Headsets

Old August 15th 05, 07:51 AM

Default Headsets

Hi

I'm in the market for a headset and have seen new headsets on e-bay
bearing the "Feather Lite" brand.

Does anyone have any experience with these headsets? Any opions as to
quality of build, sound etc.etc. Any relevant info appreciated.

The price is right but I want to be sure they're just junk which will
bust in a couple months.

Given I'm a still student pilot I don't want to spend too much on my
first set and then decide I want something different down the track. I
also don't want to keep using the units provided by my school - damn
cooties...

Cheers
CT

Old August 15th 05, 08:09 AM
Thomas Borchert

Given I'm a still student pilot I don't want to spend too much on my
first set and then decide I want something different down the track.

Not sure I can follow that logic. Why waste money now if you know now
that you'll want something better later? Why don't you deserve what you
want now?

I wouldn't buy anything that's not ANR. Entry level ANR can be bought
for 250 $.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 16th 05, 12:38 PM
Thomas Borchert

Tyler,

Buy David Clark. By far the best headsets made and exceptional warranty.

I beg to differ. They ain't called David Clamps for nothing. In other
words: "best" has to be defined by the OP after getting the necessary
information to make that judgement.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 16th 05, 01:32 AM

George Patterson wrote:
wrote:

Your logic is flawed.

Funny, I wasn't aware I'd asked for a critique of my logic.

If you buy a poor headset now,

I do not know for a fact that it is a poor headset - do you? From the
specifications listed on E-bay it looks comparable to many of the more
popular headsets and from what I read it has a five year warranty. But
then you can't beleive everything you read now can you? Which brings
us back to the point of my original post which was to get information
*from anyone who has had direct experience with the headset* (Feather
Lite). After considering the information I'll make my decision.

If you have had any specific experience with the headset I'd be happy
to hear about it.

you won't be able to concentrate on your lessons as well as you might,

Again, that's the point of my original post. To find out from anyone
who has actually used the headset if the headset is noisy,
uncomfortable or has any other drawbacks which I should be aware of.

If you have any direct experience please post away.

and you won't be able to sell
it very easily once you decide to upgrade.

I wouldn't sell it. I'd keep it for passengers.

While I agree that you probably don't want to spring for a Bose right now, you
should be looking into something like one of the low end Lightspeed sets.

Now, I thought you said my logic was flawed. Here you're saying "Don't
buy the most expensive set on the market buy one of the cheapest."
Funny, sounds like the logic I was using.

George Patterson

Old August 16th 05, 01:53 AM
Chris Schmelzer

In article om,
wrote:

George Patterson wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yikes....

oh yeah and geez..

--
Chris Schmelzer, MD
University of Arizona, UPH Kino
Old August 16th 05, 02:42 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Testy are we?

FWIW, try to borrow a set from folks you hanger fly with at the FBO.
(grammar crash) I was always around the FBO during my training. I tried
different sets before setting for Lightspeed. Some may want to sell it to
you later, for reasons below.

I agree w/ the logic of ANR. I like Lightspeeds. I have 3. (2 w/ ANR, 1
w/o) I also have 2 Bose panel wired in the front. So you see. You can buy
on w/o ANR. Try it. If you want to upgrade to ANR (read: more $) you can
keep the old pair; you'll need it for when you want to fly w/ friends after
you get the ticket. Also, having a spare pair in the plane isn't a bad
idea.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old August 16th 05, 03:49 AM

A basic set of headsets will generally cost $125.00 or so.
Basic passive attenuation, 24-26db. Might even hold up for a few years.

Pacific coast avionics and Gulf coast avionics rebrands the Light speed
ANRs for 249.00 each.
Just bought a set and are worth every cent. Been flying for 25 years and
should have done it long ago.

Much less noise and makes it "mo-better" to concentrate. I'm really Mr.
Cheap with most other things.

Lightspeed will also sell refurbished headsets with a good warranty.
Might want to give them a call.

If $100 means one less hour to fly, then buy the less expensive ones, if
it doesn't, buy the ANRs.

Good Luck

Dave

Old August 16th 05, 04:33 PM
Paul kgyy

I recently bought the bottom end lightspeeds for rear seat use. I
tried them in the pilot seat and found them amazingly good for non-ANR
headsets.