Rogue's Gallery -- A favor, please...

Old December 20th 03, 11:00 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Rogue's Gallery -- A favor, please...

No more side-scrolling, I hope!

I think I've got the page formatted so that it "scales" to different screen
resolutions without requiring side-scrolling to see everything. Fixing it
involved converting everything from plain text to "tables" that can be set
to a percentage of size -- thanks to everyone who suggested that process.

Please check it out at http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm, and
let me know if it now looks okay under your screen resolutions?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 03, 11:21 PM
Larry

I think I've got the page formatted so that it "scales" to different
screen
resolutions without requiring side-scrolling to see everything.

A VERY good point- The horizontal scroll bar is definitely "taboo" as
discussed the very first day of Web Design school.

Building to 800 by 600 is still recommended and setting your tables to a
"percentage" will fill a larger browser size too.

Another common problem is "constraining" an image to display smaller that it
really is. Humongous file sizes and long download times result from this
very bad practice. I see your thumbnails are displayed actual size- (and are
actually a quite small file size) very good!

Your site looks great- keep up the good work!

Larry Wagar
Skagit Media Productions
(360) 854-0709
larry at skagitmedia dot com
www.skagitmedia.com

Site hosting $8.25 month,

Yes, an Aviation Enthusiast also :-)
(20 years of Jet Wrenchin')

Old December 20th 03, 11:28 PM
Mike Adams

Jay,

The formatting looks fine to me, but it is slowing down a bit as it gets
bigger. Maybe time to break up into several sections?

Mike

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Old December 21st 03, 12:45 AM
Jay Honeck

The formatting looks fine to me, but it is slowing down a bit as it gets
bigger. Maybe time to break up into several sections?

Yeah, I noticed that, too. It seems to have slowed somewhat -- perhaps a
side-effect of adding a whole bunch of "tables" so that it scales
automatically?

*sigh* Solve one problem, create another. Just like aviation, no?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 03, 01:21 AM
tony roberts

In article 7w4Fb.613934$Fm2.554804@attbi_s04,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm,

Hi Jay

lose the comma behind htm - otherwise we get "page not found"

Site works great for me but I do have a couple of problems with it -

Sounds - P51 Flyby and Great Sounding Engine both work - Radial Startup
doesn't.

Video - they all work except two - Oh My God and Low Pass.

I am running a Mac - is that why?

Other than that - great site, and thanks for offering a venue to display
our aircraft - it is appreciated.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old December 21st 03, 02:40 AM
Morgans

"Jay Honeck" wrote
Please check it out at http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rec_aviation.htm, and
let me know if it now looks okay under your screen resolutions?

Thanks!
--
Jay Honeck

Some of the pictures in the historic pictures pages, stay at thumbnail sizes
when clicked on.

Otherwise, great site. I find myself strangely drawn to Iowa City! Quick,
call the doctor! ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 21st 03, 02:46 AM
Jay Honeck

Sounds - P51 Flyby and Great Sounding Engine both work - Radial Startup
doesn't.

Yeah, I don't know what's up with Radial Startup. It plays on the computer
it's residing on, but not on-line. I'll screw around with it tomorrow.

Video - they all work except two - Oh My God and Low Pass.

Oh, man -- those are the best ones! (Well, "Oh My God" is the best, by
far...)

I have no idea why those two aren't running on your system. They work using
Windows Media Player for me here at home, and on my laptop. (When I use
RealPlayer, I have to screw around with it a bit to get 'em to run. Don't
know why that is...)

Other than that - great site, and thanks for offering a venue to display
our aircraft - it is appreciated.

Ain't it cool? I think it's great to see everyone, and their aircraft.

I never, ever thought it would be so popular! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 03, 02:53 AM
Jay Honeck

Some of the pictures in the historic pictures pages, stay at thumbnail
sizes
when clicked on.

I haven't "fixed" the whole site -- just the Rogue's Gallery. (Figured I'd
experiment on the "expendable" part of the site, first! :-) I'll check
that out, though.

Mostly I want to hear from folks who routinely keep their screen resolution
at 800 x 600 (any Mr. Magoo's in an aviation forum?), to let me know if the
Rogue's Gallery is "scaling" properly for that resolution.

Otherwise, great site. I find myself strangely drawn to Iowa City!

Quick,
call the doctor! ;-)

Aside from some of the nutcases running the city government, Iowa City is
about the best place I can think of to live and play. Must be why it's
routinely voted one of the top ten medium-sized communities in the nation!
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 21st 03, 03:53 AM
John E. Carty

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Some of the pictures in the historic pictures pages, stay at thumbnail

sizes
when clicked on.

I haven't "fixed" the whole site -- just the Rogue's Gallery. (Figured

I'd
experiment on the "expendable" part of the site, first! :-) I'll check
that out, though.

Mostly I want to hear from folks who routinely keep their screen

resolution
at 800 x 600 (any Mr. Magoo's in an aviation forum?), to let me know if

the
Rogue's Gallery is "scaling" properly for that resolution.

Looks fine at 800 x 600. Hey, who you calling Mr. Magoo? I resemble that
remark! ;-)

Old December 21st 03, 03:55 AM
BTIZ

Jay... I keep mine at 800x600 for the wife's benefit.. seems to work ok for
me.. gives me 4 pictures across in the thumbnails..

BT