know your future plans while you are flying the first approach.

Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com