ATP wants a single engine add on

Old September 18th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default ATP wants a single engine add on

And for some reason he's picked me for the honor of training him.

But I'm a little confused on one thing. He claims to have a
commercial-multi, limited to centerline thrust, and an ATP multi,
unrestricted, with 737 and 757/767 type ratings. I wasn't aware that
you could have both those certificates...is that true?

And if it is, onto which certificate does the single engine airplane add
on go?

And one last question. I know I'd never, ever, train a primary student,
as long as it's been since I instructed, but this shouldn't be a huge
deal, right?
Old September 19th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

I've done it. Its an odd combination. On one hand they know the ATC
system very well (although I've found they believe the VFR system is
more restrictive than it is), on the other hand, there is some basic
stick-rudder items that they will be lacking.
I did a C-182T (glass cockpit) checkout with a 727 pilot once. When I
asked him to do power on stalls, the thought occured to me to ask him
if he knew which rudder was going to be needed to stay coordinated in
the stall. "Left?" he said.
My pointis that you need to remember that, dispite your student's
knowledge in some areas, he's a student pilot in others.

-Robert, CFII

Old September 19th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

My guess is that he is ex-mil... to account for the resume you've
listed. It DOES sound weird tho.. You would think the ATP would override
the commercial multi CLT..

As for which one it adds on to: My guess is.. which ever one he wants..
He can train for a ASEL ride to private, commercial or ATP standards
provided he has the time in type for the add-on. (havent looked at the
applicable reg for this one as to any required hours).

I'm guessing he just has to declare in advance which ride he is taking,
then meet the standards for it.

Dave

Old September 19th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

BTW: I would also recommend that you avoid getting into a battle of
"who's the best pilot". This can happen when you are training pilots
with lots of experience. Sometimes you just need to address it head on.
You may say something along the lines of "I know that you are a very
experienced pilot. Let's go out and review the basic items in our
syllabus. Maybe you'll learn something new, but worse case you'll get
my sign off for the checkride". Usually, if something goes terribly
wrong (like they can't land the Cessna), they'll understand something
is wrong and not put up a fight when you ask them for a few more hours
before the sign off. Most important, don't enter with the attitude of
"I know more than that guy", it doesn't help either way and you may
trigger a negative defense mechanism in him.

-Robert

Old September 19th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Dave S wrote:
My guess is that he is ex-mil... to account for the resume you've
listed.

He is. Has never flown a single.

It DOES sound weird tho.. You would think the ATP would override
the commercial multi CLT..

That's what I thought. Granted, he *could* just be carrying around the
invalid commercial, assuming it's still valid. Not sure what good it is.

As for which one it adds on to: My guess is.. which ever one he wants..
He can train for a ASEL ride to private, commercial or ATP standards
provided he has the time in type for the add-on. (havent looked at the
applicable reg for this one as to any required hours).

I'm trying to make it make sense by thinking of it how I did it. I had
a commercial single and just added the multi on. I believe it's the
same thing, no? He wouldn't have to go approaches, since that's a
commercial multi thing, but he'd had to add it at least at the
commercial or ATP level, because that's what he already has.

At least, as far as I can tell.
Old September 19th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
zatatime

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:43:08 -0500, Emily
wrote:

And for some reason he's picked me for the honor of training him.

But I'm a little confused on one thing. He claims to have a
commercial-multi, limited to centerline thrust, and an ATP multi,
unrestricted, with 737 and 757/767 type ratings. I wasn't aware that
you could have both those certificates...is that true?

And if it is, onto which certificate does the single engine airplane add
on go?

And one last question. I know I'd never, ever, train a primary student,
as long as it's been since I instructed, but this shouldn't be a huge
deal, right?

While I don't know the answer, I gave someone a BFR a couple months
ago with the same situation (except for the centerline thrust
limitation). I wasn't sure of the exact way to sign him off, so I
just left out the type of certificate he had as literally every other
instructor had done for the past 10 years.

Whatever you learn here, you may want to call the FSDO and/or examiner
who will do the check ride to make sure you satisfy them.

Old September 19th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

He has an ATP MEL, the center-line thrust limitation should
have been lifted. I have an ATP SMEL and since I held an
ASES as a commercial pilot before I got the ATP, the SES is
listed on my certificate as commercial privileges.

But I think the failure to remove the limitation on his ATP
is a clerical error. He may have gotten a MEL center thrust
from a military rating or from a Cessna 337.

In any case, FAR 61, additional ratings applies, but if he
adds-on at the commercial practical test level he needs all
the endorsements and instructor sign-offs, but if he takes
the tests at the ATP level, he just does it.

. ..

Old September 19th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The CLT multi-commercial should have been surrendered, do
they both have the same number and name. Have you checked
on the FAA web site for his official ratings?

Old September 19th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
The CLT multi-commercial should have been surrendered, do
they both have the same number and name. Have you checked
on the FAA web site for his official ratings?

He's opted out (or he's lying about being a pilot, but I've seen him
walk off a commercial jet in uniform and with ID, so I'm guessing he's
opted out).

I'm guessing that when he got his ATP, he should have surrendered his
commercial but didn't for some reason. I have a feeling it has to do
with his military experience.

So let me get this straight, if he adds on to the commercial (which I
don't think he can do, since he shouldn't have one) it requires the
training and signoffs, but if he adds on to the ATP, it doesn't? Can
you point in me in the right direction for added on ATP ratings?
Old September 19th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Emily wrote:

I'm guessing that when he got his ATP, he should have surrendered his
commercial but didn't for some reason.

one pretty good reason not to surrender a certificate when you upgrade
it, is if said certificate has a rating which you do not want to give
up and which is not covered by the new certificate. Although this is not
exactly germane to this discussion, I did keep my old private certificate
(obtained under 61.75 (*)) even though I now have a commercial, because
said private certificate still has my glider rating on it; could it
be a similar situation?

--Sylvain

(*) before someone jumps all over me quoting 61.75(b)(3), whereby
you cannot get a certificate under 61.75 if you already hold a US pilot
certificate, nothing prevents you from keeping it after you get
a US certificate. But I digress :-)