Right seat flying

Old May 1st 04, 04:23 PM
Teacherjh

except that it must be a control
seat, which I take to mean a seat with controls.

To which FAR are you referring?

Oh, you're gonna make me look it up. I find:
91.105 (flight crewmembers at stations). It does not mention "control seat"; I
must have misremembered that. But it does imply that it must be a "station",
by which I take it they mean a seat designed for and intended for a pilot or
appropriate crewmember. I don't think the FAA would go for the idea that the
passenger seat in the third row of a saratoga consititues a "station".

Jose

Old May 1st 04, 06:09 PM
Hilton

Teacherjh wrote:

except that it must be a control
seat, which I take to mean a seat with controls.

To which FAR are you referring?

Oh, you're gonna make me look it up. I find:
91.105 (flight crewmembers at stations). It does not mention "control

seat"; I
must have misremembered that. But it does imply that it must be a

"station",
by which I take it they mean a seat designed for and intended for a pilot

or
appropriate crewmember. I don't think the FAA would go for the idea that

the
passenger seat in the third row of a saratoga consititues a "station".

Jose,

OK, I was looking at 91.105 too, but thought there may have been an
additional requirement somewhere else. Since it does not say "control
seat", I believe the PIC therefore is not required to be at a control seat.
Heavy iron pilots - correct me if I'm wrong, but the PIC of a 747 can ACT
and LOG PIC while sleeping in his bed. Am I correct?

Hilton

Old May 1st 04, 07:54 PM
Bob Moore

"Hilton" wrote
Heavy iron pilots - correct me if I'm wrong, but the PIC of a
747 can ACT and LOG PIC while sleeping in his bed. Am I correct?

You are correct!

Bob Moore
Old May 1st 04, 08:24 PM
running with scissors

From: Anthony Acri )
Subject: Right Seat Flying

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about flying from the

right
seat? Would like to flyi from the right seat while taking some

people up
for sightseeing. Have been flying from the right when I have been

doing my
instructors courses.

Thanks

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

There are regulations pertaining to this, and if you are indeed doing
your instructors rating you should have gained a reasonable knowledge
of the FAR's and furthermore have an understaning of CRM.

as we are all aware, many GA aircraft are equipped with "dual"
controls and instumentation, however, depending on the aircraft the
left seat is configured as the primary control station, with
reduced/limited access from the right seat, limited further if a body
is in that seat, limited even further if it is occupied by a non
pilot.

so again, what purpose would it serve to position a non pilot in the
left seat and place yourself in the right seat, why would you want to
limit access to full control of the aircraft.

you may be able to find a loophole in the FAR's, renters policy or
insurance requirements to allow you to do this "legally", though even
posing the question indicates a complete failure to understand CRM and
lack of professionalism. if i found one of my pilots acting in this
manner he would never be in one of my cockpits again forthwith.
Old May 1st 04, 10:29 PM
Matt Whiting

James M. Knox wrote:
"Bob Gardner" wrote in

Yes, it is. It is published by J&S Media, Port Washington, NY. The
author of the article containing the statement is Amy Laboda.

That's a surprise...she is sharper than that.

My thought exactly. Surely she knows better than that. Was there *any*
other context that might change things. Such as not talking about the USA?
Or talking about aircraft without dual controls?

Nothing obvious. I sent an email to the editor and he forwarded it to
Amy and cc'd me.

I checked their web site (http://www.aviatorsguide.com/), but they have
yet to post the latest issue online, so you all can't read the full
article. I'm not sure why I'm receiving this publication as I didn't
subscribe to it, but this is the second issue I've received.

Matt

Old May 1st 04, 10:32 PM
Matt Whiting

Hilton wrote:
Teacherjh wrote:

[...]

I believe this applies only to the ATP certficate, which a 747 captain
certainly would hold.

Matt

Old May 1st 04, 10:35 PM
Matt Whiting

From: Anthony Acri )

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about flying from the

right

seat? Would like to flyi from the right seat while taking some

people up

for sightseeing. Have been flying from the right when I have been

doing my

instructors courses.

Thanks

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

You might be helping a student pilot work on some procedures in between
their lessons. I went back and re-read Amy's article and she did say
student pilot, however, I don't see why it matters whether the left seat
occupant is a student pilot or a non-pilot. I've never come across an
FAR that says I can't fly from the right seat, no matter who is in the
left seat or whether it is empty.

Matt

Old May 1st 04, 10:38 PM
Brad Z

"running with scissors" wrote in
message om...
As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

A few that come to mind...

1) For aerial photography flights in aircraft with only left opening windows
2) Returning to base with an inop PTT button on the left yoke
3) attaching a yoke mounted GPS so that it doesn't block the instruments
directly in front of you on the panel
4) Demo-ing an aircraft to a potential buyer (who may not even be rated yet)

Old May 1st 04, 10:47 PM
David Rind

[...]

You make it sound like some incredibly dangerous activity,
but CFI's fly from the right seat all the time and are expected
to be able to take over from that seat even if the student
has gotten the plane into a spin or is in an unusual attitude
in IMC. Why the terror about flying from the right?

Reasons you might want to sit on the right include allowing
the passenger to practice flying (not loggable toward a rating
if you're not a CFI, but that may not be important to you or
the passenger), and to practice for your CFI exam.

If you don't feel competent to fly from the right or feel like
there are important instruments or controls that you don't have
access to, then you shouldn't do it. But viewing it as a "loophole"
or "unprofessional" seems really over the top.

--
David Rind

Old May 1st 04, 11:06 PM
Marc J. Zeitlin

Brad Z wrote:

A few that come to mind...

Another reason has to do with homebuilts. I have a COZY MKIV, set up
for a left side PIC. Two weeks ago, I checked out a builder who has
just finished his aircraft, will be flying from the left seat, and
wanted some experience before doing his first flight. I checked myself
out in the right seat a few days before, and then gave him 1.5 hours in
the plane in the left seat, along with 6 TO/landings.

While the main instruments and pitch trim switches are on the left,
flying the COZY from the right seat is pretty much a non-event.

--
Marc J. Zeitlin
http://marc.zeitlin.home.comcast.net/

The National Lake Eutrophication Survey 1971-1973 Badwater Bill Home Built 18 June 16th 04 02:27 AM
Seat cushion Ernest Christley Home Built 14 August 5th 03 07:16 PM
Seat cushions Big John Home Built 3 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
seeking info from NW Ontario/ Upper Midwest Pilots flying intoAtikokan David Megginson Instrument Flight Rules 0 July 9th 03 03:04 PM