low altimeter and FL180

Old October 30th 03, 01:53 PM
Robert Moore

"Paul Sengupta" wrote

In the UK you use altitude when descending, FL when climbing.

Paul, I have a hard time believing that. As one descends with
the altimeter set to 29.92, how would you know when you reach
or pass an "altitude"? Altitudes are determined by the local
altimeter setting, not 29.92.

Bob Moore
Old October 30th 03, 03:35 PM
Paul Sengupta

Often wondered that myself. I change over when I see the
houses or trees at a certain size... :-)

Paul

. 7...

Old October 30th 03, 11:43 PM
GLPILOTSRV

In article , Robert Moore
writes:

Reset the altimeter passing through FL180 going up or down.
However, I hope I am not sucking oxygen as this would be
indicative of a major malfunction. :-)

Ah, I forgot to mention that I do this in the continental US.
The rules, of course, are different alsewhere.

How do you know that you are passing FL180 on the way up?

Ok, let's try this. In the continental US, I set the altimeter to 29.92 at or
near 18,000' in the climb and passing through about FL180 in the descent. No
conflict with traffic should occur since an aircraft will not be assigned and
altitude of FL180 if the current barometric pressure is less than 29.92. It is
not necessary to be exacting in this. Just be sure to have the correct
altimeter setting in the window when approaching the assigned altitude to avoid
traffic and/or terrain conflicts.

However, should I desire to know that I am passing FL180 in the climb, and
since I a have three altimeters at my disposal, I could set one to 29.92 to
indicate my current FL.

G. Lee
Old October 31st 03, 04:29 AM
Garner Miller

In article , Robert
Moore wrote:

If you are not assigned FL180 why would you want to know when you
are passing it in a climb?

So you know when you reset your altimeter so you don't go through the
190 you were assigned. A few years back we had a day with an absurdly
low local altimeter setting (something like 29.02).

We were climbing to FL190, so as we're passing through just under
18,000 feet and climbing like a bat outta hell, I whirl the altimeter
up to 29.92 to find we (ahem...) almost climbed through our altitude.
There were only 200 feet between 17,900 feet and FL190. Quite an eye
opener, to say the least.

--
Garner R. Miller
ATP/CFII/MEI