"certified' parts

Old March 17th 05, 04:10 AM
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:
So what, no one ever said anything about that. However, if you were to
do that and not KNOW that its not an FAA approved part you would be an
idiot. The point is that if anyone says "Oh, wow, auto store parts are
not approved!!" is just an idiot. As I said... "I'm sorry, but there is
just no excluse for buying a part at Autozone and thinking the FAA
would bless it."

It is blessed, because I asked my local FSDO when they came here for a
PACE program. In many places you can buy your oil and filters at Walmart.
Old March 17th 05, 04:16 AM
Newps

John Clonts wrote:

"Newps" wrote in message ...

Mike Granby wrote:

I agree there's no excuse for buying something from AutoZone.

Baloney. I get my landing lights from the Auto store. I hardwired my GPS power cable and used a 1 amp fuse
from Radio Shack. The list goes on.

Hey, can you tell me how to find out what auto bulb would substitute for a #4591 (24 volt 100w I believe)? I'm
sick of replacing $30 bulbs every 30 hours!

Yep, see if there is a Q4591. That is the quartz halogen version of
your bulb. It's the same wattage but uses the much more durable halogen
bulb. It's also brighter.

Old March 17th 05, 05:22 AM
Dave Stadt

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
So what, no one ever said anything about that. However, if you were to
do that and not KNOW that its not an FAA approved part you would be an
idiot. The point is that if anyone says "Oh, wow, auto store parts are
not approved!!" is just an idiot. As I said... "I'm sorry, but there is
just no excluse for buying a part at Autozone and thinking the FAA
would bless it."

-Robert

Boy oh boy, I'm glad I get my landing lights in boxes labeled "aircraft
lamp" at Farm and Fleet and not Autozone.

Old March 17th 05, 05:09 PM
Robert M. Gary

Boy, you are pretty confused aren't you. The discussion concerns people
buying FAA disapproved parts at an auto store and not knowing the FAA
may have a problem with it. Parts that the FAA approves are not part of
this discussion. I would suggest starting at the top of the thread in
order to obtain proper context before jumping into the middle of a
thread without an understanding of the discussion.

-Robert

Old March 17th 05, 05:11 PM
Robert M. Gary

You change topics so fast, you're having trouble keeping up with
yourself. This thread is about disapproved parts at autozone. If you'd
like to discuss where to purchase approved parts, I would recommend
startnig another thread.

-Robert

Old March 17th 05, 06:51 PM
George Patterson

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

You change topics so fast, you're having trouble keeping up with
yourself. This thread is about disapproved parts at autozone. If you'd
like to discuss where to purchase approved parts, I would recommend
startnig another thread.

No, this thread is about buying *approved* parts at Autozone.

From the original post --
"You must buy the parts from an aviation source. Someone brought up that
landing lights can be bought cheaper at automotive supply stores than from
aviation outlets at a fraction of the cost. The FAA wouldn't hear of it. It
does not matter if the part is made by the same company with an identical part
number, if you didn't get it from an aviation source, then it is not an
airworthy part. The Safety Inspector gave three examples, the light bulb above,
an alternator belt, and an air filter."

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.

Old March 18th 05, 03:50 AM

SO what your saying is that any part that is bought from other than an
aviation store is a bogus part, regardless of the part number on the part.
I guess this means that all parts bought at an aviation junk yard are
not approved to use in aircraft since there is no verification of the
traceability of the part.
A part bought on Ebay can not be used on a certificated aircraft.
This appears to be a Very Narrow view of whats allowed.

Please show me the regulations which back your statements.

I've never seen a "Aviation Disapproved Part" before.
Is that in the small print somewheres?

Dave

Old March 18th 05, 06:34 AM
Dude

Absolutely. How could you even consider lying to your government?
After all, it has never lied to you.

Michael

I agree. Ask any indian for verification