Installing a landing light blinker in an Archer

Old April 6th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Default Installing a landing light blinker in an Archer

A while back I asked for information about installing a landing light
blinker system in an Archer. Now that the job is done I'll share my
experiences with the Great Planetary Bit-Bucket.
First off, I'm very pleased with the system. I want Jim Weir to know his
generosity was not in vain! Thanks again, Jim.
Jim supplied the 2 field effect transistors with electrically insulated heat
sinks and the two surge current limiting thermistors along with a schematic.
The rest of the stuff came from Radio Shack and another local electronics
store.
The particular question in the Archer was how to hook up the pulsed output
across the landing-light switch. Since the LL rocker is essentially
inaccessible to everyone except the original assembly workers at Piper, I
ran a 16 gauge wire through the firewall to the LL connector in front of the
firewall and replace the two wire connector with a three (actually four)
wire connector to splice in the 12 volt pulsed output.
The other head-scratcher was were to place the thermistor since Jim
suggested it would be better to get it out of the cockpit. It ended up on a
small piece of circuit board screwed to one side of the LL. It essentially
became part of the wire that gets taken on and off when the bulb needs
changing.
The one slight mod I did to Jim's schematic was to add 500 ohm resistors in
series with yellow LED's on each pulsed output so the blink rate is visible
in the cockpit. A side benefit of the LED's is that when the LL switch is
on, the LL LED is also on, even when the pulse system is turned off. If the
pulse system is also on, the LED stays on without blinking.
--
Best Regards,
Mike.

http://flickr.com/photos/mikenoel/

Old April 6th 09, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

..
If you added 500 ohm resistors to the circuit you've done something no other
human being has done since RETMA took charge of component values prior to
WWII. 470 or 510 maybe?

Jim

The one slight mod I did to Jim's schematic was to add 500 ohm resistors

Old April 6th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Curt Johnson

RST Engineering wrote:
.
If you added 500 ohm resistors to the circuit you've done something no other
human being has done since RETMA took charge of component values prior to
WWII. 470 or 510 maybe?

Jim

The one slight mod I did to Jim's schematic was to add 500 ohm resistors

500 is not an uncommon value for power resistors.
Huntington Electric lists it as a standard value:
http://www.heiresistors.com/axialresistor.htm

Curt
Old April 6th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Jim, I had actually calculated 540 ohms for 13 volts and went looking for
560 ohms resistors. My local RS didn't have any 560's so I settled for two
1K 1/4 Watts in parallel. Good catch.

--
Best Regards,
Mike.

http://flickr.com/photos/mikenoel/
"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...
.

Old April 7th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

I'd be interested in the Form 337 for the install.
Or is there a standard STC? Sounds like a homemade solution in a Standard
certificated aircraft.

Old April 7th 09, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Minor modifications as delineated in FAR part 43 can be accomplished with a
logbook entry by an airframe mechanic. Parts for a person's own aircraft
may be personally fabricated in accordance with 21.303(b)(2).

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

Old April 7th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

The OP was talking about a current limiting resistor for an LED panel light.
A quarter watt resistor is overkill. Understand what is being discussed.
Google RETMA values if you must.

Jim

Old April 7th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Curt Johnson

Uh, I only stated that it was possible, not that it was the most
efficient solution. It was said that parts were obtained from local
sources. My local electronics surplus shop has stranger things.

Curt

Old April 7th 09, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve Foley

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...
Minor modifications as delineated in FAR part 43 can be accomplished with
a logbook entry by an airframe mechanic. Parts for a person's own
aircraft may be personally fabricated in accordance with 21.303(b)(2).

Jim

--

Isn't there also a specific exemption for a landing light circuit?

Old April 7th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT

Thanx Jim..

"BT" wrote in message
I'd be interested in the Form 337 for the install.
Or is there a standard STC? Sounds like a homemade solution in a Standard
certificated aircraft.

HID landing light [email protected] Home Built 2 July 10th 08 02:50 AM
Landing Light SOP kristoffer-m20j Piloting 94 November 4th 05 04:36 AM
landing light Hankal Owning 7 July 16th 04 03:16 PM
Landing light Hankal Aviation Marketplace 0 July 14th 04 01:23 AM
74 Archer Nav light switch Mike Noel Owning 8 January 14th 04 04:56 AM