Crossing an NDB 3 times on an approach?

Old November 28th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Crossing an NDB 3 times on an approach?

Would it make sense to cross an NDB 3 times in the completion of an
approach?

I'm thinking where there is a hold in lieu of a PT, you may cross the
NDB, complete a parallel hold entry, cross the NDB a second time, then
do a racetrack with timing and descent, then cross a third time as the
FAF.... Normal ops?
Old November 28th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

You are officially "in the hold" the first time you cross
the fix {in this case the NDB or a VOR} and if you're
established on the inbound course after intercepting the
course after your teardrop or direct entry, you can proceed
inbound or you have the option at pilot's discretion to go
around until you're established and ready. You can descend
to the approach altitude once you have established inbound,
which is when the needle on a VOR or the course on the NDB
has placed you on the inbound course.

Had the Hendrick pilots gone three times over the NDB [LOM}
they would not have died.

Old November 28th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jim Macklin wrote:
You are officially "in the hold" the first time you cross
the fix {in this case the NDB or a VOR} and if you're
established on the inbound course after intercepting the
course after your teardrop or direct entry, you can proceed
inbound or you have the option at pilot's discretion to go
around until you're established and ready.

If the hold is for course reversal in lieu of a procedure turn (bold
type, and you have been cleared for the approach, you are only allowed
one circuit in the hold unless you obtain a clearance for more than one
circuit.

(AIM 5-4-9 a 4)

Old November 28th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

if the altitude change requires more than 500 fpm, the pilot
should request the extra turns. Further the pilot should
not be rushed, if not properly established the options are
to request extra turns or go missed. At a busy airport, the
miss may be needed because of traffic, at a place where you
are the only traffic, ATC will approve what ever you need.

A pilot should know his limitations and those of his
airplane. If you have a lot of altitude to loose, you know
that before you get to the fix and should ask for time and
distance to allow this. Most controllers will as a routine
clearance authorize long legs on the initial clearance if
the airplane is not already at the initial approach
altitude.

Old November 28th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

If the hold is for course reversal in lieu of a procedure turn

.... so if you enter teardrop, turn and establish yourself inbound, you
just continue inbound? The teardrop entry counts as a circuit?

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old November 28th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Jim Macklin wrote:

if the altitude change requires more than 500 fpm, the pilot
should request the extra turns. Further the pilot should
not be rushed, if not properly established the options are
to request extra turns or go missed. At a busy airport, the
miss may be needed because of traffic, at a place where you
are the only traffic, ATC will approve what ever you need.

A pilot should know his limitations and those of his
airplane. If you have a lot of altitude to loose, you know
that before you get to the fix and should ask for time and
distance to allow this. Most controllers will as a routine
clearance authorize long legs on the initial clearance if
the airplane is not already at the initial approach
altitude.

If the pilot needs it, requests it, and is granted the clearance, that
is fine.

But, if he arrives at the course reversal hold on altitude, criteria
will protect him from high descent rates.

Old November 29th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Gentlemen, to recap, my example was with a parallel entry, where after
first crossing the ndb you are on the non holding side. So where do
you start descent then?

Also, after the first 1 minute and turn back to the holding side, in
the direction of the ndb, you perhaps may decide not to intercept the
inbound course but proceed direct to the fix. So now you proceed
straight in?

Old November 29th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

Also, after the first 1 minute and turn back to the holding side, in
the direction of the ndb, you perhaps may decide not to intercept the
inbound course but proceed direct to the fix. So now you proceed
straight in?

While it's true that you don't have the benefit of a minute of flying to
determine wind correction, when you are over the NDB you know exactly
where you are and what direction you are facing. If you've approached
it with a 30 degree intercept, you may well have a good idea of what the
winds are. So, yes, I don't see any danger (in most situations) in
proceeding straight in.

This is, of course, different from saying that this is what the rules say.

Jose

Old November 29th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

That is true, if at the altitude. For example in the case
of the Hendrick crash, the BE 200 was at 5.000 and the
initial is 3600. Then the crew got lost over the LOM and
just did a 360 and never went outbound.