"Outlandings" discussion

Old January 28th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default "Outlandings" discussion

On Jan 27, 7:22*pm, Andreas Maurer wrote:

Since cows don't tend to on airfields...

In my many landouts only 2 had encounters with cows. Both were on
prepared runways and one was at a fenced municipal airport. At
Muleshoe near Littlefield I had pushed the glider to the ramp (apron)
and spent the next hour trying to keep a large herd of cows that
appeared from behind a hangar from approaching the glider. At a ranch
strip NW of Uvalde a very pregnant cow took a liking to the glider,
shredded the canopy cover, bent the TE probe, and did its best to get
in the way while we derigged. It's hard to argue with a large bovine
when you have a wing root in both hands. I don't know if is
significant that both these contests were in Texas.

To the OP. It may not matter what you call your landings, but if your
buddies all got home and are drinking beer and you call for a retieve,
I suspect they'll all think you landed out. And if you are in a
contest, and you only get distance points, the other contestants will
also think you landed out. (US perspective, YMMV)

Andy
Old January 28th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Andy hit the nail on the head: If your buds drink all your beer and
you have to buy dinner, it's a landout!

Here in Illinois where I fly, you have to try pretty hard (in a glass
ship) to land off-field; there's an airport just about every 15
miles. Which makes it fun to push just that extra mile late in the
day, knowing you can get a short aero-retrieve if you pooch your final
glide.

And, while I have no hesitation to land at a strange airport, I am
more and more reluctant to risk my ship in an off field landing during
non-contest flights - it's just too easy to keep a good airport option
open all the time (really easy with a good PDA moving map).

Of course, this does require some homework, making sure you know where
all the good landing strips/airfields are located in your area - just
because they are on a sectional or database doesn't mean they really
exist!

Contests, naturally, may require a slightly higher level of risk - but
you can't win if your ship is damaged, can you?

Kirk
66
Old January 28th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

I'm with Andy & Kirk - if I don't make it back to my home field and my
beer cooler it's an outlanding. I have also landed in easy fields and
at difficult narrow strips and don't believe you should categorize one
as necessarily easier than the other.

Maybe it's no coincidence that the three of us have all flown a lot in
Arizona and the southwest USA where we have some really tricky strips.

Mike
Old January 28th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Culbertson

On Jan 28, 2:38*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
I'm with Andy & Kirk - if I don't make it back to my home field and my
beer cooler it's an outlanding. *I have also landed in easy fields and
at difficult narrow strips and don't believe you should categorize one
as necessarily easier than the other.

Maybe it's no coincidence that the three of us have all flown a lot in
Arizona and the southwest USA where we have some really tricky strips.

Mike

Yep, I agree, if you're buying the beer etc. it's an "Official
Landout" and I agree the SW strips can be sporty

2007 was a banner year for me with 7 landouts, a personal best, I even
had three in a row, a "hat trick" so I'm told.

2 - At a private sectional noted dirt AP, long strip but cut into the
side of a sizable hill with some pine trees & cross winds to be aware
of. W/ one aero retrieve and one call your buddies / beer retrieve.
About 17 miles from my home AP.
2 - At a sloping farmers field about 12 miles from my Home AP, beer
etc. retrieve.
1 - At a new but previously unknown until I was 1500 over it grass/
dirt strip, but entertaining with a tree on one side in the middle,
irrigation piping along the other side, yes to miss the tree I had to
put my wing over the irrigation pipe and just to keep it interesting
an active tractor blocking one end. The very friendly owner flew me
back to my AP in his plane so I could PU my Truck and self retrieve.
Beers all around! 25 miles from my home AP.
1 - At a sloping grass field sandwiched between a T-storm out flow
and class B, with surface wind 25kts & gusting, 25 miles from my home
AP, no damage to my ship but a very tough day for many.
1 - On a dirt road, that once was also used as a private strip and
noted on the local TP list as such, but it had a few steel posts to
avoid, so good thing I always go for the short roll. This was after
passing on another private strip noted on the TP list as a private
strip possibility but found to have hazards in the middle of the
strip. About 50 miles from my home AP.

All of the above landing locations in my opinion contained the
standard risks of an off airport landing, so I'll count them all as
adding seven more to my next contest entry questionair. No damage to
my ship in any of the above noted landouts but the potential is always
in you rmind. If you're lucky enough to be setting it down on a Big ol
Asphalt 100' wide with a 5,000' runway then it's not a true off
airport landing, but if it's not your home AP then your still buying
the beer etc. so...

21
Colorado

Old January 29th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 27, 7:07*am, "
wrote:
So, what do you call an outlanding?

Great discussion on this topic. Last year at Region 9 Parowan, the
attending ground crews (SCUM) spontaneously coined a new objective for
their racers on or about the third day of the contest. The goal was to
"land in". That says it all to me. Everything else is a landout.

Horst
L33
Old January 29th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm

On Jan 28, 10:32 pm, wrote:
On Jan 27, 7:07 am, "
wrote:

So, what do you call an outlanding?

Great discussion on this topic. Last year at Region 9 Parowan, the
attending ground crews (SCUM) spontaneously coined a new objective for
their racers on or about the third day of the contest. The goal was to
"land in". That says it all to me. Everything else is a landout.

Horst
L33

How about this one: day 2 at Perry last year. 2 turnpoints in
opposite directions
from the home field. I never could find lift beyond Perry on the way
to turnpoint 2
and wound up landing in front of my trailer. Only distance points as
a result.
Old January 29th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well I just like to keep my trailer excersized. Ive flown small
triangles and came back home. It was cool but sort of boring in its
own way. Im working on getting the CAP to be my crew for at least
some flights this summer. that should be cool! Might have to add a
tent to my landout kit!

I have landed at a few airports and I guess I wouldnt technically
consider them landouts from my perspective but they certainly are from
the crews perspective. Short wings are good for missing the runway
lights
Old January 29th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

It's Shaw's "two countries divided by a common language" again,
Martin. In aviation parlance over here, CAP means Civil Air Patrol,
the guys who go out searching for overdue pilots.

It's easy to get confused. A few weeks ago, you started a post with
"snap". I couldn't find anything in your post that indicated something
was broken, but then an English friend explained the game you were
referring to. Another confusing point was a reference to Noddy in
another posting - Wikipedia explained that over here we'd use Mickey
Mouse. Finally, there's that Rube Goldberg/Heath Robinson thing...

English as she are spoke...

-John

On Jan 29, 4:35 pm, Martin Gregorie
Well I just like to keep my trailer excersized. Ive flown small
triangles and came back home. It was cool but sort of boring in its
own way. Im working on getting the CAP to be my crew for at least
some flights this summer. that should be cool! Might have to add a
tent to my landout kit!

Why would a Civil Aviation Publication require a tent?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old January 30th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jan 29, 4:58 pm, jcarlyle wrote:
It's Shaw's "two countries divided by a common language" again,

Sometimes ascribed to Wilde.

It's easy to get confused. A few weeks ago, you started a post with
"snap". I couldn't find anything in your post that indicated something
was broken, but then an English friend explained the game you were
referring to. Another confusing point was a reference to Noddy in
another posting - Wikipedia explained that over here we'd use Mickey
Mouse. Finally, there's that Rube Goldberg/Heath Robinson thing...

English as she are spoke...

If you think Noddy is a tough one, try explaining the cultural
significance of Noddy's friend the Golliwog to an American.

Mike

Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land" Robert M. Gary Piloting 168 February 5th 08 05:32 PM
Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land" Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 137 February 5th 08 05:32 PM
Old polish aircraft TS-8 "Bies" ("Bogy") - for sale >pk Aviation Marketplace 0 October 16th 06 07:48 AM
Desktop Wallpaper - "The "Hanoi Taxi"". T. & D. Gregor, Sr. Simulators 0 December 31st 05 06:59 PM