WW-II rocket motor on E-bay - opinions ?

Old August 7th 05, 11:05 PM
BeepBeep

Default WW-II rocket motor on E-bay - opinions ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocket-Engine-Ge...cm dZViewItem

Anybody think this can actually be lit off ?

that is - without

(a). any tech manual documentation
(b). any kind of hazmat permits (presuming it uses
some toxic chemicals for fuel).
(c). blowing oneself up

Old August 7th 05, 11:40 PM
St. John Smythe

BeepBeep wrote:
Anybody think this can actually be lit off ?

that is - without

(a). any tech manual documentation
(b). any kind of hazmat permits (presuming it uses
some toxic chemicals for fuel).
(c). blowing oneself up

How to put this...if I had the tech manual, the fuel and oxidizer, the
permits and immortality, I still wouldn't attempt to fire it up. Too
many ways to have more fun than that with propellant systems these days.

--
St. John
Old August 8th 05, 12:27 AM
Roy

The engine uses T-stoff or C-Stoff IIRC a forerunner of todays
Hydrazine was what C-Stoff was, and T-Stoff was mainly Hydrogen
Peroxide.......Supposedly it could turn your flesh to jello if it got
on you and it was known to spontaneously ignite if spilled on organic
materials like cotton or wood etc.
T-Stoff was used in early models of the engine, and C-Stoff in later
models.......exhaust approx 1800 deg with the C and 600 with the T
Might be neat to have, but not something I would want to fool with.
Should not be any permits needed for any of the chemicals used to
make the "(X)"-Stoff

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 22:40:02 GMT, "St. John Smythe"
wrote:

===BeepBeep wrote:
=== Anybody think this can actually be lit off ?
===
=== that is - without
===
=== (a). any tech manual documentation
=== (b). any kind of hazmat permits (presuming it uses
=== some toxic chemicals for fuel).
=== (c). blowing oneself up
===
===How to put this...if I had the tech manual, the fuel and oxidizer, the
===permits and immortality, I still wouldn't attempt to fire it up. Too
===many ways to have more fun than that with propellant systems these days.

"The original frugal ponder"
Old August 8th 05, 12:34 AM
Scott Schuckert

In article , BeepBeep
wrote:

(a). any tech manual documentation

Sure!

(b). any kind of hazmat permits (presuming it uses some toxic chemicals for fuel).

Hydrazine and methanol, according to Wikipedia. The methanol is no
problem; the hydrazine is considered a hazardoussubstance and probably
regulated to some extent. (VERY hazardous - i've read reports of what
happened in WWII when pilots were splashed with the stuff).

(c). blowing oneself up

Ah, there's the rub. These blew up pretty regularly 60 years ago when
they were new. I don't even want to be in the same COUNTY with you when
you try this one...
Old August 8th 05, 12:59 AM
miket6065

In my much younger days I knew the Merrerschmidt test pilot, Karl Bauer. I
was very young then but I do remember hearing him give a series of lectures
at this aviation historical group my dad belong to, about his flying
experiences during WWII. Each week a different person gave his experiences
during aviations greatest and worst moments.

Karl told us that one of his friends was killed by the Komet when it crashed
on landing. The plane flipped over and the fuel cell broken open. By the
time the ground crew/medics arrive the pilot had the back of his head
dissolved by the fuel. Dad and I talked about this years later and it seems
Karl refused to fly the Komet. Probably the only Me design he didn't fly.

Point of interest, Dad told me that the Gigant flying transport originally
was a glider. But after a very nasty crash in which over 100+ paras were
killed and four aircraft crashed it was converted to engines. Probably was
that the pilot didn't have a direct linkage to the engine. It seems in the
wings were the flight engineers and the pilot spoke into speaking tubes
giving orders about power settings. This was almost as dangerous as the
glider idea and Karl complained bitterly. Finally the pilot had some direct
power control on the engines.

Really interesting man, saddly he died when a nurse screwed up a put an air
bubble into his vein. The bubble hit his heart and that was it. I remember
dad crying when he heard the news. Karl was very respected by the
historical community.

Old August 8th 05, 01:13 AM
Al Gloer

a - no
b - The origial fuels were, IIRC, hypergolic and ignited on contact. I think
tit was a hydrazine and alcohol mix. I also rember reading that you almost
had to wear a space suit to fuel the beast..
c - no (see b)

Old August 8th 05, 02:26 AM

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 18:05:55 -0400, "BeepBeep"
wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocket-Engine-Ge...cm dZViewItem

Anybody think this can actually be lit off ?

that is - without

(a). any tech manual documentation
(b). any kind of hazmat permits (presuming it uses
some toxic chemicals for fuel).
(c). blowing oneself up

I was lucky enough to get a good tour of the Garber Facility back in
the late '80s. One of the things they emphasized was that "museum
quality" and "airworthy" were two, very different things.

This would be a cool conversation piece. Or an instrument of
self-immolation. Owne'rs choice, I guess.

Bill Kambic
Old August 8th 05, 04:51 AM
Roy

I have had hydrazine on me already and it amaounted to nithing more
than having water splashed on you. I hgot dosed with it my a dumb
a$$ed fuel troop when he was working on a EPU on an F-16C, and two
others also got it all over them..Of course the place went into a
panic, they made us strip down on the flight line, butt nekid, the
fire department came and hosed us down and sprayed us with chlorox,
carried us wrapped up in sheets to the base hospital, where they
washed us and washed us some more and took blood tests, and continued
to take blood tests for over 6 months just about every week or
two.......It did not burn or sting or anything else it was like
water....

For hydrazine and also the fuels the Komet used it has to pass over a
catylyst bed which caused it to ignite or actually decompose, and in
the decomposing process it created heat and flame

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 19:34:57 -0400, Scott Schuckert
wrote:

===In article , BeepBeep
===

Old August 8th 05, 10:57 AM
Keith W

"Scott Schuckert" wrote in message
In article , BeepBeep
wrote:

(a). any tech manual documentation

Sure!

(b). any kind of hazmat permits (presuming it uses some toxic chemicals
for fuel).

Hydrazine and methanol, according to Wikipedia. The methanol is no
problem; the hydrazine is considered a hazardoussubstance and probably
regulated to some extent. (VERY hazardous - i've read reports of what
happened in WWII when pilots were splashed with the stuff).

Thats only the fuel or C-stoff which was 57% Methanol, 30% hydrazine
hydrate and 13% water. The killer was the oxidiser, t-stoff which was 80%
concentrated hydrogen peroxide. This compound causes spontaneous
combustion when in contact with almost any fuel, including human flesh.

Keith

Old August 8th 05, 11:00 AM
Keith W

"BeepBeep" wrote in message
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocket-Engine-Ge...cm dZViewItem

Anybody think this can actually be lit off ?

that is - without

(a). any tech manual documentation
(b). any kind of hazmat permits (presuming it uses
some toxic chemicals for fuel).

Oh yes indeedy.

(c). blowing oneself up

The Me-163 killed far more of its own pilots than it did
the enemy and many died horribly in fuel accidents
and when their rocket motors exploded.

There are plenty of relatively safe modern rocket
motors available, running a 60 year old Walter
rocket is just an expensive way of committing suicide.

Keith