Portable Radio

Old September 13th 05, 03:04 PM
Waduino

Default Portable Radio

Is anyone up on the latest Vertex 150 and ICOM A6 models?
Except for the batteries (1100mAh NiCd on the Vertex and 1650 NiMH on the
ICOM) they seem similar. The Vertex is less expensive.
Thanks.

Old September 13th 05, 07:11 PM
Tim Mara

Both radios have been very successful.......I've sold well over 100 of these
types and everyone seems to be pretty happy regardless of which brand they
decide on..the accessories are typically lower cost for Vertex than Icom as
are replacement batteries and so on. you can see more on these on
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page6.htm and
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page7.htm with links there to the
manufacturers or distributors pages
If it were me, I'd go the VXA300 over the VXA150 if only for the better
sounding speaker.....
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

.. .

Old September 13th 05, 08:59 PM
Mike the Strike

I just upgraded to the Vertex VXA-700 that adds amateur radio 2-meter
fm band coverage in addition to airband. There are a few places I land
out where cellphone coverage is spotty but I can still hit a ham
2-meter repeater.

I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
emergency use also.

Mike

snip

Old September 13th 05, 09:36 PM
Tim Mara

This model has also been very popular with Hang Gliding and para-gliding
pilots since many don't monitor or have use for G/A radio frequencies but
many also fly G/A aircraft or gliders as well....Unfortunately, Vertex just
discontinued offering this model.......it's expected they will have a new
version of this released sometime in the near future though (VXA710??)
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

oups.com...

Old September 14th 05, 12:05 AM
Wayne Paul

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
oups.com...

I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
emergency use also.

Are you encouraging non-licensed use of ham repeaters? Don't most
repeaters today require a specific sub-audio tone to key the repeater? Isn't
the reason for the tones to eliminate unlicensed operators? I have an old
Heath Kit hand held 2 meter unit that is almost useless because it doesn't
have sub-audio capabilities. I took my old hand held to Mackay, Idaho this
summer and realized that it couldn't key any relevant repeaters.

If you are going to the emergency FCC exception clause, wouldn't it get a
more rapid response if you used the law enforcement repeaters. This would
remove the "middle man" from the process.

In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take the
test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able to
pass the test with one weekend worth of study.

Wayne
W7ADK - a Ham for the past 50 years

Old September 14th 05, 12:42 AM
Tim.Ward

Wayne Paul wrote:
"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
oups.com...

I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
emergency use also.

snip
Don't most
repeaters today require a specific sub-audio tone to key the repeater? Isn't
the reason for the tones to eliminate unlicensed operators?

No, I think it's mostly for filtering the brainless twits that are
operating simplex in the duplex region of the bandplan. Maybe
licensed, maybe not.

snip

In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take the
test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able to
pass the test with one weekend worth of study.

Wayne
W7ADK - a Ham for the past 50 years

Yep, it's 55 questions spread across two tests -- you can even get the
test questions on the web. My wife started studying on a Wednesday
night, Friday we went out to dinner, Saturday we both passed the test.
It's very technical, covering such difficult material as "don't stick
your head in a microwave oven when it's on", "don't poke a fork in the
electrical outlet", and so forth. There's volunteer examining
committees almost everywhere -- you don't need to go to an FCC office.
I don't know what the test fee is now. A few years ago it was a little
over five bucks. A bargain.

Tim Ward
Tim Ward

Old September 14th 05, 04:20 AM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I have created a handheld radio comparison web page which may be helpful. I
also have created detailed web pages including photos of all the options for
the ICOM and Vertex radios. I have sold many of both units and they both
seem nice. One cool feature of the VXA-150 is that the LCD display is
angled 45 degrees and can be inverted so you can view it from the end of the
radio. That way it could perhaps be mounted in a tray in the instrument
panel.
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/radios-handheld.htm
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/icom.htm
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/vertex.htm

I recently decided on the A6 for myself. I'm very happy with it. It has a
much larger battery and display screen than the VXA-150.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

.. .

Old September 14th 05, 06:08 AM
Mike the Strike

Yes, I am encouraging non-hams to carry a 2-meter radio for
emergencies. Public service is one of the benefits the amateur
community provides and I know of few hams who would be too
thick-skinned to help a non-ham who had a problem.

Mike

(ex GW4KBF, ZS6BUF, AA4KU and AA7CT and still good for morse at 30wpm)

Old September 14th 05, 09:38 AM
Avron

Tim,
I am not happy with my VXA700.
The performance in 146Mhz are very bad and comunication with HG pilots
is not working.
Have you heared from other customers?
Maybe the antena is to be changed somehow without hearting the 120Mhz.

Best Gegards,
Avron Tal

Old September 14th 05, 03:24 PM
Tim Mara

actually, no.......most VXA700 owners I've heard from have been very
happy.....but if the radio isn't 100%, contact Yaesu(Vertex Standard) they
have always been very helpful and customer support from the manufacturer has
been excellent.
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

"Avron" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tim,
I am not happy with my VXA700.
The performance in 146Mhz are very bad and comunication with HG pilots
is not working.
Have you heared from other customers?
Maybe the antena is to be changed somehow without hearting the 120Mhz.

Best Gegards,
Avron Tal

Portable radio scanners Casey Wilson Piloting 1 August 1st 05 02:05 PM
I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Portable XM Radio receiver in the cockpit? Peter R. Piloting 13 September 4th 04 03:46 AM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM