simple IFR timers

Old June 1st 04, 01:27 AM
Matt Whiting

Dan Truesdell wrote:

We have 2 Westbend timers (around $5-$8) velcroed to the panel. They
work great, and are much more visible than the standard 172 clock
(which, in it's current position, does not exactly fit in the scan).

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe that you need to have an "official" clock
in the plane to fly actual. Doesn't mean that you have to use it, but I
believe it has to be there and has to be working. We are replacing ours
right now. (Seems like a silly reg.)

The clock works, but the integral yoke time doesn't. I don't find
clocks all that useful for timing approaches. I'd rather have a time
that simply counts up from zero.

Matt

Old June 1st 04, 01:50 PM
Dave Butler

Matt Whiting wrote:

Anyone know of a source of a simple timer for approaches? I had one
years ago that was very simple. It was round with two buttons, one to
start and stop the timer and another to reset it. All I can find now
are the West Bend and others that have a lot more features than I need.
Unfortunately, the yoke timer in the airplane is toast so I'm looking
for something I can just velcro to the yoke or panel.

In addition to the good information you are getting in response to this post,
search at http://groups.google.com in rec.aviation.ifr for "timers". There have
been lots of informative posts in the past, including information about failure
modes in kitchen-style timers that you might not expect.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old June 1st 04, 02:03 PM
Dave Butler

Dan Truesdell wrote:

which is much more usable than the Cessna clock on the panel. We are
replacing it with an L-2 digital.

If the L-2 is one of those Astrotech things, save your money. Spend a little
more and get one from Davtron. The user interface on the Davtron is klutzy (what
the heck is "CONTROL" and "SELECT"?), but at least the switches are higher
quality than the Astrotech. Worth the difference in price, IMO.

Old June 1st 04, 02:54 PM
PaulH

I bought one from a pilot shop for around $20. I had one for a while
that counted up but replaced it with one that counts down. It has a
keypad, so 335 Start is all I need to do at the FAF for a 3:35 time to
MA. Alarm sounds at the end, though it's a little hard to hear with
headphones.
Old June 1st 04, 05:45 PM
Gerald Sylvester

Anyone know of a source of a simple timer for approaches? I had one
years ago that was very simple. It was round with two buttons, one to
start and stop the timer and another to reset it. All I can find now
are the West Bend and others that have a lot more features than I need.
Unfortunately, the yoke timer in the airplane is toast so I'm looking
for something I can just velcro to the yoke or panel.

I have the following:

http://www.lcflight.com/timers.html

and then this one.
CON-5004 4 Channel Alarm/Clock Timer

It is 4 channel but I only use #1 timer for enroute timing and then I
have #4 setup ahead of time with the countdown time for the MAP.
It is very easy to use. Count up and count down. I wish the thing had
a light for night flying and I also wish the alarm was a little louder.
time is set very easily just by pushing the H (hour), M (minute), S
(Second) and then the C (Clear).

I wish pilot would invent a truly great timer. amazing that you get
a Garmin 530's, Avidynes, Autopilots, etc, but can't get a great timer.

Gerald

Old June 1st 04, 10:37 PM
Matt Whiting

Gerald Sylvester wrote:

[...]

I agree. The Skylane I owned had, I believe, a Terra NavComm which had
a timer built into the CDI display unit. It's been a few years, but I
think you just toggled a switch to start the timer and this is what I
used for approaches. The nice thing is that the timer was right up
where you are looking during the approach so it was easy to keep track of.

Matt

Old June 2nd 04, 08:05 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I agree. The Skylane I owned had, I believe, a Terra NavComm which had
a timer built into the CDI display unit.

sarcasm on I can't recommend more this $12000 HSI with slaved
timer.

;-)

What you describe sounds ideal. Again, why can't manufacturers make
this. They can put oscillators into all electrical equipment but god
forbid they make a useful timer. Oh well.....

Gerald

Old June 2nd 04, 08:08 AM
John Bell

Matt,

I just stumbled into this thread and for some reason found in interesting.
I have no personal endoresment, but West Bend appears to have a simple one.
It appears that you can just press CLEAR and STOP/START to make it work.
Try:
http://www.westbend.com/westbend/cat...d=476&secid=8&
linkon=subsection&linkid=82 or
http://www.westbend.com/westbend/cat...2&linkon=subse
ction

John Bell

Old June 2nd 04, 04:32 PM
Jim Weir

Indeed the West Bend basic timer is a model of simplicity. In 1985 I bought two
of them. I modified one of them for Rutan's Voyager as a fuel tank alarm device
and put the other one in my 182.

The one in the 182 has never been turned off nor has it had a battery change in
almost 20 years. So far as I know, the one hanging in the Smithsonian is still
ticking away as well.

Jim

"John Bell"

-Matt,
-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old June 2nd 04, 06:35 PM
Julian Scarfe

"John Bell" wrote in message
om...
Matt,

I just stumbled into this thread and for some reason found in interesting.
I have no personal endoresment, but West Bend appears to have a simple

one.
It appears that you can just press CLEAR and STOP/START to make it work.

But that's not what I want, and unless I'm misunderstanding Matt that's not
what he wants. The problem is that the most common (only?) "command" a
pilot gives to a timer is "start counting up from zero now". For most
stopwatches and timers, presumably all based on the same silicon, that takes
3 button pushes:

Stop (if it's already counting, otherwise it goes to "lap" mode)
Clear
Start

It may be that the West Bend one doesn't have a "lap" mode so requires only
two pushes. What I want is something that emulates the timer on a KR87
ADF -- *one* press and it starts up from zero again.

Julian Scarfe