HSL on deployment

Old April 11th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default HSL on deployment

My son is soon to complete FRS flying the SH-60B, just wondering what
the future holds when he deploys. Presumably on a cruiser or destroyer.
How do the aviators 'fit' in the ship's responsibilities, typical (if
there is such a thing) deployment lengths, do they get attached to the
same ship all the time or varies depending on need. How many hours of
flight time, frequency of training (SAR, ASW etc) flights?
Just wondering...
Thanks

John

Old April 11th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
My son is soon to complete FRS flying the SH-60B, just wondering what
the future holds when he deploys. Presumably on a cruiser or destroyer.
How do the aviators 'fit' in the ship's responsibilities, typical (if
there is such a thing) deployment lengths, do they get attached to the
same ship all the time or varies depending on need. How many hours of
flight time, frequency of training (SAR, ASW etc) flights?
Just wondering...
Thanks

John

Each one of these questions could take several paragraphs to respond to. I
suggest you identify which squadron he will be reporting to and call the
Public Affairs Officer (PAO) on the phone. If he/she's unwilling to discuss
over an 'open line', then go buy them a cup of coffee and discuss your
concerns in person.

If the PAO is 'clueless' (often the case as it is usually the most junior
Officer) then talk to the Command Master Chief (CMC).

Old April 12th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Six-seven month deployments after 3-4 months of short cruises (duration
1-3 weeks each), most helo aviators are welcomed aboard ship - not
exactly as equals but at least better than most "non-ship's company".
during work-ups, they will have lots of ASW practice and at least
occasional SAR flights but when the cruise itself begins, two likely
scenarios play out - his ship sails with a battlegroup and he is tied
to a carrier, or the ship ends up doing more detached service. if he
is stuck in a BG, then its a lot of ocean searches, identifying little
bonka boats and aging tankers, occasionally working with foreign
navies, etc. detached sailing means the possibility of going into the
Gulf, getting 'involved',.. spending more time in exotic locations.
Having done both kinds of cruise in HSL, nothing beats the
opportunities you get once you leave the carrier far behind.

Your son will love it, trust me. Years from now he will look back on
these deployments as some of the best times of his life.

v/r
Gordon

Old April 12th 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Slightly offtopic... but close to what you mentioned, Gordon, in the
small Carrier Strike Groups (insetad of larger CVBGs of 1980s), there
must be even more probable SH-60Bs from "smallboys" are detached to the
carrier.

Some Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates are gone for foreign navies
(e.g. two of them we have in Poland), Spruance-class destroyers without
AEGIS might be regarded too old to protect the carriers, many Arleigh
Burke-class ships have no helo hangar, and CVWs are smaller than in the
good old days. So there is a need for helos, and not much place for
landing, except the Boat...

I guess it must be much more convenient now to detach some LAMPS helos
to the carrier for maintenance and safety reasons?...

Best regards,
Jacek

Old April 13th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Yeah, but the food on a bird farm is never as good - Eisenhower chow
was dreadful, Midway bland - but on a Tin Can, we always had good
food..

v/r Gordon

Old April 14th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

As I started to reply to this post feeling that the memories of my HSL
deployment were still fresh in my head, I realized that almost 21 years
have passed since then. So while I feel I can speak with authority on
how it was in the mid-80's, I have no way of knowing how they handle
things now. But the U.S. Navy is an institution that embraces change in
some arenas and refuses to step out of the past in others. With that
being said I feel I can confirm some generalities:

Life on anything-but-a-CV is much better than life on a CV. The food is
better, berthing spaces are better (quieter), fresh water tends to be
more plentiful (no water hours), and a whole host of other things that
are practically impossible on a ship with 6,000 people. Which includes
a close-knit small-town know-everybody atmosphere.

Ask anybody who has sailed on both which one they'd rather stick with
and I'm sure the majority with say "small-boy".

Michael E. Fenyes
HSL-33 '83-'86

Old April 14th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Mike, is it? Always good to meet a former Seasnake.

You still have one kid, Mikoyan, or are you still building more?

All is well in San Diego - I miss your company old friend.

v/r
Gordon

-Seasnakes for ****in' ever!-

Old April 14th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

In article .com,
"Gordon" wrote:

Yeah, but the food on a bird farm is never as good - Eisenhower chow
was dreadful, Midway bland - but on a Tin Can, we always had good
food..

It may not be as good, but you can get it nearly 24 hours a day. Nothing
like going to the forward galley at 0'dark thirty and loading up your
flight suit leg pockets with a couple of sliders which have been under a
heat lamp for a few hours. ; )

--Mike
Old April 18th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Gordon wrote:
Yeah, but the food on a bird farm is never as good - Eisenhower chow
was dreadful, Midway bland - but on a Tin Can, we always had good
food..

v/r Gordon

As far as I remember, once upon a time when Ike and America served as
"floating airfields" for US Army helicopters deployed to SoLant, the
bottom line about the Army people stationed on the carriers was "the
Navy chow is good!"

Just imagine how bad must be the Army food

Best regards,
Jacek