Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

Old March 8th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Vreeken

Default Inexpensive portable IGC data recorders

Hey Dave, I’ve seen MG pilots argue over a litre of fuel !!!
Old March 8th 18, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pieter Oosthuizen[_2_]

You are talking about See You Mobile, not See You Recorder. See You
recorder is only a flight recorder. It doesn't let you look at your

flight
traces at all. It is a free app.

Thanks, missed that.

Old March 10th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Palmer

The FR300 might be just what my club is looking for. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with them?

Mark
Old March 10th 18, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm particularly puzzled by this statement on the FlyWithCE website: "Internet connection is required to generate secure IGC files."

- why would an internet connection be needed to secure the file? Seems like a contradiction in terms.

- does the logging device itself connect to the internet, or just the supplied software?

- if the latter, can the flight logs be extracted without that specific software?

Personally I wouldn't accept a recorder that does not generate stand-alone files in its memory that can be transferred to any computer as from any USB memory stick.
Old March 10th 18, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If I'm reading the manual correctly (and I admit to just skimming it), it would appear the internet connection is only necessary to generate a secure file. You can download the file from the device and it's stored locally, but by connecting the FlywithCE server it then generates a secure file for OLC flights (and I presume, Silver and Gold badges). You don't have to connect to download the file and the device itself doesn't connect to the internet.
Old March 11th 18, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy

I think for robust, durable, bullet proof, idiot proof logging I'd go with a Nano.
There is nothing worse than doing a flight you planned out, completed it and then having a logger failure. Been there, its a bummer.
Get a Nano and you will have trouble free logging for all levels of certification.

Old March 11th 18, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Saturday, March 10, 2018 at 9:35:06 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
I think for robust, durable, bullet proof, idiot proof logging I'd go with a Nano.
There is nothing worse than doing a flight you planned out, completed it and then having a logger failure. Been there, its a bummer.
Get a Nano and you will have trouble free logging for all levels of certification.

I'm an OO; have worked with multiple FR300's with no problems (when there was internet nearby). I have had one failure with a Nano - last day at a Canadian Nationals I was scoring. It showed as corrupted usb drive; pilot had to open trailer and get the backup and we were a bit late for the dinner. Agree that generally they are very reliable, and good up to world records. The FR300's are inexpensive and work well for the price.