Portable Radio

Old September 14th 05, 04:51 PM
dan

Wayne Paul wrote:

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
oups.com...

I know of at least one non-ham who carries a 2-meter radio for
emergency use also.

Are you encouraging non-licensed use of ham repeaters? Don't most
repeaters today require a specific sub-audio tone to key the repeater? Isn't
the reason for the tones to eliminate unlicensed operators? I have an old
Heath Kit hand held 2 meter unit that is almost useless because it doesn't
have sub-audio capabilities. I took my old hand held to Mackay, Idaho this
summer and realized that it couldn't key any relevant repeaters.

I think most repeaters that are using PL/DPL (CTCSS/DCS) are doing so in
an effort to better reject interference. Especially in urban areas the
repeater receivers may tend to hear a lot of inadvertant activity either
because of intermodulation or good propogation or just strong signals.
Generally speaking if the repeater is operating in this mode, the
particular tone is published by the ARRL (at least in the US) and probably
broadcast by the repeater when it identifies itself. Any modern
transmitter has subaudio capability so I don't see how this would prevent
unlicensed, and intentional interference. PL/DPL is, and has always been
a means of cooperatively sharing resources.

In the US, most of the barriers to get a Amateur Radio license have been
removed. Go to Radio Shack get a current license guide read it and take the
test for the "no-code" license class. Any glider pilot should be able to
pass the test with one weekend worth of study.

I agree with this one completely. There's no reason any pilot should have
trouble passing a no-code tech exam on 1 weekend's worth of studying. I
think its only about 50 questions, multiple choice, with published
questions and answers. I see no legitamite reason to use an amateur radio
unlicensed. The act of purchasing it essentially implies that you intend
at some point to use it. So even if its an emergency at the moment, it
wasn't an emergency during the one year between when you bought it and
used it during which time there's no reason you couldn't have gone out and
gotten a license.

dan
Old September 14th 05, 05:33 PM
Wayne Paul

"dan" wrote in message

Snip ..........Any modern
transmitter has subaudio capability so I don't see how this would prevent
unlicensed, and intentional interference. PL/DPL is, and has always been
a means of cooperatively sharing resources.

Dan,

I know this is true; however, modern equipment is a new concept for me. I
am a HF operator and continue to use vacuum tube base equipment that I built
in the 1960s and '70s. (Don't see a need to upgrade as long as I can keep
the stuff working.) Before my trip to Mackay, I had not tried to hit a 2
meter repeater for at least 15 years.

The technology of my sailplane, a HP-14, is consistent with the technology
of my "Ham" equipment. However, I do have it equipped with a GPS, PDA and
EW Model D data logger. (Am I slipping and bowing to modern technology?
http://www.soaridaho.com/photogaller.../17900_MSL.jpg)

I guess it is time for me to put all my 2 meter equipment into the useless
antique bin and buy some new stuff.

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/
W7ADK

Old September 14th 05, 06:36 PM

I have had a VXA700 for about 3 years and have some comments on its
use. The VXA700 is unique in that it combines a ham transceiver with an
aircraft band transceiver. A group of us at Minden like to talk a lot
in the air and, since we are mostly old hanglider and paraglider
pilots, have had ham licenses for years. We talk on the ham frequecies
a lot and do not worry other pilots. We have installed the VXA700 in
our gliders using ICOM antenna switch boxes so that the glider antennas
can be used for either the internal radios or the VXA700. This system
has worked well for us. There are a couple of caveats however. The
VXA700 is primarily a ham radio with an additional capability to
transceive the aircraft band. As such it does not generate as much
power as a typical hand held aircraft band transceiver. Secondly it was
designed for quieter environments than a glider and distorts at high
volumes so I use an optional speaker/mike clipped to a safety belt
below my mouth and ear. This works well.
I am using only the VXA700 in my SparrowHawk and find that using the
SparrowHawk antenna can communicate about 100 miles in the air on both
the ham and aircraft frequencies. It is therefore a real success in
this application and I hope that Vertex does not discontinue this dual
band radio. It would be a real loss since there is no equivalent.
Dave

Portable radio scanners Casey Wilson Piloting 1 August 1st 05 02:05 PM
I Hate Radios Ron Wanttaja Home Built 9 June 6th 05 05:39 PM
Portable XM Radio receiver in the cockpit? Peter R. Piloting 13 September 4th 04 03:46 AM
Ham Radio In The Airplane Cy Galley Owning 23 July 8th 03 03:30 AM