Cherokees in close formation

Old August 30th 05, 02:57 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Default Cherokees in close formation

I heard what sounded like a twin with poorly sync'd props Sunday. Looked up
and watched two Cherokees in close echelon formation flying over. Never
thought I'd see Cherokees doing that. Now I want to find someone to do that
with. (Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying).

Old August 30th 05, 03:11 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I heard what sounded like a twin with poorly sync'd props Sunday. Looked up
and watched two Cherokees in close echelon formation flying over. Never
thought I'd see Cherokees doing that. Now I want to find someone to do that
with. (Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying).

"Goldfinger" (1964) http://imdb.com/title/tt0058150

Features Cherokee 140 formation taking off, flying and landing...
By women in rocket bras...
Old August 30th 05, 04:36 PM
Frank Stutzman

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I heard what sounded like a twin with poorly sync'd props Sunday. Looked up
and watched two Cherokees in close echelon formation flying over. Never
thought I'd see Cherokees doing that.

The Bonanzas to Oshkosh group put over a 100 bonanzas in loose formation
for a group arrival to the show. A subset of that group does scary tight
(IMHO) formations (see http://www.beechbum.com/pages/1/index.htm)

I've been to several of their practice clinics, but have never done the
group arrival with them. Lots of fun. It is also lots of work, and the
stress of it may not be for everyone.

Now I want to find someone to do that
with. (Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying).

Does your insurance explicity deny coverage for formation flight?

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old August 30th 05, 04:45 PM
Newps

Frank Stutzman wrote:

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I heard what sounded like a twin with poorly sync'd props Sunday. Looked up
and watched two Cherokees in close echelon formation flying over. Never
thought I'd see Cherokees doing that.

The Bonanzas to Oshkosh group put over a 100 bonanzas in loose formation
for a group arrival to the show.

And screwed up the arrival this year.

Old August 30th 05, 05:38 PM
Rolf Blom

On 2005-08-30 15:57, Bob Chilcoat wrote:
I heard what sounded like a twin with poorly sync'd props Sunday. Looked up
and watched two Cherokees in close echelon formation flying over. Never
thought I'd see Cherokees doing that. Now I want to find someone to do that
with. (Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying).

A couple of pictures of Skybirds formations:

http://infoworx.se/torget%5Crfk%5Cbi...ategory=2002-8
http://www.vemdaleninfo.se/hedlanda/...gdag/birds.jpg

(Skybirds is a team of women pilots that can be seen at many airshows in
Sweden, they fly a mixed group of Pa28:s. I couldn't find any english
webpage for them.)

/Rolf
Old August 30th 05, 06:44 PM
Frank Stutzman

Newps wrote:

The Bonanzas to Oshkosh group put over a 100 bonanzas in loose formation
for a group arrival to the show.

And screwed up the arrival this year.

Apparently there were some issues this year. There was a 2 hour weather
hold at Rockford due to weather. An then there was a take off incident
caused the lead of element 13 to abort his takeoff (failed to put his
mixture rich and his engine stalled when he went to full throttle). This
put a gap in the arrival procession.

None the less, the group put 100 planes on the ground at OSH in 20
minutes. Still a pretty good feat, IMO.

So I've been told (http://www.b2osh.org/Reviews/review_2005.htm). Wasn't
there personally.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old August 30th 05, 07:53 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-08-30, Bob Chilcoat wrote:
with. (Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying).

Really? I've never seen an insurance policy do that. Even our club
insurance didn't do that (nor any FBO that I've been to).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old August 30th 05, 08:41 PM
Jay Honeck

I heard what sounded like a twin with poorly sync'd props Sunday. Looked up
and watched two Cherokees in close echelon formation flying over. Never
thought I'd see Cherokees doing that. Now I want to find someone to do that
with. (Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying).

Not REAL close formation, but here are a few pix from a couple of weeks
ago, where we flew together with a friend's Cherokee 180:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/flying_with_doug.htm

And, of course, we flew up to OSH '05 in loose formation with Jack
Allison and his Arrow...

Flying that close to someone is very tiring, but it's tough to get
air-to-air photos any other way!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 30th 05, 10:45 PM
Michael

Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying

Really? I've never seen an insurance policy like that. Ever.

Mind telling us who writes the policy and the details of the language?

Michael

Old August 31st 05, 12:26 AM
Dave Stadt

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
I heard what sounded like a twin with poorly sync'd props Sunday. Looked

up
and watched two Cherokees in close echelon formation flying over. Never
thought I'd see Cherokees doing that. Now I want to find someone to do

that
with. (Joking, our insurance won't allow formation flying).

What insurance company might that be? There can be very real safety
benefits to formation flying.