A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

Old March 8th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Vreeken
external usenet poster

Default Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

Hey Dave, I’ve seen MG pilots argue over a litre of fuel !!!
Old March 8th 18, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pieter Oosthuizen[_2_]
external usenet poster

You are talking about See You Mobile, not See You Recorder. See You
recorder is only a flight recorder. It doesn't let you look at your

flight
traces at all. It is a free app.

Thanks, missed that.

Old March 10th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Palmer
external usenet poster

The FR300 might be just what my club is looking for. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with them?

Mark
Old March 10th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I'm particularly puzzled by this statement on the FlyWithCE website: "Internet connection is required to generate secure IGC files."

- why would an internet connection be needed to secure the file? Seems like a contradiction in terms.

- does the logging device itself connect to the internet, or just the supplied software?

- if the latter, can the flight logs be extracted without that specific software?

Personally I wouldn't accept a recorder that does not generate stand-alone files in its memory that can be transferred to any computer as from any USB memory stick.
Old March 10th 18, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

If I'm reading the manual correctly (and I admit to just skimming it), it would appear the internet connection is only necessary to generate a secure file. You can download the file from the device and it's stored locally, but by connecting the FlywithCE server it then generates a secure file for OLC flights (and I presume, Silver and Gold badges). You don't have to connect to download the file and the device itself doesn't connect to the internet.
Old March 11th 18, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy
external usenet poster

I think for robust, durable, bullet proof, idiot proof logging I'd go with a Nano.
There is nothing worse than doing a flight you planned out, completed it and then having a logger failure. Been there, its a bummer.
Get a Nano and you will have trouble free logging for all levels of certification.

Old March 11th 18, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 9:35:06 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
I think for robust, durable, bullet proof, idiot proof logging I'd go with a Nano.
There is nothing worse than doing a flight you planned out, completed it and then having a logger failure. Been there, its a bummer.
Get a Nano and you will have trouble free logging for all levels of certification.

I'm an OO; have worked with multiple FR300's with no problems (when there was internet nearby). I have had one failure with a Nano - last day at a Canadian Nationals I was scoring. It showed as corrupted usb drive; pilot had to open trailer and get the backup and we were a bit late for the dinner. Agree that generally they are very reliable, and good up to world records. The FR300's are inexpensive and work well for the price.