Flying through Canadian airspace

Old May 22nd 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Flying through Canadian airspace

* Since I'll use Canadian ATC service during the overflight, will I
get a bill from NavCanada when I get home?

Yes, it's still around $15 (Canadian), and it's good for a whole quarter -
so if you fly back before the quarter is over, you won't get another bill.

When did this go into effect?
I have never been charged for previous overflights.
If I landed at a Canadian airfield, I was charged, and rightly so.
It is my understanding that there is a bilateral agreement not to charge
for overflights.
Old May 22nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

On 05/22/06 13:22, Morgans wrote:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote

That's true, and that's good for VFR traffic. But I've seen airliners at
higher altitudes, presumably on an IFR clearance, doing a lap or two above
the falls at a much higher altitude.

Wow, and double WoW! Never before, have I heard of an airliner taking the
time to do some sightseeing!

I wonder how much that cost the company? g

I think it was in Rod Machado's book: The instrument pilot's survival
manual, where he wrote about an exchange between ATC and an airliner.
ATC asked the flight for a turn in the holding pattern. The airline
captain complained that each turn cost the airline $500. The controller
said: Okay then, give me $1000 worth of turns ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old May 22nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

(We're planning on flying that way this summer, VFR.)

Let me know when you are coming my way.
Old May 22nd 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

Mike Schumann wrote:
About 5 years ago I flew from Detroit to Rochester VFR over Canada. I filed
a VFR flight plan and used flight following the entire way. At that time
there was no charge for Canadian ATC if you didn't land in Canada. Things
may have changed since then.

One thing that was interesting is that north of Lake Erie, ATC was provided
by Cleveland Center eventhough I was over Canda. near Niagra Falls I was
passed off to Toronto Center, and then back to the US when I got back into
the US.

I flew from Elmira to Detroit several years ago and also overflew Canada
for part of the trip. I never talked to a Canadian ATC facility, which
I thought was surprising.

Matt
Old May 22nd 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

In a previous article, john smith said:
* Since I'll use Canadian ATC service during the overflight, will I
get a bill from NavCanada when I get home?

Yes, it's still around $15 (Canadian), and it's good for a whole quarter -
so if you fly back before the quarter is over, you won't get another bill.

When did this go into effect?
I have never been charged for previous overflights.

You're right. I thought they'd removed the exemption for overflights, but
I just checked the current fee schedule
http://www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefin...ide_New_en.pdf
and it still says that flights from one part of the US to another are
still exempt.

Since I land in Canada several times a year, I guess I never got a chance
to notice that they didn't charge if I somehow avoided landing there for a
quarter.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Mommy, what does "Formatting Drive C:" mean?
Old May 23rd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
Morgans wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote

That's true, and that's good for VFR traffic. But I've seen airliners at
higher altitudes, presumably on an IFR clearance, doing a lap or two above
the falls at a much higher altitude.

Wow, and double WoW! Never before, have I heard of an airliner taking the
time to do some sightseeing!

I haven't seen them do laps, but very often departures out of
SFO (San Francisco) and OAK (Oakland) fly the Bay Tour before proceeding
on course. They fly over the bay and out the gate at around 3000ft.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old May 23rd 06, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

M wrote:
* Since I'll use Canadian ATC service during the overflight, will I
get a bill from NavCanada when I get home?

I often fly IFR over, and occasionally to, Ontario, and I've never
received a bill. Maybe it's just me.

* Is it easier to do this IFR or VFR? I assume doing this IFR would
make the Canadian overflight easier, but I'm very open to suggestions.

I've been under the impression that Toronto Center would rather not
provide VFR radar service. If only for that, I think IFR is easier.

Old May 23rd 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

(We're planning on flying that way this summer, VFR.)

Let me know when you are coming my way.

Roger that. Just remember, our habit is to plan three separate vacations,
in three different directions -- and then, on the morning of our departure,
pick one based on the best weather forecast.

We like to tell people that GA gives them a 33.3% chance of seeing us on any
assigned date...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 24th 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

We like to tell people that GA gives them a 33.3% chance of seeing us
on any
assigned date...

Forewarned is forearmed

denny

Old May 24th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting

I'm going to Cleveland today... Since the the lake is warmer than in
winter (still not survival temperature, but I do fly a twin so the
risks are less) I'm going to go HYX direct Windsor VOR (YQG), direct
Sandusky VOR (SKY), direct Burke Lake Front (BKL) - going past the East
side of the Detroit B and out over the lake... My son wants to fly the
outbound trip and he is not up to handling an IFR flight so I'll try
filing a VFR plan this time over Canada to see if it is different from
doing it IFR and report my findings to the group...
On safety - I have hard and fast rules about not going past gliding
distance to the shore when the water is below survival temperature...
This YQG-SKY-BKL route keeps me within gliding distance of the various
islands or the shoreline - Pelee, Kelly, North, Put-in-bay, etc...

BTW, I was on the phone to FSS yesterday about todays weather... Dunno
if it has changed into private hands or if the federal employees there
can feel change breathing down their necks, but I gotta tell ya the
briefer was so accomodating and over friendly I wondered if they
thought I was somebody in a position of power...

denny