Marketing and the Cirrus Sales Pitch

Old October 19th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Marketing and the Cirrus Sales Pitch

Has anyone on this forum seriously considered purchasing a Cirrus, sat
throught a Cirrus sales pitch and not purchased an airplane?

Tell us your thoughts about the experience?
Old October 19th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

And , your point?

denny

Old October 20th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Me feeling is that the Cirrus marketing/sales pitch is targeted at a
specific market, low time pilots with little experience. They focus on
the BRS parachute as the solution to any unexpected situation.
As I noted, this is the feeling I get from their advertising, what I
hear pilots saying and the type of pilots I see flying them. Hence my
request for actual experiene.

And , your point?

Old October 20th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

I doubt the sales people are that stupid. I'm sure they taylor their
sales pitch to the pilot specifically. If they are talking with a
10,000 hour pilot you can bet the pitch is different than that of a 100
hr pilot. Even a used car dealer uses a different approach to the CEO
than to the college student.

-Robert

Old October 20th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Whatever they are doing, they are selling a lot of airplanes and their
airplanes have a high accident and fatality rate. I don't think anyone
knows why.

Old October 20th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
City Dweller[_1_]

I was at some point deciding between the Cirrus, Diamond Star and Lancair
Columbia. The Columbia was the first to be scratched off my list due its
prohibitively high price. I then had a demo flight in the Cirrus SR22 and,
while extremely impressed with all the blows and whistles, was quite a bit
intimidated by it. I felt like I was flying a truck (I was but a lowly
50-hour student pilot at that time). I did not much care for the salesman,
either. He did not believe I was a serious buyer, I think, and acted
accordingly :-)

The poor safety record was the 2nd main reason I decided against the Cirrus,
and we are talking 1.5 years ago (2006 is Cirrus's worst year yet with 6
fatal accidents so far.)

Anyway, I ended up buying the Diamond Star and I love it.

-- cd

Old October 20th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

The poor safety record was the 2nd main reason I decided against the Cirrus,
and we are talking 1.5 years ago (2006 is Cirrus's worst year yet with 6
fatal accidents so far.)

I just searched the NTSB database.
Between January 1, 1997 and October 19, 2006, there have been 22 fatal
accidents out of a total of 59 Cirrus accidents. 21 of the 59 involved
SR20's, the remaining 38 accidents involved SR22's (including one G2).
The NTSB preliminary reports do not include pilot hours, the factual
reports do.
Old October 20th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"City Dweller" wrote:

all the blows and whistles

That's a new one.

Old October 20th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Doug" wrote:
Whatever they are doing, they are selling a lot of airplanes and their
airplanes have a high accident and fatality rate. I don't think anyone
knows why.

Is it the design or construction of the plane that is the causal factor or
the pilot of the plane that is the causal factor for the alleged higher-
than-average accident rate?
Old October 20th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:12:10 GMT, john smith wrote:

Me feeling is that the Cirrus marketing/sales pitch is targeted at a
specific market, low time pilots with little experience. They focus on
the BRS parachute as the solution to any unexpected situation.
As I noted, this is the feeling I get from their advertising, what I
hear pilots saying and the type of pilots I see flying them. Hence my
request for actual experiene.

Don't know about your family, but in many cases, the majority are not pilots. I
know of at least one case where the deciding factor was the pilot's spouse, who
decided they wanted the capability to induce a safe recovery should the pilot be
incapacitated.

Ron Wanttaja