Which rating would be more helpful?

Old July 17th 03, 06:32 PM
Jeffrey LLoyd

Default Which rating would be more helpful?

Hello. I'm a 700 hour commercial/single-engine land/instrument pilot.
I'm also 39 years old. I would like to fly a bit
'semi-professionally'; i.e. part-time right-seat for a corporate gig,
ferry jobs etc. I have no illusions about flying for Delta. My wife
and I are expecting another child in a few months, and I know that,
after she's born, I won't be able to do much flying (I think I'll
still be able to get in 50-60 hours a year). Basically, I have time
and money to get one of two ratings before she's born...I can do my
commercial multi, or I can do my CFI. I probably can't do both. And I
would like the opinions of some of the professional pilots out there
about which rating/certificate would help me get into a gig that would
let me fly a bit 'semi-pro'. I have some good connections with some
corporate/charter types, and I have one guy who said he could probably
get me a couple dozen hours a year sitting in the right seat of a King
Air, but no promises. I tend to think that the multi would be the
better investment. I'd like to teach, but in my area we seem to have a
surplus of CFIs, so I doubt I could get on with any of the schools in
the near future. I've gotten various opinions from the full-time
pilots I know. A 135 charter pilot buddy thought I should go for the
CFI, but a friend flying for ASA thought the multi would be much
better. So...any ideas which way I should go?

Thanks in advance
Old July 17th 03, 07:00 PM
Larry Fransson

The multiengine rating will cost more. Get it now while it's easier to
justify. It also sounds like your prospects are better in that
direction. The CFI probably won't cost as much. It will be easier to
get later if it looks like it might be useful.

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!
Old July 17th 03, 07:02 PM
Bob Gardner

Multi in a heartbeat. I can't imagine how having a CFI would advance your
agenda. Someone looking for a right-seater will not care if you have a CFI.
Keep in mind that you may not be able to log the KingAir time, if that is
important to you. Checkbook trumps logbook.

Bob Gardner

om...