Humbling! And one item just plain dumb! :-(

Old April 15th 04, 05:45 AM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

Al Denelsbeck wrote:
"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in
:

Allll! And we'll quickly make that Al 'D' ! Mea culpa! Mea maxima
culpa!

Not a problem. I mean, c'mon, look at that name! It's been mangled by
everyone who ever hears it, and these are people who just heard me
pronounce it. There's a reason I don't market my work under it... ;-)

Seriously Al, but keeping such savvy of your work to myself unless or
until you ever go into it publicly....it markets 'itself'...it's that
excellent and I mean that sincerely! No overt/covert satiric stuff here.
I've seen it. And it's 'that' good! Nuff' said.

In another area, I've known Roy Chaffin for some moons and his
professional area is something to behold as well! But then, I've always
found that by and large [with the usual, let us say, more blatant
exceptions that 'any' area, hobby or real world profession has of
course] the sim community, collectively, has the sparks! I think we have
every profession under the sun from surgeons to you-name-it of every age
and of course both genders. It's also a giving fraternity, in my view,
and the level of technical expertise out there just within the sim world
is more times than not a matter of a free download!

So too, and you know me on this theme, I'm convinced that the sim
community per se has literally out-produced in terms of sustained
quality 'any' commercial sim-av enterprise in terms of what the
community ITSELF has offered, improved on [Falcon 4, inter alia, comes
immediately to mind when Micropose/Hasbro literally abandoned the sim
until the community took it up and made it really soar! ] and often
provides free of charge!

My sim roots go back some years with those many classic albeit wholly
free sim programs like Alain Capt and his ACS-GPS, Helge Schroeder
[*Helge finally gave up correcting fan email he would get addressed to
"Ms. Schroeder" ...hey, I lived there for 5 years [Darmstadt] and the
'Ami's' always figure 'Helge' is de facto a female name!]---anyway, his
original FSNav 3.0 which was an excellent 'gotta'-have' freebie... it
was only with the 4.0 series [4.51] that a fee was subsequently
charged...Arnt Haaland and his nifty Flightzip 2000...and the countless
planes, panels, sounds, scenery, usw. that were there for the DL. As for
the sim community helping hand? Always there. That's been my experience
anyway.

RAS Group: "Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz"

OK....OK...but my last point which found decent support within the RAP
newsgroup: the value of the sim to the real-deal! I will debate that
fact and truism with anyone and use Uncle Sam as exhibit one along with
many FBO's who readily see the value of sim 'adjunctive' [operative
word] use to that of the real McCoy. Funny, isn't it, and for those who
subscribe to the 'real' av mags [as I do for some years...yes CP too on
the sim scene] and what does one see within those pages for the FAA
ticket holders--- does 'Elite' ring a bell? Does Commo ring a bell? Does
the Nav DVD's WITH sim demonstrator ring a bell? And hey, when prior to
'69 when there was 'no' previous experience in moon landings, where were
those men in practice for such an attempt? I believe it was a sim! Sure,
BIG geetis and all that but then today we can produce virtually anything
on the machine electronically to mimic the real avionics! Our friends at
Garmin are not exactly being 'solely' beneficent in allowing MS to use
their GPS gear....in the FS sims! Think about it! And various others not
to mention the ever increasing level of sim sophistication since Bruce
Artwick first tinkered with an 'idea', or, conversely, Doc you-know-who
and his ATC...sim....which of course the real-life controllers begin on
in Ok City ...ATC....sims! Hey, take a peek at the Sporty's catalog!

Ahhhhhh, I know...I'm off again on the old theme but the hobby to
various and sundry that I know at least transcends some mere 'game' and
they see the sim as an adjunctive aid to the real deal and it can
decidedly be just that! Adjunctive to be sure but a defensible
correlation to the real deal machine. So says Uncle Sam..among others
....and [if one reviews the literature] various of the FBO flight schools
in re nav techniques and getting to sense, even on the sim, the fact
that the wrong move ... can be rather unforgiving.

Whew!

[suddenly!]

Greasy: "How the $##$# does some 'pagan agnostic' [!] like that Doc
Tony character savvy Latin I wanna' know!"

Fr. Bill [tongue in cheek] : "Agnostics are not necessarily dumb, Mr.
G, ... merely lost!"

Agnosticism?!?!? What kind of approach is that? Of *course* you're
lost - atheism is the only way! ;-)

I think it first started back when ...and the good Sisters of St.
Dominic. Let's just say that Jake and Elwood's visit to the "penguin"
was 'not' exaggerated! Ba-da-bing! Ba-da-bang! Ba-da-bing! Circa the
50's anyway.

But then, and duly available in "The Evening Sun" [Baltimore] morgue
when that lady writes to me, and which I duly quoted in the published
piece, to wit, "Why you're just as ungodly and sinful as he [*Mencken]
was ... but I will remember you in my novenas and pray for your
salvation...Mr. Mencken as well, sinner and heathen though he was when
he lived.... ." I have that letter [1991] framed in my work room!

;-) [*And trusting mightily in Fr. Bill's decent sparks [read: well
working neurons] and his known sense of humor!]

Anyway, AL! I've missed you, buddy, and I appreciated your comments
[and various others in both the RAS and RAP av groups some months back
when my Dad passed and I did the 'Final Flight' post...ohhh yes...many
real McCoy pilots here from RAP [rec.av.piloting]...you, Pete Duniho
[who I'll respond to as well...and the others who also enjoy flight
sims and their known 'adjunctive' value to the real thing [ A Sudden
Voice! 'There Doc goes again!']. Where I came up with Al
B...dunno...could be another one of the sim and/or real McCoy gang!

Whoops! Ah, I suspect you really *are* thinking of Al B., somewhere.
No 'real world' pilot here, though I've been in instruction a couple of
times, just couldn't keep money and time auto-coordinated. As they (who?)
say, "I'm not a pilot, but I play one on PC".

Missed you too, amigo, and was wondering what happened. Glad to see
you back and in previous form. Gonna make me start hanging out here again.
I might also suggest you check out alt.binaries.pictures.aviation from time
to time, too, warning you right now it's addictive. But recently there's
been a few posts of your six-n-four there, including the prototype without
the four.

Great plane the now nostalgic B-36! 'Peacekeeper' indeed although
[mercifully] it was never used in a combat situation. But what a monster
it truly was! In my era, it was the helo that offered the smile and
preferably not the one with the 'target' Red Cross on the nose...which
wasn't ever honored by the folks with the AK-47's anyway.

Nuff' said on that one.

Hey Al---the helo 'Bluesmobile' --ring a bell? It should ... since you
designed it and I still marvel at your helo stuff [and antics] both
sim and real deal! But then what can be said about a man who felt that
taking off from Meigs with a fully loaded albeit vintage B-36 '6
turnin' and 4 burnin' "Peacemaker" was 'doable' if one had faith in
both pilot and machine! It was, I believe, at 'that' point where Fr.
Bill made with the ad hoc and prior to your attempt .... 'De
Profundis' ! [*'Out of the depths' ].

You'd be interested in knowing that the Bluesmobile still resides on
my machine too, as my agile little taxiway-hopper. A little sensitive, but
not squirrelly. 'Course, I have a few other custom repaints too...

I think I mentioned last time about doing the old C-130 carrier
landings, quite amusing. Also found out recently that, due to body and
landing gear designs, the B-52 doesn't actually rotate on takeoff, and
can't. The wing is mounted at a positive angle-of-attack, and the pilot
merely builds speed until lift is achieved while held level. Haven't found
a sim model yet that duplicates that (we won't go into what version FS I'm
using...). But I admit to not trying it out of Meigs ;-)

Oh, and scenery woes. Found a couple of detailed packages for my
stomping grounds here in Florida, but they're mutually exclusive due to
buffer limits. Grrrrrr! Real shame, because I like them both and fly
between them often.

But other things have been keeping me busier too, so simming comes in
only occasionally. What I'm doing admitting this on a simming newsgroup is
anybody's guess...

So in closing, I'll leave you with the immortal words of our fearless
leader: "Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

And my retort would be.... [and no doubt detractors would readily
agree!] "I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!" I love
that flick! And hey, on our other mutual favorite, I 'did' send you the
RA sound byte...you know...the one, the only...."And now, ladies and
gentlemen, from Calumet City, Illinois, ..... the show band .... the
BLUES BROTHERS! ;-)

Fr. Bill [goes for it! Doing an ad hoc soul-food joint A.F. ...] "Don't
you blaspheme in here, Doc Tony! Don't you blaspheme in here! Now you
can take your four friiiiiiied chickens, your driiiiiiied white
toast...and 'fellow heathen' Al Denelsbeck [!]..... ."

[suddenly! A cameo appearance! ]

Helge S.: 'Wer? Doc Tony? Was hat er gesagt? [pauses] Ich kenne diesen
Mann nicht!"

[but then, alas, and simply hearing 'die Sprache' .... reverts forthwith!]

Al D. [excited!] : "WAS? WAS? WO? Norrrrrrr-mannnnn-dieeeee? Wie dumm
auf mir! Wie dumm!" Cue Real Audio: 'Dah-Dah-Dah-Dahhhhhhhhhh!'

[but ahhhhhhh!]

Greasy [same flick! Doing the guy from the 'Eight-Duece' ... ] "It's
them bells! DING-DONG....DING-DONG....I've been hearing them all night!"

[meanwhile....]

Fr. Bill: [ditto for the flick!] "My communion kit! I've lost it!"

John Ward: "We're under fire here, Padre!"

;-)

;-)
;-)
;-)

:-)

- Al.

Old April 15th 04, 06:11 AM
John Ward

Hi Doc Tony,

Hey mate, are your mind/spirit at peace at the moment, or is it still a
tad too early?

Regards,
John

Old April 17th 04, 02:37 AM
Al Denelsbeck

"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in
:

snipped, for convenience

But then what can be said about a man who felt that
taking off from Meigs with a fully loaded albeit vintage B-36 '6
turnin' and 4 burnin' "Peacemaker" was 'doable' if one had faith in
both pilot and machine! It was, I believe, at 'that' point where Fr.
Bill made with the ad hoc and prior to your attempt .... 'De
Profundis' ! [*'Out of the depths' ].

Hey, Doc!

Regarding what I said about alt.binaries.pictures.aviation, you of
all people should visit http://www.b-36peacemakermuseum.org/lastb36/ right
away, I mean right away. Recent posts regarding this site, and the
publication therein, have indicated he has *ten* left and is not sure if a
third edition will be made.

I'll be back later on,

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to separate G and I in the domain