S80 issues

Old June 16th 16, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default S80 issues

so I made the ultimate dumb move - I updated a working IT device right before I went to a contest. It has not worked since.........

To be fair - I did not update the firmware correct off the bat (should have ready the Manuel better)

Now - on the ground it looks like it will work fine - as soon as I take off - I get a circle of red dots that are all the same size (so it's not the thermal helper) - and if I press the middle mode button it moves through the different modes but you only know this because the upper right side has the mode name. I still get Vario sound, but no FLarm, Task or .........

I would love to go back in time and put the original firmware but LXNAV only want me to update with the current firmware.

Any suggestions??

WH1
Old June 16th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I bought my S80 from Paul Remde and he provided hands on help to correct the problem.
Be aware that once I correctly updated the software the S80 ended up with all the factory settings.
Old June 16th 16, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston

It may be similar to the new firmware for the S7 which adds an "enhanced" flarm display. You can turn that off in the menu. It's worth downloading the latest version of the manual to see what's changed.

Good luck with the vario & at the contest.

Craig
7Q
Old June 16th 16, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 6:22:44 AM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
It may be similar to the new firmware for the S7 which adds an "enhanced" flarm display. You can turn that off in the menu. It's worth downloading the latest version of the manual to see what's changed.

Good luck with the vario & at the contest.

Craig
7Q

I also had the problem and worked with LXNAV to solve the issus.

Upgrade to the latest firmware for S8, S80
indicator 5.44
sensor box 5.46

www.lxnav.com/firmware.html

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old June 16th 16, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for the help.

When I get a little time I will write so "Helpful hints" - I believe it is a case (as in much software) that the Manuel is written by people who know the product too well, so the instructions have holes.

My Main HINT - after you update the firmware - check to be sure the PCAS is NOT enabeled. The ring of red dots screen that are NOT in the Manuel - are PCAS. I have a transponder so it was warning me about my own transponder

Hopefully it is now fixed

I will write more early next week

WH1
Old June 17th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does installing new firmware HAVE to require resetting all selections to the factory default? There is obviously a file of some sort included in the chip that retains preferences when you turn the S80 off with the required switch (top knob, press for three seconds).

I spent a fair amount of time selecting parameters, units, glider and polar, Nav Boxes, airspace and waypoint files etc.

Do I have to do it every time I upgrade the firmware? Why not let the internal selection file remain unless there is some compelling reason it has to be changed?

Generally, I love the S80, but there are literally hundreds of selectable parameters, meaning each firmware upgrade puts you back in the baby crib, having to relearn all the procedures to get the instrument operating the way it did on your last flight. Just another wonderful headache for a contest pilot. I don't fly in competition, but it is still a pain.

Old June 17th 16, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 8:38:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
so I made the ultimate dumb move - I updated a working IT device right before I went to a contest. It has not worked since.........

To be fair - I did not update the firmware correct off the bat (should have ready the Manuel better)

Now - on the ground it looks like it will work fine - as soon as I take off - I get a circle of red dots that are all the same size (so it's not the thermal helper) - and if I press the middle mode button it moves through the different modes but you only know this because the upper right side has the mode name. I still get Vario sound, but no FLarm, Task or .........

I would love to go back in time and put the original firmware but LXNAV only want me to update with the current firmware.

Any suggestions??

WH1

Your vario might be stack in the thermal mode.
Old June 17th 16, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge

On Thursday, 16 June 2016 14:38:35 UTC+2, wrote:
so I made the ultimate dumb move - I updated a working IT device right before I went to a contest. It has not worked since.........

Ouch. If it's not broken and I don't need the latest gizmo I leave things alone.
Don't fix what isn't broken.
The S80 isn't an Internet connected device that needs to have the latest security patches installed so why bother updating it?

Q: When one performs a firmware upgrade does one need to re-enter the AHRS enable code again?
Old June 17th 16, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

I upgraded my S80 to 5_45 / 5_44 a few weeks ago, also got a bunch of extra features. Both desired and undesired.
Most annoying is the undercarriage warning. It is also annoying that all settings are lost when updating fw, I have email this to LX and they have put it on the to-do list.

There is so many settings in the configuration that I had to do a checklist with all important parameters documented. Please feel free to use it:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1U...ew?usp=sharing

I have just hooked up the trailer on the car, going to competition this weekend. I will not try the new fw until I see positive feedback. I get the feeling that Ls lets us customers do the beta testing, as almost all fw updates introduces new bugs.
Old June 17th 16, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Really Liked the S80 when I installed it - I AGREE WITH AN EARLIER POST...IF IT IS NOT BROKEN...DO NOT FIX IT.

I am not sure what feature I got that is better..... the gear door warning is anoying.

The update als changed some settings...... i.e. enabeled PCAS - so it was useless for several flights and only came on when flying.

I am not using it for Tasks or navigation - I just wanted to know if the air is rising .... verify airspeed.... what is the win lol (if it works today)

WH1

OLC issues Ramy Soaring 4 June 10th 09 07:55 AM
OLC issues Ramy Soaring 9 March 5th 09 04:58 AM
OLC Issues Union Thug Soaring 3 July 15th 07 08:14 PM
Issues around de-ice on a 182 Andrew Gideon Piloting 87 September 27th 05 11:46 PM
Issues around de-ice on a 182 Andrew Gideon Owning 35 July 18th 04 06:42 PM