What's the best sounding aircraft you ever heard?

Old December 2nd 03, 05:58 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Default What's the best sounding aircraft you ever heard?

This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.

Triple Delta

Old December 2nd 03, 06:12 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote:

This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.

Triple Delta

I have to vote for the "song of the Merlin," one of the smoothest
sounding recip engines ever made.

Old December 2nd 03, 06:47 PM
Dale

In article ,
"DeltaDeltaDelta" wrote:

This came to mind when I heard a RAF VC-10K overflying my house at some 1000
feet AGL at full steam. What a sound! The VC-10 both looks and sounds
powerful. Also, the piston Yak-52 I heard a few days ago...unbelievable,
such a powerful and awe inspiring sound. The only thing I regret is never
hearing a DC-6 at full throttle; watching a documentary on ConAir
firefighting services today (on Discovery Science) I heard one pilot remark
that those 76 cylinders at full power sound 'like a Hell's Angels funeral'.

I've heard many DC-6 takeoffs and they don't sound like a Hell's Angel
funeral....they sound like several Hell's Angels funerals. G

Greatest sounding airplane is tough question...

B-17 flying over
Wildcat
Mustang

Those have a glorious sound.

The rest of the WWII fighters/bombers/etc

F4 Phantom - can you say loud

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old December 2nd 03, 07:11 PM
John Gaquin

Anything radial, multiple, and large in climb. From the cockpit or the
ground. Once the props are pulled back and really biting the air, it
deepens the tone. Marvelous! Closely rivaled by any large radial starting.

JG

Old December 2nd 03, 07:20 PM
Jim Weir

The ones dropping retardant on the fire a mile down the road.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old December 2nd 03, 07:34 PM
Peter Duniho

Hands down: Rare Bear, the highly modified Grumman Bearcat owned by Lyle
Shelton. It has a deep-throated growl (how appropriate!), a "voice" that
speaks of power through timbre and modulation, rather than volume.

Old December 2nd 03, 07:42 PM
Mike Rapoport

Cessna 185 after waiting 5 days for it to stop snowing so that he could get
in and take us back to civillization.

Mike
MU-2

Old December 2nd 03, 09:16 PM
Jay Honeck

The MATS Constellation's four Curtis-Wright, 3350 cubic inch, 2500
horsepower radial engines make a sound like nothing I've ever heard before,
or since.

The crew of the Connie was our very first guests at the inn, when we opened
in August of 2002. They paid for their stay with a bunch of Connie artwork,
and a ride for my son and me. It was a hot summer morning, so they left the
over-wing doors OUT (not open -- OUT). Thus, the sound of those amazing
engines and props was unimpeded by even the fuselage!

We were deaf for hours afterward. It was heaven!

You can see video of this amazing bird on their website at
http://www.connie.com/video.shtml . The sound doesn't capture it, of
course -- but it's the next best thing!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 2nd 03, 09:29 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Also, russians produce excellent noise. Once i just happened to be on the
observation deck of LDZA when I saw, that is heard, an Il-76 rolling down
the runway for takeoff. Man, I bet that sound was heard for miles and miles
around! I can hear MiG-21s taking off from more than 7 miles away...

Triple Delta