Oshkosh: Kiwi launches $130,000 jetpack: Up, up and away

Old July 31st 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Oshkosh: Kiwi launches $130,000 jetpack: Up, up and away

"Lou" wrote

Did the tv show the amount of people that booo'ed him?

No! Did people really booo at him?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 1st 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Lou" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 9:03 am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Lou" wrote

Did the tv show the amount of people that booo'ed him?

No! Did people really booo at him?
--
Jim in NC

Oh yea.

Wow, that must have been hard for his ego (and wallet) to take.

What do you suppose the percentage of the crowd was booing, and what was
their demographics, if it could be placed on one group or age?

I have to admit, that while I do think they are being overly cautious, I am
surprised at that reaction from the crowd.

I think I read somewhere that they would not be taking flights of
significant altitude until they had something like 600 hours without
trouble. That seems extreme, if that was accurate.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 1st 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Aug 1, 7:32 am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Lou" wrote in message

On Jul 31, 9:03 am, "Morgans" wrote:
"Lou" wrote

Did the tv show the amount of people that booo'ed him?

No! Did people really booo at him?
--
Jim in NC

Oh yea.

Wow, that must have been hard for his ego (and wallet) to take.

What do you suppose the percentage of the crowd was booing, and what was
their demographics, if it could be placed on one group or age?

I have to admit, that while I do think they are being overly cautious, I am
surprised at that reaction from the crowd.

I think I read somewhere that they would not be taking flights of
significant altitude until they had something like 600 hours without
trouble. That seems extreme, if that was accurate.
--
Jim in NC

Jim, I couldn't tell you the demographics, but I'd have to say in
the neighborhood of 10-12%. I was disappointed, but until I have
a successful jet pack, I'm not booing anyone.
Lou
Old August 3rd 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Aug 2, 7:46 am, Lou wrote:

Jim, I couldn't tell you the demographics, but I'd have to say in
the neighborhood of 10-12%. I was disappointed, but until I have
a successful jet pack, I'm not booing anyone.

We just had an hour long TV program about the 'pack' and its designer/
builder/family/hangerson.
Do you remember all those fantastic machines proposed in magazines
during the 60's ?
A plane in every garage, aerocars that flew themselves with all the
blurb showing hubby flying off to work.
I am forced to the conclusion that the 'jet pack' is a scam.
At Oshkosh as I understand it the 'pilot' wasn't up to 'flying' the
pack so the designers son 'demonstrated it with the hangers on hanging
on
And from what I saw in the film there seems to be a stability problem
Old August 5th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

I did not personally hear anyone booing, but I will tell you that it was
a very disappointing performance.
It was a very over hyped event. The name "jetpack" is a gross misnomer.
It is two ducted fans, similar to a project and device that flew in the
US several years ago. It was funded with DARPA money. The prototype was
offered for sale after the initial test flights. Wish I could recall the
name.
It reminds me of the old days of Oshkosh with its unproven performance
statistics, high price, and ambitious but speculative claims.

I am trying to understand how the engine they have developed will
produce the claimed 200 HP.

MythBusters built a similar device last year and failed to achieve the
lift necessary for flight with off the shelf components.
Old August 5th 08, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Aug 3, 1:43 pm, george wrote:
On Aug 2, 7:46 am, Lou wrote:

Jim, I couldn't tell you the demographics, but I'd have to say in
the neighborhood of 10-12%. I was disappointed, but until I have
a successful jet pack, I'm not booing anyone.

We just had an hour long TV program about the 'pack' and its designer/
builder/family/hangerson.
Do you remember all those fantastic machines proposed in magazines
during the 60's ?
A plane in every garage, aerocars that flew themselves with all the
blurb showing hubby flying off to work.

Here it is,
http://www.aa1car.com/blog/popular_m..._car_cover.jpg
It's delayed until next year, one or two snags...
Ken
Old August 5th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

howing hubby flying off to work.

Here it is,
http://www.aa1car.com/blog/popular_m..._car_cover.jpg
It's delayed until next year, one or two snags...
Ken

Did you know that there was only one of these built and that it still
flies today?
Unfortunately no one has a picture of it but I understand that it is
responsible for
90% of the crop circles that happen to corn fields.
Lou

kiwi aeros 5 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 14 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 12 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 16 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM
kiwi aeros 15 Erin J Aviation Photos 0 November 11th 07 04:43 AM