Cessna sued for skydiving accident.

Old December 5th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

Default Cessna sued for skydiving accident. OT rant...

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:
I don't have an opinion one way or the other. Those were the facts
of the case.

THANK YOU for sharing the facts of the case. They are very
enlightening.

None of the facts, IMHO, pin ANY blame on the folks who brewed the
coffee. McDonald's was wronged, plain and simple.

How about you respond as the defendant to these.

6. In discovery, it was disclosd that McD had over 700 previous claims
by people burned in a ten year period just before this incident,
including 3rd degree burns. This establishd McD's prior knowledge of
the extent and nature of the hazard.

A bit more of discovery would find that there are thousands of such cases
nationwide, only a tiny fraction occurring at McD's.

Old December 5th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Peter R." wrote in message
On 12/5/2007 10:40:30 AM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

Also, while you link does say, "The best temperature for brewing coffee
is
between 195 F and 205 F." it doesn't say it should be served at that
temperature.

So you brew a pot of coffee at that temperature, then what? Wait 20
minutes
for it to cool down? Of course not. You draw off a cup right away.

Also your prime rib example is not a valid comparison. Beef has to sit 5
10 minutes before you cut into it or you risk losing all the juice and
making
it too dry.

Okay, you two -- take this to rec.fan.cooking :~)

Old December 5th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Neil Gould

Default Cessna sued for skydiving accident.

Recently, Doug Carter posted:

On 2007-12-05, Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Doug Carter posted:

To begin with, I did not write that "education is underfunded" in the
sense that you are suggesting or that your cited reference uses. If
you wish to make such an argument, it would be a good idea to quote
my entire paragraph so that others can see how you have
intentionally distorted its meaning.

Sorry. I missunderstood your meaning; my bad.

No problem, it happens.

To support your conclusion based on the article, which IMO is
suprisingly poor for the CATO institute, one has to determine how
much of the funding actually reaches the individual student, as it
is only "per pupil" if the pupil directly benefits from it. The
article was written in 1990, and basically supports the NEA
statement that there was a 31% increase in government spending "for
education" during the prior decade. What do we know about that
period of time that might raise questions about the actual value of
that money? How much did your car or your house cost in 1980 vs.
1990? I can tell you that my 1984 vehicle cost about 1/3 of what the
same make and model cost when I replaced it in 1991 (and the cost of
the same make and model was almost 60% more when it was replaced in
2001). Also, expenditures that were typical in 1990 were
non-existant in 1980, for example purchases of personal computers.
So, to me, that 31% increase is not positively impressive.

I don't think that the rate of increase in education funding has ever
been below the inflation rate in this country.

Well, that may be a different issue, but you may be surprised. Do you know
what the rate of inflation was for that period?

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/I..._currentPage=1

Also, I wrote of expenditures that would probably be included in the NEA's
funding statement (the article took a backwards approach to this, so this
is speculation on my part).

Even so, my point was not about the *amount* of money, it was about
the PRIORITIES, in particular how that money is spent. In our
community, we spend more per pupil than all but one other community
in the state, but we are not getting that kind of return on our
investment. I (and the state auditor FWIW) attribute it to a
top-heavy school system. So, on what do you base the relevance of
your "Regardless of priority..." as an argument for our lack of
success in educating these youth?

Again, I read your post too quickly and missunderstood it. I agree
completly with your last paragraph. Lets start at the Federal level
by disolving the Department of Education as my fellow Republicans
promised, but failed to do in the mid '90s. Next, lets bust the
state monopoly on primary and secondary education.

To what end? In this state, the voucher system has established a large
number of independent educational institutions. Most of them are just
ripping off the public coffers, and are doing a worse job than the public
schools.

I think there can be fiscal responsibility and appropriate priorities
within the existing structure. The reason that we don't have that now is
the real problem.

Neil

Old December 5th 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Matt W. Barrow wrote:

6. In discovery, it was disclosd that McD had over 700 previous
claims by people burned in a ten year period just before this
incident, including 3rd degree burns. This establishd McD's prior
knowledge of the extent and nature of the hazard.

A bit more of discovery would find that there are thousands of such
cases nationwide, only a tiny fraction occurring at McD's.

Objection, that states facts not in evidence and McD's is the only plaintiff
in trial here today.

Old December 5th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Peter R." wrote:
On 12/5/2007 10:40:30 AM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

Also, while you link does say, "The best temperature for brewing
coffee is between 195 F and 205 F." it doesn't say it should be
served at that temperature.

So you brew a pot of coffee at that temperature, then what? Wait 20
minutes for it to cool down? Of course not. You draw off a cup
right away.

So heat a cup of water to 195 F and drink it. Then report back the results.
Old December 5th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan wrote:
"Peter R." wrote:
On 12/5/2007 10:40:30 AM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

Also, while you link does say, "The best temperature for brewing
coffee is between 195 F and 205 F." it doesn't say it should be
served at that temperature.

So you brew a pot of coffee at that temperature, then what? Wait 20
minutes for it to cool down? Of course not. You draw off a cup
right away.

So heat a cup of water to 195 F and drink it. Then report back the
results.

DISCLAIMER: KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. This experiment should only be
performed by masochists and those with reckless disregard for their own
safety. Also make sure your health insurance is paid up to date.
Old December 5th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Carter

On 2007-12-05, Neil Gould wrote:
Recently, Doug Carter posted:

Again, I read your post too quickly and missunderstood it. I agree
completly with your last paragraph. Lets start at the Federal level
by disolving the Department of Education as my fellow Republicans
promised, but failed to do in the mid '90s. Next, lets bust the
state monopoly on primary and secondary education.

To what end? In this state, the voucher system has established a large
number of independent educational institutions. Most of them are just
ripping off the public coffers, and are doing a worse job than the public
schools.

Geez... is diversity and choice so bad? At least parents in your state have a
choice.

I think there can be fiscal responsibility and appropriate priorities
within the existing structure. The reason that we don't have that now is
the real problem.

Since the prospects of the government giving up their monoploy are bleak, I
hope you are right but the cycle of underperformance and reform has been going
on for a long time
Old December 5th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

Jim Logajan wrote:
"Peter R." wrote:
On 12/5/2007 10:40:30 AM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

Also, while you link does say, "The best temperature for brewing
coffee is between 195 F and 205 F." it doesn't say it should be
served at that temperature.

So you brew a pot of coffee at that temperature, then what? Wait 20
minutes for it to cool down? Of course not. You draw off a cup
right away.

So heat a cup of water to 195 F and drink it. Then report back the
results.

DISCLAIMER: KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. This experiment should only be
performed by masochists and those with reckless disregard for their own
safety.

Anthony must be at it as we speak.

Bertie
Old December 5th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 12/5/2007 4:42:31 PM, Jim Logajan wrote:

So heat a cup of water to 195 F and drink it. Then report back the
results.

Bland to the taste, could use flavor.

--
Peter

British Aircraft to be used for Skydiving in Iran! [email protected] Aerobatics 0 September 7th 07 06:40 PM
British Aircraft to be used for Skydiving in Iran! [email protected] Simulators 0 September 7th 07 06:39 PM
Lycoming Sued jls Home Built 0 February 13th 04 02:01 PM
Glider/Skydiving Crash dm Soaring 0 September 27th 03 05:13 PM
WOW - Shots fired at skydiving plane in NY... Buff5200 Piloting 15 July 14th 03 06:37 PM