How I celebrated the Anniversary

Old December 18th 03, 03:31 AM
Ludlow Johnson

Being a non-pilot, but a certified avaition enthusiast, most of my
activites were unfortunately restricted to ground menuvers.

Went out to one of the local airports (EYQ) here in houston to watch
them fly and snap a couple of pics of T & G's.

Also watched a whole lot of Discovery Wngs programs between honey
do's. Caught several of the the History and Discovery channel aviation
related programs. Then just finished watching the Spirit of Saint
Louis.

Tomorrow hopefully will get out to the Big Airport (IAH) for a little
plane sportting and then finish up at my local hangout (DWH).

All in all it's been quite a celabration.

Seasons greeting to one and all and please remember to fly
safe...........

On 17 Dec 2003 11:19:26 -0800, (TD) wrote:

Lucky you. I have freezing rain here in Montreal, Qc. There goes my plan.

TD

"jon" wrote in message ...
I returned a few hours ago from my flight to celebrate the 100th
anniversary.

A few years ago I had an idea for a flight I wanted to take but never
motivated to do it.
Thanks in a good part to a post in rec.piloting asking what was planned to
celebrate the anniversary.
I thought to do it on the 17th. With the weather in New York looking very
bad for tomorrow I took the flight today.

Today I landed at all 11 public paved airports on Long Island in New York in
a round robin flight.

Islip
Farmingdale
Kennedy Intl
La Guardia
Mattituck
Fishers Island
Montauk
East Hampton
West Hampton ( Gabreski )
Spadaro ( east moriches )
Brookhaven
Islip

It was a fun day of flying and a tribute and a Thank You to all the aviators
and people of
aviation who have made it possible for me to FLY !!

Jon G.

Old December 18th 03, 03:41 AM
tony roberts

I returned a few hours ago from my flight to celebrate the 100th
anniversary.

I flew in a formation flight around the Okanagan Valley. It was filmed
by 7 TV cameras - now I'm waiting for the news to see how it looked.
I do know that it wasn't too pretty - most of the guys hadn't flown
formation before. For safety it was VERY loose - now I'll get the
chance to see how it looked from the ground.
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Steve DeMoss

Sounds like a very cool way to commemorate the Wrights' achievement. I
couldn't get out to the airport until late this afternoon due to business
obligations, but managed to drag the 150 out and catch the sunset from
aloft. There were several pilots on the CTAF returning to home base at the
time, and one called out "Thanks, Orville. Thanks, Wilbur." I had to agree.
Beautiful sunset, smooth air, good visibility. If only I hadn't had to
return so quickly . . .

I might add that I felt somewhat compelled to fly today, since I recently
found out that Orville and I share a birthday (August 19th).

Steve DeMoss
N16071

(snip)

Old December 18th 03, 05:40 AM
jcc

"jon" wrote in message

I returned a few hours ago from my flight to celebrate the 100th
anniversary.

[snip]

Great flight Jon!

This evening my daughter and I took a short "Centennial Anniversary and
Christmas Light Viewing Flight" around the Temple area.

I've recently gotten OziExplorer to work with my Airmap 100, so I have
posted an image of the flight track on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation titled
"Centennial Anniversary, Christmas Light Viewing Flight".

Cheers!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old December 18th 03, 06:43 AM
Brian Burger

I went for a short local flight this morning to celebrate the 100th.

0.8, local south around the city, at 800 most of the time because of
clouds at ~1100-1200... Murphy's law dictated that within an hour of
landing there wasn't a cloud in the sky!

It was my brother's girlfriend's first ever time in a small plane; she had
a great time and has gone from being afraid of dying in a small plane to
talking about longer trips.

The Flying Club had a sticker & seal for pilot's logbooks; there'll be
nice 100 year certificates made up for everyone, pilots & passengers both.

Anyway, Happy 100th, everyone. Too bad the replica didn't get off the
ground at Kitty Hawk, but it sounds like some other people had nice
personal flights today!

Brian - PP-ASEL/Night -

Old December 18th 03, 07:43 AM
David Brooks

http://groups.msn.com/davidbrooks/paradeofplanes.msnw.

Enjoy. My aging camera has a distinctly blue cast - haven't had time to
retint the pictures yet.

-- David Brooks

"jon" wrote in message
Wow this sounds great .. Any pictures ?

"David Brooks" wrote in message
We have been *so* fortunate here, in Seattle of all places:
30005KT 10SM FEW160 SCT250 BKN330 11/05

The Parade of Planes went ahead with very few problems. 120 local pilots
signed up (there were a few no-shows). There were 6 speed groups plus a
formation team flying a circle up to Everett and down to McChord south

of
Tacoma. Flight A lead reached the dispersal point, abeam BFI, just as

the
sweep for flight F reported off the ground.

We started at the Museum of Flight at 9 for briefings, and left for the
airplane around 11:10 (we had to miss the Flyer's attempt on the big
screen). We got out of the plane about 1:30. In between was lots of

meeting
other pilots and their craft, from big warbirds to a pair of Long-Ezes.

was a passenger in the back of a friend's 206 - we have the same

instructor,
who was in the left seat. We were following a Texan and an Archer, with
another 8 behind us in the group. As far as I could hear, only one craft

had
to leave the parade, a biplane suffering some roughness.

Enormous kudos to the team from MOF for pulling it together at fairly

short
notice, and to the guys at Boeing Tower. We even got a stirring send-off
from the FSDO guy (who introduced himself as representing the Federal
Anti-Aviation Administration).

I think I'll make sure I'm in the front seat in December 2103.

-- David Brooks

Old December 18th 03, 11:14 AM
Frederick Wilson

Great idea for a flight Jon.

Like I commented in another post. We got the ole Huey out. The weather was
kind of iffy but we got out of the airport. By time we got to the PZ (Pickup
Zone) it was great weather for us. We flew more than 4 hours, turned 8
trips, and 100 PAXs. I think all in all it was a great day.

Fred

Old December 18th 03, 02:35 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
http://www.grummanpark.org/

Wow. How can such a cool, historic airport have such a crappy attitude?
You guys need to get AOPA involved.

In the late eighties, when I was working for Litton/Amecom on an upgrade
to the EA-6B Prowler, I got to go up to that facility on several
occasions and walk through HUGE hangars full of F-14Ds. It was pretty
cool. And... a few years later, I bought my plane nearby at Gabriski
field. It's a shame Calverton is closed.

-- Jay
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old December 18th 03, 02:53 PM
Jay Honeck

I've recently gotten OziExplorer to work with my Airmap 100, so I have
posted an image of the flight track on alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

titled
"Centennial Anniversary, Christmas Light Viewing Flight".

Sadly, it's not appearing on my server's version of "The Binary Channel".

Can you tell us a bit more about this software? I'd like to be able to
download (and save) my flight track from yesterday, since I doubt I'll ever
do 12 airports in 2.5 hours again!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"jcc" wrote in message
.. .

Old December 18th 03, 04:49 PM
JP Krievins

in recognition of the centennial of flight, my wife has been teaching
her middle school level science classes this fall about the Wright
Brothers and aviation. She teaches at a special purpose school, a
residential facility for youth with various problems that keep them
out of the normal public schools. For yesterday, she organized a field
trip for her kids to our local airport, which has a flight training
program run by a local college.

I spent the morning helping out with running the kids through the
activities there. The kids were divided in groups of about five or
six, taking turns touring the facility, sitting in airplanes, flying
the simulator, answering Wright Bros trivia questions to "win"
T-shirts, and flying the paper airplanes they had built inside the
hangar. Lot's of smiles and "big" eyes from kids that don't have a lot
to look forward to, particularly in the holiday season.

We ended the morning's activities by launching a rubber band powered
Wright Flyer model in the hangar. It flew for about 3-4 seconds and 60
feet, which wasn't too bad (and was better than the full size replica
did).

I had brought our Cherokee over to the college hangar, and the kids
were surprised to learn that their teacher had a "real" airplane. I
think she was a little embarassed to have admit that she didn't fly
it. Maybe all this aviation stuff she's been teaching will get her
thinking about moving over to the left seat?

A little prequel to this story. I drove over to the college hangar
earlier that morning to unload and set up some of the equipment for
the field trip. The only person there was a young student pilot
pulling planes out of the hangar, as the sun was coming up in the
east. I offered her a hand and soon we had the Cessna 150 freed up and
parked at the gas pump. As she was fueling, I asked her where she was
going. She replied that she was flying her first solo cross-country
that morning. She had that expression of excitement, joy and fear in
her eyes that took me back to that first time of "leaving the nest" as
a pilot. I wished her well, and went on with my unloading. When I
heard her engine fire up, I stepped out and gave her a thumbs up. She
returned the gesture with a big smile.

Later that morning, I flew the Cherokee, on it's way back to the
T-hangars. I did a few steep turns, enjoying the cold smooth air and
clear blue skies. I'd flown a cross-country the day before for a
business trip, so the winter flying itch wasn't biting too bad.

But, reflecting on the day, I am thinking more about the new
beginnings I had witnessed than on my own flight. The middle schoolers
with those freshly planted seeds. Seeds that could grow into a
motivation strong enough to pull a young life towards a brighter
future. A young lady, already with this vision, taking on one of the
first big challenges along that road.

Yesterday I was a witness to the dawn of the next hundred years of
flight. Not a bad way to spend the day.

JP Krievins