GARMIN 530 Plus FlightMax

Old November 23rd 03, 12:48 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

Default GARMIN 530 Plus FlightMax

Does anyone make a GPS device with a Multifunction display that can
overlay weather downloaded from satellite? My search so far has not
gotten very deep. The Garmin 530 looks like a really nice navigational
device with a good multifunction display, but it does not seem to do
weather overlays. The FlightMax seems like an excellent weather
information source, also with a good display.

It seems like it would be useful to have a Garmin 530-like device, but
have the ability to turn a weather overlay on and off. That way, one
could most easily see whether the weather on your flight path is a problem.

If this device does not exist, is it that it is technically difficult,
or do designers (and perhaps pilots) think this would be too much
information on a single diaply device?

By the way, I am talking a General Aviation device here, in the price
range of $15K-$20K.

-Sami

Old November 23rd 03, 08:23 AM
Jeff

gamin makes a weather module for the 430 and 530 that displays weather on the
GPS. bendix/King has one also.
you can see the garmin one on their website www.garmin.com

Old November 23rd 03, 02:28 PM
O. Sami Saydjari

Jeff,

I believe you, but I can not seem to find a weather module anywhere on
the web page Garmin has for the 530. I looked on the main page, the
acessories page, the specification page, and even tried the FAQ page.
Does this module have a model name and number? I sure would appreciate
a pointer to a specific page.

Does anyone have any experience with the weather module on the Garmin
530? Does it work well? Is it expensive?

-Sami

Old November 24th 03, 11:30 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I bought the WX Works product (uses XM Radio sats to send real time weather)
and an Nav Aero PC w/ a 8.4" knee pad touch screen. (Using a laptop right
now until I get the Nav Aero). Total outlay $3,000 ($2000 & 900)

The WX Works weather product is great. ( BTW it runs now on the GNS-1000 but
not on the 5/430's.)

I talked to Garmin at AOPA about WX Works on the 530's and they would not
commit to WHEN they would, only that ARE going to do it.

I too do not like the current weather product from Garmin at $5,000 and
$50/month, much button twisting, etc. and 10-20 min. lag time.

www.wxworxs.com
www.navaero.com
--

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.