Flying Technique Question of the Day

Old September 2nd 03, 08:40 AM
Bert Willing

Ehm, this is a gliding newsgroup, so my answer referred to glider landings,
not fuel-to-noise converters.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

"Andreas Maurer" a écrit dans le message de
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:24:31 +0200, "Bert Willing"
wrote:

That's correct, although what you described as a forward slip is referred

in (at least Continental) Europe as side slip, and what you call side

slip
is NEVER done at all.

.. at least in gliders.

Corrections for crosswind are done by a crab angle. Darwin takes care of
those who can't re-align properly during round-out and flare.

.. at least he takes care of their landing gear, prop, engine, and
pride.

Bye
Andreas

Old September 2nd 03, 05:26 PM
Stefan

tango4 wrote:

So my understanding is that an American forward slip is the same as a
sideslip anywhere else in the world whilst an American sideslip is a shallow
rest-of-the-world sideslip

Not where I live. Here, I've never heard the term sideslip, we just do
slips. A slip is a slip is a slip, period. You can use it for different
purposes, although using it on final for crosswind corrections with,
say, an ASH 25 is considered a bad idea here.

Stefan

Old September 3rd 03, 10:07 PM
Brian Case

OK here is the answer to one of my favorite Flight Review Questions:

What is the difference between a side slip and a forward slip?

1. A side slip, is a slip where the aircraft is pointed the direction
you are going and the wings a tipped to compensate for a cross wind or
off center positioning from the runway center line. Side Slips are
used almost exclusevly for cross wind correction and alignment with
the runway.

2. A Forward Slip, is a slip where the aircraft continues on a path
toward the runway, however the aircraft is not generally pointed
anywere near the direction you are going. The wings are tipped to
compensate for the slip and any crosswind and maintain the aircrafts
path toward the runway. They are typically more agressive than a side
slip and are used primarly to disipate energy (Alitude or Airspeed)

Generally a you should only side slip or forward slip during landings,
most any other time you are simply slipping or more correctly flying
uncoordinated.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Old September 3rd 03, 10:12 PM
Chris Ashburn

Nyal Williams wrote:

"tango4" wrote in message ...
Forward slip ....

Whasat?

I know what a sideslip is but I've never understood this ( American? ) term.
Can't seem to find it in the BGA instructors manual either.

Ian

Don't bother with it; the glider doesn't know the difference. It is a
US mental exercise based on where you are trying to go. A pilot in
the back seat can't tell which one it is until he sees where you end
up.

Most of the discussion is correct, the distinction in terminology and is based on
the intent of the pilot.
Having to fly over here in the US, and being asked to do them on biannual flight reviews, I remember
it this way:

A side-slip is when you're flying (ie pointing) forward.
A forward-slip is when you're flying sideways.

Simple and logical ..... NOT.

The weather more than makes up for these minor inconveniences.

Chris

Old September 5th 03, 12:26 PM
George William Peter Reinhart

1. Yes!
2. 'cause yur landin'!

Cheers!

Jim Vincent wrote in article
Tailored towards the newbies:

On final, assuming there is a crosswind and you need to forward or side

slip,
does it make a difference which wing is held down, and why?

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ

Old September 5th 03, 08:57 PM
arealman

Shirley wrote in message

I hate to admit it, but I don't know the
difference between a side slip and a
forward slip. Please walk me through
exactly what I'm doing with the stick and
rudder on each one and where the nose
is pointed.

See Chapter 14 of the SSA Soaring Flight Manual (pp 14-8 - 14-10) -- the

two
maneuvers are fully detailed there, and there is also an excellent figure

that
illustrates the difference. I am NOT a CFIG, so I urge you to read the
aforementioned paragraphs and/or talk to a CFIG. But VERY briefly, my
understanding is as follows:

Seems to me. in English, this is what we call laying off the drift.

Side Slip (for crosswind control): Lower upwind wing, use enough opposite
rudder to keep glider from banking in direction of the wing. Longitudinal

axis
is parallel to the straight flight path.

Seems to me. in English, this is what we call laying off the drift.

Forward Slip (steepens angle of descent, used to lose excess altitude):

Lower
wing, use oppposite rudder to point nose away from the glide path exposing

the
front side of the glider to the oncoming air to create more drag (careful

maintain not increase airspeed and remember ASI will not be correct). Slip
*toward* crosswind if one is present. Longitudinal axis is NOT parallel to

the
flight path, but the flight path is straight. Resume normal flight, of

course,
before landing (I'm sure you know that, just CMA!!)!

Whereas this is known as the side slip.

Sounds as if the Americans are trying to make something
simple.....complicated

--Shirley

Old September 6th 03, 08:14 AM
Chris Nicholas

I find it interesting, and a little surprising, that the SSA manual does
not mention the need to reduce the amount of nose down when slipping, to
avoid an unwanted speed increase. The only clue is for one form of slip
only , which includes the suggestion "(careful to maintain not
increase airspeed and remember ASI will not be correct)".

As the two manouvres (two as perceived in the USA, only one in the UK
albeit with more than one scenario when one might deploy it) are
aerodynamically the same, they need the same care over speed, unless you
are happy to arrive with a HELP - High Energy Landing Problem.

They both, not just "forward slip", need correction to normal flight
before getting close to the ground, unless either flying a very high
wing glider or risking a spectacular end to the flight as the lower
wingtip digs in while the rest is still airborne.

Chris N.

"Cleared Straight-In Runway X; Report Y Miles Final" Jim Cummiskey Piloting 86 August 16th 04 06:23 PM
NE Flying Royce Brown Piloting 1 July 8th 04 01:17 AM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 12:07 AM
'They want to ban recreational flying...' Thomas J. Paladino Jr. Piloting 28 July 22nd 03 07:20 PM
Got my ticket.... now what (the cross-country question) bdl Piloting 6 July 13th 03 02:06 AM