Total electrical failure - (hypothetical)

Old March 21st 05, 02:35 AM
C J Campbell

"paul kgyy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was doing some practice IFR at home last night with my simulator, and
set up for random failures. First thing that happened was complete
electrical shut down - no radios, no VOR, no Xponder, and it suddenly
occurred to me that I'd never thought through what I would do. I do
carry backup comm and gps but what if those batteries were also dead,
and I'm in IMC?

This comes very close to the category of a non-critical emergency, defined
as an emergency where, no matter what you do, you are going to die. It is
one of the reasons that single engine light aircraft are unsuitable for long
periods of flight in IMC. Another, of course, is what do you do if your
engine quits? I think that it depends somewhat, too, on where you are and
what you are doing when everything goes dark. Suppose you were on an ILS,
500 feet above DH and in IMC, and you lose your electrical system, what do
you do? You just might be better off trying to continue the approach holding
your heading and rate of descent as closely as possible. You have to have an
out, or you don't do it. It is that simple.

I would hate to have to rely on a handheld GPS in such an emergency, though
of course it would be welcome as better than nothing. Not having that, dead
reckoning is a possibility and it is a skill that should be practiced. A
handheld radio is probably going to be almost useless, though some of them
have VOR.

I also have considered the practicality of heading for the shore, descending
to where I could see the ocean, then flying back in below the scud. The
trouble with this is that visibility usually gets worse over the ocean and
near the shoreline. There are still obstructions and terrain to be dealt
with, and now you have lost any practical ability to navigate with dead
reckoning. You are also going to use up a lot of fuel and you are burning
daylight (if it is night, well, you are welcome to try anything you want,
but your chances of surviving a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head are
probably better).

If you know that you can climb out of the clouds, then that is probably a
good option, but this presupposes either more luck than you deserve or you
planned on this being your out in the first place (do you really trust the
area forecast that much, and where are those tops, anyway?). You are still
left with the problem of finding a place to descend through the clouds
safely and land without running out of fuel, daylight, and ideas. Descending
out of the clouds might work, provided you don't hit anything on the way or
end up in a box canyon somewhere.

Newer single engine aircraft with glass cockpits have backup instruments and
some sort of backup electrical system, even if it is only certified for 30
minutes. They also have terrain displays so that you have at least a small
chance of descending out of the clouds without killing yourself. If equipped
for it, I would consider a total loss of the electrical system a legitimate
reason for deploying an emergency parachute such as CAPS. Beyond that, I
would say that you are taking a serious risk if you insist on flying a
single engine piston airplane in actual IMC beyond, say, punching through a
thin layer.

Old March 21st 05, 02:46 AM
C J Campbell

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Living near the coast (and a flat coastline too), I've often figured
in such a situation I'd dead-reckon out over the ocean, do a blind
letdown as low as I dared (500 MSL?) and hope I broke out. Then
scud-run back to land and hope I could find a coastal airport by
pilotage before I got run over by a jet. Or maybe land on the beach.

Well, as long as the coast is flat, it is day, and the weather does not get
worse at the coastline, maybe. So you land on the beach, which sounds best
to me, but suppose you are forced to land in someplace not so suitable and
you damage the plane and perhaps yourself? Now you are a long way off course
and nobody has any idea where to look for you.

Old March 21st 05, 12:09 PM

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Roy Smith" wrote in message

Living near the coast (and a flat coastline too), I've often figured
in such a situation I'd dead-reckon out over the ocean, do a blind
letdown as low as I dared (500 MSL?) and hope I broke out. Then
scud-run back to land and hope I could find a coastal airport by
pilotage before I got run over by a jet. Or maybe land on the beach.

Well, as long as the coast is flat, it is day, and the weather does not

get
worse at the coastline, maybe. So you land on the beach, which sounds best
to me, but suppose you are forced to land in someplace not so suitable and
you damage the plane and perhaps yourself? Now you are a long way off

course
and nobody has any idea where to look for you.

Now the only question is, do you have a beautiful woman with you, or not?

Old March 21st 05, 02:48 PM
C J Campbell

" wrote in message

Well, as long as the coast is flat, it is day, and the weather does not

get
worse at the coastline, maybe. So you land on the beach, which sounds

best
to me, but suppose you are forced to land in someplace not so suitable

and
you damage the plane and perhaps yourself? Now you are a long way off

course
and nobody has any idea where to look for you.

Now the only question is, do you have a beautiful woman with you, or not?

Generally not. She hates to fly.

Old March 21st 05, 05:13 PM
Michael

C J Campbell wrote:
This comes very close to the category of a non-critical emergency,

defined
as an emergency where, no matter what you do, you are going to die.

That's a hell of a defeatist attitude, and demonstrably wrong since
people HAVE survived exactly this situation.

I would hate to have to rely on a handheld GPS in such an emergency,

though
of course it would be welcome as better than nothing.

Actually, it is DRAMATICALLY better than nothing. It is more accurate,
more precise, and more reliable than any NDB and most VOR's. It can
effectively be used to shoot an overlay of any published NDB, VOR, or
VOR-DME approach to published minima. Being self-contained with its
own batteries, it is independent of the failure modes of the aircraft
(including the electrical bus) and thus is superior as a navigation
backup to anything installed in any certified single or light twin.

The ability to shoot an overlay using a handheld GPS should be part of
the repertoire of any instrument pilot. If you don't know how, ask
your instructor to show you. If he can't, he's not much of an
instructor.

Newer single engine aircraft with glass cockpits have backup

instruments and
some sort of backup electrical system, even if it is only certified

for 30
minutes.

That's because they lack vacuum, and thus in such aircraft electrical
failure also means gyro failure. I find that pretty scary. Vacuum may
suck, but at least it's a totally independent system. There are ways
of making electric backup systems truly independent and failsafe, but
none are available for certified single engine airplanes.

They also have terrain displays so that you have at least a small
chance of descending out of the clouds without killing yourself.

Terrain displays are available on the newer high-end handheld GPS
units.

Beyond that, I
would say that you are taking a serious risk if you insist on flying

single engine piston airplane in actual IMC beyond, say, punching

through a
thin layer.

That must be why self-flown business flights, which do this routinely,
are so much more dangerous than personal flights, which rarely do this.
Oh, wait...

Michael

Old March 21st 05, 07:52 PM
C J Campbell

"Michael" wrote in message
oups.com...
C J Campbell wrote:
This comes very close to the category of a non-critical emergency,

defined
as an emergency where, no matter what you do, you are going to die.

That's a hell of a defeatist attitude, and demonstrably wrong since
people HAVE survived exactly this situation.

Yes, and people have survived jumping out of the plane without a parachute
at 20,000 feet, too. But the odds are against it. Personally, I think the
way you deal with an electrical failure in IMC with no GPS or handheld radio
is that you avoid putting yourself in a situation where that can happen.

I would hate to have to rely on a handheld GPS in such an emergency,

though
of course it would be welcome as better than nothing.

Actually, it is DRAMATICALLY better than nothing. It is more accurate,
more precise, and more reliable than any NDB and most VOR's.

NDB, yes. VOR, highly questionable.

The ability to shoot an overlay using a handheld GPS should be part of
the repertoire of any instrument pilot. If you don't know how, ask
your instructor to show you.

I would agree with that.

Newer single engine aircraft with glass cockpits have backup

instruments and
some sort of backup electrical system, even if it is only certified

for 30
minutes.

That's because they lack vacuum

Nonsense. Most of them have backup vacuum instruments and even have dual
vacuum pumps, which older airplanes lack.

They also have terrain displays so that you have at least a small
chance of descending out of the clouds without killing yourself.

Terrain displays are available on the newer high-end handheld GPS
units.

True, mine has that.

Beyond that, I
would say that you are taking a serious risk if you insist on flying

single engine piston airplane in actual IMC beyond, say, punching

through a
thin layer.

That must be why self-flown business flights, which do this routinely,
are so much more dangerous than personal flights, which rarely do this.
Oh, wait...

In fact, self-flown business flights do not do this routinely, especially in
single engine piston aircraft. They are less dangerous than personal flights
because the pilots are better trained, the planes are better equipped, and
they are not going to kill themselves with low level VFR maneuvers, which is
the biggest killer of GA pilots.

Old March 21st 05, 08:24 PM
Nathan Young

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:52:31 -0800, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

I would hate to have to rely on a handheld GPS in such an emergency,

though
of course it would be welcome as better than nothing.

Actually, it is DRAMATICALLY better than nothing. It is more accurate,
more precise, and more reliable than any NDB and most VOR's.

NDB, yes. VOR, highly questionable.

The fact that a GPS is handheld has little to do with its accuracy.

With WAAS enabled, most handhelds are good to 10meters, and all GPS
are better than 100m accurate. Throw in the pseudo-HSI displays, and
I guarantee I can fly a more accurate emergency approach (assuming the
AI is still working ok) with the handheld GPS than I can with an NDB,
VOR, or LOC alone.

Where the handheld lacks is reliability, influenced by factors like:
no RAIM, lack of permanent antenna installations. Having said that,
I have flown with a Garmin 295 for 3 or 4 years now, and it is
accurate and reliable.

Would I launch into IMC with known electrical problems - of course
not. However, the odds having having a total electrical failure +
G295 failure + Iow IMC are small enough that I believe the risk to
flight caused by navigation/electrical failure is much lower than
mechanical failure or pilot error.

-Nathan

Old March 21st 05, 08:33 PM
C J Campbell

wrote:

I would hate to have to rely on a handheld GPS in such an emergency,
though
of course it would be welcome as better than nothing.

Actually, it is DRAMATICALLY better than nothing. It is more accurate,
more precise, and more reliable than any NDB and most VOR's.

NDB, yes. VOR, highly questionable.

The fact that a GPS is handheld has little to do with its accuracy.

Where the handheld lacks is reliability

Exactly. Moreover, some handhelds are much more reliable than others.

Would I launch into IMC with known electrical problems - of course
not.

Good for you. I suspect some others here would.

Old March 21st 05, 09:27 PM
MJC

I'd sure like to know who survived a free fall from 20,000 feet without a
parachute.
Really, I'm curious.

MJC

Old March 21st 05, 09:41 PM
Peter Clark

Quite a few he http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/wreckage.html

The one I recalled without googling for it was the flight attendant.
Doesn't she hold a Guinness world record?