Alexis Park Inn

Old January 12th 05, 04:20 AM
Ron R

Default Alexis Park Inn

Congradulations Jay for getting mentioned in the 11 January Wall Street
Journal! As the saying goes any press is good press!

Old January 12th 05, 09:48 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:20:41 -0500, Ron R wrote:

Congradulations Jay for getting mentioned in the 11 January Wall Street
Journal! As the saying goes any press is good press!

Yes, I read it to my wife and said: "That's Jay Honeck who posts in
the aviation newsgroup." She was VERY impressed.

(Never mind that what Alexis Park Inn was doing what we as travelers
hate to see: 72 hour commitment!)

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
Old January 12th 05, 02:07 PM
Jay Honeck

Congradulations Jay for getting mentioned in the 11 January Wall Street
Journal! As the saying goes any press is good press!

Really?

I don't subscribe to the WSJ -- is there an on-line version of the article?
What did they say about us?

(I know they interviewed Mary last week -- when I had laryngitis -- about
our cancellation policy...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 12th 05, 02:08 PM
Jay Honeck

(Never mind that what Alexis Park Inn was doing what we as travelers
hate to see: 72 hour commitment!)

BTW -- for PILOTS ONLY we offer our "IFR Cancellation Policy" -- meaning
that you can cancel right up till 6 PM if conditions drop below VFR minimums
along your route of flight.

We know what it's like traveling in Spam Cans...
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 12th 05, 03:41 PM
Jay Honeck

I just emailed you a copy of the article.

Got it -- thanks, Rod.

Although "article" may be a bit grand. It's more like a 3-word mention (in
passing, at that) in a one paragraph "blurb"...

What's funny is they don't give the issue any context at all, nor do they
even explain *why* we have a 72 hour cancellation policy. Since I overheard
Mary explaining it the reporter, it's not like they didn't know the
answer -- they just didn't bother to pose the question.

Ah, well. After spending most of my life in newspapers, I really shouldn't
be surprised.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 12th 05, 04:05 PM
John Theune

Jay Honeck wrote:
I just emailed you a copy of the article.

Got it -- thanks, Rod.

Although "article" may be a bit grand. It's more like a 3-word mention (in
passing, at that) in a one paragraph "blurb"...

What's funny is they don't give the issue any context at all, nor do they
even explain *why* we have a 72 hour cancellation policy. Since I overheard
Mary explaining it the reporter, it's not like they didn't know the
answer -- they just didn't bother to pose the question.

Ah, well. After spending most of my life in newspapers, I really shouldn't
be surprised.

I am curious just why you have a 72 hour cancellation policy. It is not
normal for hotels and it would be a show stopper for me. I looked at
the web site and it also gives no reason for the policy. I can
understand the special event policy although I don't agree with it.
Old January 12th 05, 05:15 PM
Jay Honeck

I am curious just why you have a 72 hour cancellation policy. It is not
normal for hotels and it would be a show stopper for me. I looked at the
web site and it also gives no reason for the policy. I can understand the
special event policy although I don't agree with it.

Because, when you have just 27 suites -- and each one is unique -- you can't
afford to let irresponsible (or dishonorable) people reserve suites that
they have no intention of using.

When you reserve a suite at our place, it is "guaranteed." Basically, we
will hold it for you all night, no matter what, possibly turning away half a
dozen people who wanted that suite.

Sadly, we have discovered that a small (but growing) subset of humans are
complete as*holes, who book suites with no intention of showing up. I
suspect these are the same people that don't return library books, fail to
return rented movies when they are due, don't show up for parties after
RSVP-ing, and/or perform any number of other mildly dishonest and
dishonorable actions. It's truly sad.

If I owned a 100-room Super 8, it wouldn't matter a bit -- one room is the
same as the next, and no one cares WHICH room they get. However, if I've
turned away someone who wanted (for example) the "Blackbird Suite" (because
they are really, really into the SR-71), I'm screwed if the guest who
reserved it cancels at the last minute -- or, far worse, simply doesn't show
up.

In our place, offering the "Red Baron Suite" to someone who's into high
performance jets just doesn't work.

I've lost count of the number of hundred dollar bills I would have burned,
waiting for SOBs that never show up and never call. Which is why we get a
credit card number when they make a "guaranteed" reservation -- and then run
it for the full amount of their reservation when they don't show up.

If you're as depressed about this as I am, take heart: We have never, EVER
been stiffed by a pilot.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 12th 05, 05:22 PM
Jon Kraus

Even if you filed IFR?

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Old January 12th 05, 06:17 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 16:15:23 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in v2cFd.2612$EG1.2063@attbi_s53::

I am curious just why you have a 72 hour cancellation policy. It is not
normal for hotels and it would be a show stopper for me.

When you reserve a suite at our place, it is "guaranteed." Basically, we
will hold it for you all night, no matter what, possibly turning away half a
dozen people who wanted that suite.

So it doesn't take three days to find an alternate lodger for a given
suite?

Which is why we get a
credit card number when they make a "guaranteed" reservation -- and then run
it for the full amount of their reservation when they don't show up.

So if the potential lodger has booked a multi-day stay, you bill them
for all the days they reserved?