F-35's Costs Climb Along With Concerns

Old May 1st 06, 01:13 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default F-35's Costs Climb Along With Concerns

Paul J. Adam wrote:
Packard cleaned up the castings, milled the mating faces approximately
flat (at least, compared to a metal-metal seal) and put a gasket between
them. I don't recall hearing tales of P-51s routinely or regularly falling
from the skies when their engines failed, nor of the Packard Spitfires
being execrated for unreliability (or, for that matter, lack of
horsepower).

A family friend, now departed, was a wrench-turner on (American)
Merlins during the war. He always said the Packard was easier to
work on, but did not take damage as well as, the RR version. His
reasoning was that, where RR might use (arbitrarily, as I can't recall
his exact words) 30 bolts spaced closely to attach an exhaust manifold,
Packard would use 20 spaced farther apart. He said that he saw
cases where Packard and Rolls-Royce engines would come back
with near-identical damage and the genuine article could still produce
power.

Jeff

Old May 1st 06, 02:05 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

My father-in-law had a similiar experience here in Canada. In circa
1942 he was an apprentice machinist for a new factory tasked with
manufacturing a British 4.5" naval gun design. IIRC, the original
British procedure for any shaft/bushing was to machine the shaft with
0.020 in interference and the hand file the shaft to fit. As he said,
there wasn't one in a hundred in their labour pool that could do this.
Part of his job was developing new dimensions and tolerances to allow
parts to be manufactured independently, inspected for dimensions, and
then assembled without further machining.

Old May 4th 06, 12:08 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , Ricardo
writes
Incidentally, a few sources have claimed that the Packard built Merlin,
whilst a superb engine, lacked the power levels of the Rolls Royce
version. This, it is claimed, was because the British kept secret the
composition of the phosphor-bronze bearings that they used in the engine.
No, I can't quote a source/s.

On the other hand, I heard - from "old factory hands" lecturing on
manufacturing technique at Highbury College in 1988 - that a big
difference between Packard and Rolls-Royce was in fitting the cylinder
head.

Rolls-Royce used a precision hand-scraped metal-to-metal fit. Very
effective, though extremely demanding in scarce skilled labour.
(Attempting to 'file flat' is a useful exercise for a trainee mechanical
engineer; it teaches a certain humility in demanding surface finishes)

When I started work as an engineering apprentice at ICI they still
sealed the main steam joints on the turbines in the power station
this way. It isnt the file flat that's so time consuming as the
scraping of the surface until its flat according to the reference
surface plate.

They now use a lapping machine and gasket and its no less
reliable and a LOT quicker, plus I doubt there are many
fitters around with the skills to scrape joints flat any more.

Keith

Old May 4th 06, 12:15 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

wrote in message
In article ,
(DeepSea) wrote:

That is interesting - I had no idea that British interest is
what gave the P-51 its start.

At the time Britain was buying every fighter they could get
their hands on, including the Brewster Buffalo. British and
French purchasing gave a major boost to the US aircraft industry.
The first production orders for the Airacobra were from France.

Ken Young

The first use of the Grumman Wildcat in combat was by
the Fleet Air Arm of the RN

Keith

Old May 4th 06, 12:42 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Note that this is sort of the same approach that lost Germany the war.
Everything was hand-finished to very high standards, while us sloppy
folks cranked out ten times as many tanks as they could because we let
the tolerances be looser and eliminated a lot of the skilled
'touch-labor' in the finishing stages.

Hmmm. I wouldn't ride that horse too far.

Ever see a 1944 built Walther P-38, or Waffenfabrik Mauser?
They didn't spend nearly any time finishing them as compared to
the early war versions.

The German record was very mixed

They certainly become very efficient at manufacturing light weapons,
the MG-42 was a classic design that was simple , reliable and
excellent. Trouble is they also made plenty of monstrously complex
weapons systems. The Panther and Tiger tanks were examples of
technically advanced weapons that simply couldnt be cranked out in
the numbers needed due to the complexity of their manufacture.

"US folk" cranked out so much hardware because there were more of
us, we had more natural resources at hand, and we weren't being bombed.

Trouble is even Britain outproduced Germany for much of the war
with fewer natural resources and we WERE being bombed.
Bombing didnt seriously disrupt the German manufacture of weapons
until mid 1943 by which time the tide of war had turned. The allies
decided in many cases to accept technically inferior weapons
if they could be more easily mass produced

Compare Battle tank production in 1943

Germany 3,000 Mk 4, 3,800 Panthers, 650 Tigers
USA 21,000 M4 Sherman

Keith

Old May 4th 06, 10:07 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Harry Andreas wrote:

PS: now that the Hobbit's (Rooney) out, what will England do?

Try and win some football without a spoilt brat throwing tantrums on the
pitch and verbally abusing the match officials when, rightly, he is
called to task.
Old May 4th 06, 10:51 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

In article , Ricardo
wrote:

Harry Andreas wrote:

PS: now that the Hobbit's (Rooney) out, what will England do?

Try and win some football without a spoilt brat throwing tantrums on the
pitch and verbally abusing the match officials when, rightly, he is
called to task.

LOL!

Well, Ashley Cole looked all right today anyway.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur