Scared of mid-airs

Old May 10th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default Scared of mid-airs

Larry
I've been flying over 50 years and have about 23,000 hours logged. I
can count the number of near misses with aircraft on one finger.
Ya WANNA LIVE FOREVER?
sheeesh
Rocky aka Ol Shy & Bashful

Old May 10th 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Larry Dighera wrote:
On 10 May 2006 09:57:27 -0700, "Ol Shy & Bashful"
wrote in
. com::

Fear of mid-airs? Come give me a break! sheeesh

I'm sure that's what the victims of these MACs thought too:

You have entirely too much free time on your hands. Ever go flying?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 10th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

OK.

I will not speak my mind on this forum if this is what happens.

Thanks to all the insightful posts by all you other people!

I just needed to put some statistics into perspective.
After all, I witnessed a mid air right before starting my PPL.

However, tha last week I've flown a few times, and haven't thought much
about it anymore.

I guess mr Ol Shy here is flying around his farm in the middle of nowhere at
300 feet in his ultralight.

I only have 250 hours total, and have had 3 close encounters. Not really
"near misses" apart from one of them, but they were still to me
uncomfortably close, so you claiming 23.000 hours with none....?
Hmmm...makes you wonder...

Frode

"Ol Shy & Bashful" skrev i melding
oups.com...

Old May 10th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Frode
Care to come take a look at my logbooks? I've been flying all over the
world and much of it, about 13000 hours, crop dusting.
If the thought of a midair scares you, stay on the ground, or in
bed.....
If you have had several near miisses in your brief career, please let
me know where you will be flying so I can avoid the area?

Old May 10th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On 05/10/06 15:02, Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Frode
Care to come take a look at my logbooks? I've been flying all over the
world and much of it, about 13000 hours, crop dusting.
If the thought of a midair scares you, stay on the ground, or in
bed.....

I assume what you meant was that no one should let the thought of
a mid-air collision scare them to the point they cannot fly safely?

If any person is *not* afraid of a mid-air collision, they shouldn't be
flying.

If you have had several near miisses in your brief career, please let
me know where you will be flying so I can avoid the area?

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old May 10th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote:
I've been flying all over the
world and much of it, about 13000 hours, crop dusting.

I could see running into tall scarecrows, birds, or the occasional semi-
trailer Magnum Oil truck while you try to kill Cary Grant, but I can't see
you encountering many other planes at the low altitudes you probably spent
all that time flying. :-)

By the way, are you the pilot flying this plane:
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3...1600/NBN12.jpg

;-)
Old May 11th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

i've had a number of near-misses (near-hits??) but i usually manage to
dodge at the last second before it can run into my tail. i think those
geese are just show-offs.

dan...my car and motorcycle are each faster than my plane.

Old May 11th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Larry et al, mid-air collisions DO happen. Fortunately, they are rare. So
rare in fact that when one occurs, it makes news, and there are government
agencies all over the world to examine 'why?' and try to eliminate the
causes. One should worry that they are not as common as lost-life
collisions between motor vehicles. So common are they, that they hardly
make a couple of column inches in the middle of section 'D' of your local
newspaper. but let a couple of light aircraft get together 2000 miles away,
it's right there on page 1.

Pilots have fairly elaborate, yet simple, easy-to-remember procedures that
govern who has the 'right-of-way' under any circumstances. While you are
training, these will, or should be, drilled into you.

If this fear is really keeping you from flying, there are fairly reasonable
devices that will 'listen' for other aircraft's transponder signals and
alert you to the direction and range to other traffic. Not totally
fail-safe, because not all aircraft have, or use, transponders, but when
you know where the ones are that do have 'em, it's easier to look for those
who don't.

Don't let fear of something so rare stand in the way of what you really
want to do

My $.02

Jim Ricks
Old May 11th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 05/10/06 15:02, Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Frode
Care to come take a look at my logbooks? I've been flying all over the
world and much of it, about 13000 hours, crop dusting.
If the thought of a midair scares you, stay on the ground, or in
bed.....

I assume what you meant was that no one should let the thought of
a mid-air collision scare them to the point they cannot fly safely?

If any person is *not* afraid of a mid-air collision, they shouldn't be
flying.

I totally agree with your comment, and in fact have taught every student
I've ever had in an airplane, and I mean EVERY student, to spend every
second in the air scanning for airplanes that in 99.9% of the time won't be
there.
It's that extra .1% that will kill you, EVERY TIME!! :-))
Dudley Henriques

Old May 11th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:20:32 -0700, Mark Hansen
wrote:

On 05/10/06 15:02, Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
Frode
Care to come take a look at my logbooks? I've been flying all over the
world and much of it, about 13000 hours, crop dusting.
If the thought of a midair scares you, stay on the ground, or in
bed.....

I assume what you meant was that no one should let the thought of
a mid-air collision scare them to the point they cannot fly safely?

If any person is *not* afraid of a mid-air collision, they shouldn't be
flying.

We may be dealing in semantics, but fear reduces our ability to
function. In some people to the point of being unable to function.

I am well aware of the possibility of a collision and I try to remain
vigilant and concerned, but I would use the same words old Shy used.
No one who is afraid/scared of part of flying should be flying.
Address the fear in a realistic manner so it becomes no more than a
concern. Then fly.

Many students have fears and those are addressed in training and
should become things of which we are aware and for which we conduct
ourselves in a manner which should reduce or eliminate the chance of
the collision.

If you have had several near miisses in your brief career, please let
me know where you will be flying so I can avoid the area?

I've had thee close encounters since 1963. The last was nearly 10
years ago when landing. It was nearly dark and an ultralight pulled
right in front of me just a few hundred feet off the ground when I was
on final. The two previous "close encounters" were back in the 60's
and within a couple of weeks of each other.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com