Anyone been to Blakesburg?

Old August 27th 03, 04:29 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Anyone been to Blakesburg?

For several days we have enjoyed having a delightful couple (flying a
beautiful -- and gigantic -- old Luscombe, all the way from the D.C. area!)
stay with us who are on their way to the antique aircraft fly-in, held at
Blakesburg, IA each year. Despite our owning poor old (but not old enough!)
Atlas, they have invited us to attend this weekend.

(Apparently the organizers *will* allow our Spam-can to land on their farm
during the show, but they will park us WAY out in the middle of no where,
far from all the antiques, lest any of our "spam-ness" rubs off on those
beautiful old Stinsons...

We're considering attending -- our guests explained the somewhat bizarre
"red flag/green flag" arrival procedure -- but has anyone here ever flown
into this show? Anything to watch out for, or not to miss? It's pretty
pricey, at seventy bucks, but I guess that keeps the riff-raff out!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 27th 03, 05:56 PM
Jay Honeck

If it's Bill and Sharon, please give them my best and tell Bill to avoid
golf carts!

It was, and I shall!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 27th 03, 07:34 PM
Kris Kortokrax

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
(Apparently the organizers *will* allow our Spam-can to land on their farm
during the show, but they will park us WAY out in the middle of no where,
far from all the antiques, lest any of our "spam-ness" rubs off on those
beautiful old Stinsons...

The Luscombes also park way out back with the Cubs, T-craft, Aeronca's, etc.

Pioneer Period
1903 - 1914
World War I Period
1914 - 1918
Antique or Golden Age
1919-1936
Classic
1936 - 1942
World War II
1940 - 1945
Neo-Classic
1946 - 1950

We're considering attending -- our guests explained the somewhat bizarre
"red flag/green flag" arrival procedure

Red/green flag is for landing/departing aircraft. Green = OK to
takeoff/land. Red = Not OK to takeoff/land.
Nothing bizarre here.

-- but has anyone here ever flown into this show?

Sure, for quite a few years. Been there in a WACO YMF-5, WACO 10 (OX-5) &
WACO RNF

Anything to watch out for, or not to miss? It's pretty
pricey, at seventy bucks, but I guess that keeps the riff-raff out!

Watch out for us pesky NORDO aircraft. Many of the antiques attending have
no radio. The following is from the website:

http://www.aaa-apm.org/

"Please keep you pattern in reasonably close, but do not fly over any of the
aircraft parking areas. This is so the flag man does not lose sight of you
and to keep the traffic flow going. There is NO unicom nor any form of radio
communication when operating from Antique Airfield. So please keep your head
and those of you passengers up and out of the cockpit.

Once on final please note the flagman near the approach end of the runway
and follow his signals. If anytime on final if you are given a red flag
initiate a go around IMMEDIATELY."

Kris Kortokrax
AAA Lifetime member

Old August 28th 03, 02:10 AM
Ed Wischmeyer

Anything to watch out for, or not to miss? It's pretty
pricey, at seventy bucks, but I guess that keeps the riff-raff out!

Or maybe that's what it costs if there's no commercial sponsorship??

Ed Wischmeyer
Old August 28th 03, 06:50 PM
pittsS1C

Great event! I will miss it this year due to my wedding

They serve an awesome Pork Chop on Saturday...
If you like to drink and BS, the evenings there are the best.

The only suggestion is.. keep your eyes peeled for traffic, watch the
flagmen on the runway (don't hit them either)
Check your takeoff distance for your airplane.. if they are using 18, it is
bumpy, uphill, and not too long with a couple of trees at the end.
That will keep the rif-raf out more then the $70.

Mike

Old August 28th 03, 07:30 PM
Kris Kortokrax

Mike,

It would be too much of a coincidence if there were more than one Mike, who
flies a Pitts, goes to Blakesburg, and had his priorities so out of whack
that he would get married during Blakesburg weekend.

Well, at least we won't have to worry about you blowing up our blender this
year.

Tell Jen I said "Hi". Hope you can make it to Shelbyville 26th-28th.
Mix up a batch of "Liquid Leg Spreader".

Kris

Old August 28th 03, 08:55 PM
Jay Honeck

Red/green flag is for landing/departing aircraft. Green = OK to
takeoff/land. Red = Not OK to takeoff/land.
Nothing bizarre here.

You don't find that just a bit bizarre? I don't know any other airport on
earth (although I suppose there must be some, somewhere) where this
procedure is followed -- but what the heck, I can go with the flow!

"Please keep you pattern in reasonably close, but do not fly over any of

the
aircraft parking areas. This is so the flag man does not lose sight of you
and to keep the traffic flow going. There is NO unicom nor any form of

radio
communication when operating from Antique Airfield. So please keep your

head
and those of you passengers up and out of the cockpit.

Thanks for the head's up, Kris. We're hoping to fly in as a flight of two
(with the couple who bought our Warrior) this coming Sunday. We'll probably
be the only lowly Pipers on the line, so be sure to watch (out) for us!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 29th 03, 07:46 PM
Big John

Rick

Do you mean a Vultee Vibrator (BT-13)? Prop tips go super sonic in low
pitch on takeoff. Sure rattles your windows and fillings in your teeth

Forget where I was but in Base Ops and BT-13 took of and broke about
half the windows in Base Ops. Ops Officer had a fit.

Big John

Warning: do not pitch a tent near the runway if you are planning to
have a hangover and there is a Vultee V-1 that is going to depart at
6:00 am.