Mystery Propellor

Old October 20th 04, 01:50 PM
M Pengelly

Default Mystery Propellor

Hello,

I've just 'inherited' an old wooden propeller and would like to know if
possible, something about its past. On it are two metal plates. One reads:

DRG NO
DH5220 MR23
GIPSY MAJOY
D6' - 4" P.4' - 6"

And the other on the other side of the hub reads:

MAY 1940
K2973
69871

I've made a few investigations and believe that the prop is from a Tiger
Moth. But the serial K2973 if that is what it is, relates to a Hawker Hart.
So, is the serial number incorrect, or did the Tiggie have a run in with a
Hart with that number? I'm none the wiser, but am hoping that someone out
there, might be able to tell me more about this propeller.

I look forward in hearing your suggestions and would appreciate if possible
an email could also be sent, as I'm not a regular user of the Internet.

Martin Pengelly
Cornwall, UK

Old October 20th 04, 02:03 PM
The Raven

"M Pengelly" wrote in message
Hello,

I've just 'inherited' an old wooden propeller and would like to know if
possible, something about its past. On it are two metal plates. One
reads:

DRG NO
DH5220 MR23
GIPSY MAJOY
D6' - 4" P.4' - 6"

Sounds like it's from a Gyspy Major.

And the other on the other side of the hub reads:

MAY 1940
K2973
69871

I've made a few investigations and believe that the prop is from a Tiger
Moth.

Sounds like it.

--
The Raven
http://www.80scartoons.co.uk/batfinkquote.mp3

Old October 20th 04, 09:30 PM
Craig

"M Pengelly" wrote in message ...

And the other on the other side of the hub reads:

MAY 1940
K2973
69871

I've made a few investigations and believe that the prop is from a Tiger
Moth. But the serial K2973 if that is what it is, relates to a Hawker Hart.
So, is the serial number incorrect, or did the Tiggie have a run in with a
Hart with that number? I'm none the wiser, but am hoping that someone out
there, might be able to tell me more about this propeller.

Prop serial numbers are completely independant of airframe serial
numbers. It's only a coincidense that your prop has a s/n on it that
is the same as an airframe s/n

Craig C.

Old October 21st 04, 07:03 AM
RDA

It's entirely likely that the Hart used this 76x54 prop, since I believe
they were both powered by a Gypsy Major engine; which, according to the
stamping, seems to be a viable assumption.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:59 AM
Pooh Bear

M Pengelly wrote:

[...]

I assume that's meant to be Gipsy Major.

The DH part number indicates de Havilland ( which figures )

The RAF used K numbers for aircaraft btw.

" Propeller drawings for sale. DH5220 (3 sheets); DH5220 test fan (1 sheet);
DH5232 (1 sheet) and H77265, metal sheath for DH5180 and DH5220 series
propellers. £40 the lot. Telephone Garry on 01403 241689. (GB). "

http://www.dhmothclub.co.uk/advert/mm4-2003.html

Graham

Old November 1st 04, 05:05 AM
RDA

OOPS
Well, Vic, was there a Hawker trainer that was similar in size and type to
the Moth?? Methinks I assumed (there's that word again) that the airplane
I was thinking about was so named. If there is such an airplane....now
where's that blasted reference book on the RAF...it's around here
someplace....
RDA

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
In article ,

"RDA"
wrote:
It's entirely likely that the Hart used this 76x54 prop, since I
believe
they were both powered by a Gypsy Major engine; which, according to
the
stamping, seems to be a viable assumption.

Oh dear

The Hawker Hart was a light bomber, powered by a 525hp Roll-Royce Kestrel
engine. The prop would have been much larger than a Gipsy Major's

Vic Smith

--

E-mail to mailto:vee-en@ (use rest of address in From line)

Old November 1st 04, 04:56 PM
M Pengelly

The aircraft in question was the Hawker Tomtit. Cant remember what engine
it had, but was some kind of early radial.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed to the 'history' of my prop.

Thanks,

Martin
"RDA" wrote in message
OOPS
Well, Vic, was there a Hawker trainer that was similar in size and type

the Moth?? Methinks I assumed (there's that word again) that the

airplane
I was thinking about was so named. If there is such an airplane....now
where's that blasted reference book on the RAF...it's around here
someplace....
RDA

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
In article ,

Old November 1st 04, 09:42 PM
Richard Herring

In article , M Pengelly
wrote
The aircraft in question was the Hawker Tomtit. Cant remember what engine
it had, but was some kind of early radial.

There's one in the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden, so they may be
able to tell you.
--
Richard Herring

Strange propellor setup Dick Home Built 5 November 28th 04 02:33 PM
Propellor Primer Ebby Home Built 3 November 19th 04 11:36 AM
WW1 propellor Sander van Doormaal General Aviation 4 November 2nd 04 04:54 PM
Mystery avionics identification??? Steve Owning 3 March 15th 04 07:41 PM
About German Mystery Objects Erich Adler Military Aviation 85 February 22nd 04 03:10 AM