Any details on Nephi incident?

Old June 23rd 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Any details on Nephi incident?

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 11:24:17 AM UTC-4, Chris wrote:
Is everybody alright?

Has it not occurred to you all that until the wreckage is examined,
Dave is wisely refraining from commenting?
(( legal liability ?)
Old June 23rd 18, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

To me?.....yes.
Thus my previous comments other than, "they are around to make comments at some point".

Glad they may make comments later.....better than losing peeps.......
Old June 24th 18, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

Like the FAA or NTSB really gives a rats as_ what anyone speculates. So what, everyone at Nephi and the world is forbidden to discuss the accident out of some paranoidic induce phobia to not being correct? The pilot will ride his destiny on the facts as they reveal themselves regardless of the expected bull and yack that is created by misfortune. We’re not talking about rape or illegitimate children.
Should I ever dick it up or have a very bad day, I give permission to everyone to speculate, ponder, infer, judge, heckle, broadcast, embellish, gather the kids, poke the wife,husband, and run nakid thru the night on my behalf.
And should I live.....bring your liquor because you’re going to hear a hell of a story.
Old June 24th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The JS1 rudder cable “S” bend issue, and resulting bailout, come to mind.
Old June 24th 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Striedieck[_2_]

Here's what I've heard third hand. Apologies to YO for inaccuracies.

Some sort of rudder control failure made the ship uncontrollable, so Dave opted for bailout. AFA cadet had no problems getting out and good chute. Dave had trouble getting out, lost his glasses, the wings came off, finally got out low, trouble finding rip cord, found it and the chute opened seconds from the ground!! Cadet walked out (three hours) got rescue going and a helicopter found Dave. He has a fractured vertebrae which the docs say is no problem, and a broken rib or two. They were near Richfield, UT flying in the Nephi standard national contest.

KS

Old June 25th 18, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Fidler[_2_]

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 11:24:17 AM UTC-4, Chris wrote:
Is everybody alright?

Dave Nadler has been a great ambassador for soaring in this country for a very long time. I can not imagine what soaring in this country would be without him.
Dave did everything correctly when it came to understanding his glider and always offered help to people willing to listen and learn. His knowledge and experience is why he and his passenger survived. This should be a lesson for all of us.
Old June 25th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Ummmmm......OK.

Have you considered peeps out of aviation may stumble across this?!

Random "Monday morning quarterbacking" may scare some peeps away?

I will guess......no.

I prefer facts, especially when someone with direct knowledge can comment. Without that, I prefer to wait foe an NTSB report.

Dave...."YO", I broke my back (T10) 35 years ago, broke it again about 1.5 years ago (L1.......,rods and screws this time).
I can understand the pain.
I can sympathize.

Email me if need be.
Yes, I still do most things, sucky weather is a PITA.

Glad you are around to comment down the road.
Old June 27th 18, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

First thanks to all for copious sympathy emails, texts, and calls.
Passenger is AOK, and I'll be absolutely fine though I'm banged up.
I am really not sure what went wrong and would prefer to refrain from speculation.
NTSB will work with LBA to try establish what happened, and it will take time,
after they find the pieces.

We were very fortunate to be 9,000 above terrain when things went south,
and needed all of it. Strong round chutes performed perfectly despite my
deployment face-up.

PLEASE review how you've attached your trackers to your chutes.
My Inreach was in the nice pouch supplied by Strong, unfortunately closed with velcro. Unhappily it was no longer in the pouch when I touched down.
Plastic clip-ons, velcro, or other light fastener will NOT survive
the violence of this kind of exit. No ELT either.

Thanks again for all the support, really appreciated.
Best Regards, Dave
Old June 27th 18, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Hey, thanks for checking in.

I believe the "real UH" has rethought where to keep his tracker/PLB. So, some good came from this.

You should have an email from me, I know back pain........
Old June 27th 18, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A very professional and human post, Dave. So glad you and passenger are all right.

Gary Osoba

Going to Nephi? Paul Remde Soaring 6 June 26th 15 05:22 AM
New Video From Nephi and Update on 2014 Nephi Events [email protected] Soaring 1 June 5th 14 03:27 AM
Nephi wrap-up Tim Taylor Soaring 20 February 8th 14 02:28 PM
Nephi, UT Kevin Christner Soaring 4 February 3rd 14 09:18 PM
KS Duo at Nephi Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 0 January 9th 14 02:18 AM