What determines LNAV "circling mode"?

Old October 1st 03, 02:13 AM
Jack

Default What determines LNAV "circling mode"?

I have been trying to figure out what is happening with my Cambridge
LNAV since in several flights "speed-to-fly" bars have never appeared,
even in a long continuous glide straight at the goal indicated by the
connected Cambridge GPS. Since "speed-to-fly" bars only appear in
"cruise" mode possibly my LNAV is somehow always in "circling" mode -
but I cannot find in my very thin LNAV manual (version 4, march
1995) what determines the choice of "cruise" vs "circling" mode so am
hoping someone here has that knowledge so I can at least know how I
should _expect_ it to behave.

(FYI I do not believe I have the G-meter option, though can't say for
sure since I was not the one who purchased the LNAV new.)

Old October 1st 03, 04:40 AM
JJ Sinclair

Jack,
If you don't have a *G* switch in your L-Nav, then you must have an external
switch to do it. On a flapped sailplane, it can be a micro-switch in the flap
drive system to put the L-Nav in climb mode when positive flaps are commanded.
In a standard class ship, the switch is usually mounted on the stick.

Having said that, I no longer feel the need to switch. With GPS constantly
driving your position in the L-Nav, the distance to your selected destination
will always be correct. I just leave it in cruse mode with the audio off and my
back-up vario (B-40) on with audio up. I get audio only when I'm going up and
no distracting speed-to-fly audio, when crusing. If I feel the need to see what
old Mr. MacCready thinks about my speed, I just look at the speed-to-fly
needle.
JJ Sinclair
Old October 1st 03, 06:06 AM
Jack Glendening

JJ,
Thanks for the info. I know there is no switch on the stick and am
pretty sure there is no microswitch on the flaps, so perhaps I have a
G meter after all !? I have to replace the battery anyhow so will check
it out when I have the LNAV opened and will also check the back for a
hold switch connection. I also see there is a calibration for the
Gmeter and will check it if I do have a Gmeter since I certainly was at
1G in my long glide with no "speed-to-fly" bars appearing.
Jack

Old October 1st 03, 06:11 AM
Jack Glendening

PS I can't follow your second suggestion since I have a Winter
mechanical vario with no audio - and more importantly right now it's
reading a permanent 8kts up (even on the ground) so will also be looking
at it when I have the panel cover removed.

Old October 1st 03, 06:28 AM
John Morgan

If you don't have the G-meter option, there are two other ways the LNAV
might use to let it know if you're circling or in cruise. Your glider may
have a switch installed on the flap mechanism to sense selection of
thermalling flaps, or it could have a manual toggle or selector switch on
the panel or stick.
--
bumper
"Dare to be different . . . circle in sink."

"Jack" wrote in message
link.net...
I have been trying to figure out what is happening with my Cambridge
LNAV since in several flights "speed-to-fly" bars have never appeared,
even in a long continuous glide straight at the goal indicated by the
connected Cambridge GPS. Since "speed-to-fly" bars only appear in
"cruise" mode possibly my LNAV is somehow always in "circling" mode -
but I cannot find in my very thin LNAV manual (version 4, march
1995) what determines the choice of "cruise" vs "circling" mode so am
hoping someone here has that knowledge so I can at least know how I
should _expect_ it to behave.

(FYI I do not believe I have the G-meter option, though can't say for
sure since I was not the one who purchased the LNAV new.)

---

Old October 2nd 03, 01:20 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Jack" wrote in message
link.net...
I have been trying to figure out what is happening with my Cambridge
LNAV since in several flights "speed-to-fly" bars have never appeared,
even in a long continuous glide straight at the goal indicated by the
connected Cambridge GPS.

Regards the Climb/Cruise switch that you have been advised about:
If the switch is in the "Cruise" mode the Speed to Fly bars should always be
in view.
If the switch is in the "Climb" mode the Speed to Fly bars should come into
view when flying at a speed greater than about 60 kts.

If you never see the Speed to Fly bars then you may have an electronic
failure. In that case you will get to run a test as to whether Cambridge
really will still do repairs.

Duane

Old October 2nd 03, 01:42 AM
Marc Ramsey

"Duane Eisenbeiss" wrote...
If you never see the Speed to Fly bars then you may have an electronic
failure. In that case you will get to run a test as to whether Cambridge
really will still do repairs.

Which Cambridge? 8^)

Old October 2nd 03, 06:06 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
m...

"Duane Eisenbeiss" wrote...
If you never see the Speed to Fly bars then you may have an electronic
failure. In that case you will get to run a test as to whether

Cambridge
really will still do repairs.

Which Cambridge? 8^)

The L-Nav that is being discussed.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:11 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
m...

Which Cambridge? 8^)

I think that I maybe misunderstood your question. Did you mean which CAI
company?
If so I do not know. That is what I meant by "running a test". CAI seems
to be in a real state of flux.

Duane

Old October 2nd 03, 06:12 PM
303pilot

I'm new to my LNAV also. Are you on the screen that displays "alt req" in
the altitude field? It's a screen or two 'right' of the main one on the SW
version I have. GPS 20 5.1 w/LNAV 5.6
"Jack Glendening" wrote in message
link.net...
I checked out the LNAV on my glider today and
(1) there is nothing plugged into the "hold" jack on the rear - so
there can't be a hold switch anywhere
(2) there is no mention of a Gmeter on the screen mentioned by Paul
Remde and the Gmeter configuration setting is for "0G" - so there isn't
a Gmeter
(3) I can't test whether the GPS is used for the cruise/circling mode,
which would seem to be the only option left - but as mentioned in the
original posting in my last flight I did a straight glide to the GPS
goal and never saw the "speed-to-fly" bars so if that is what is
supposed to be going on then it is broken
(4) it seems like an as yet unmentioned possbility is that Cambridge
at some early stage had a different GPS cruise/circling criterion than
that described in the latest manual (since nothing about such a
criterion is mentioned in the manual I do have).

For the record, I have not been flying this plane/LNAV much since
purchase so have no idea what "normal" is! On most of my flights no
speed-to-fly bars have _ever_ appeared (as on my last flight) but on a
few flights they _have_ appeared and I'll be damned if I can figure out
any difference on those flights which might explain their sudden

appearance.

In any case the unit now needs to go to (whichever) Cambridge for repair
as since my last flight I have suddenly lost three "elements" from each
of three number characters (all in the same column!) as determined by a
display test - I know that they were OK on my last flight since the loss
is apparent when setting the initial field elevation, which I always do
on startup So I will ask them to also test the cruise/circling option
setting and see what they say. (Lately I seem to be not a pilot but an
"airplane maintainer", since something new seems to break on every
flight I take - my last flight was my first after a down period while I
worked on repairing the tailwheel fork and the retraction motor

operation!)

Thanks for all your help.