GPS_LOG freezing and freezing

Old May 7th 05, 12:10 AM
cernauta

Default GPS_LOG freezing and freezing

Does anybody have any suggestions for this problem?
At the moment I run version 1.2.4.7. NMEA source is my LX-20.
I have hard-reset the unit, and installed only GPS_LOG (on a dedicated
Ipaq 3130). NMEA sentence is set to RMC, 4800 bps.

enjoy the sky

Aldo Cernezzi
Old May 7th 05, 02:52 AM
Henryk Birecki

Question is does anyone with similar configuration have the same
problem.

You did not provide enough of a description for me to attempt to help.
Let's communicate directly. I need a definition of "freezing". How
often does it freeze and under what circumstances? Does it freeze if
you use just a standard GPS? Is "RX_FLAG" off....

Regards,
Henryk Birecki

Old May 7th 05, 11:44 PM
cernauta

Henryk Birecki wrote:

Question is does anyone with similar configuration have the same
problem.

You did not provide enough of a description for me to attempt to help.
Let's communicate directly. I need a definition of "freezing". How
often does it freeze and under what circumstances? Does it freeze if
you use just a standard GPS? Is "RX_FLAG" off....

Thank you very much for your interest, Henryk.
I tried today, once more. With another Ipaq (3630).
It freezes in thermals. Not in straight flight. Just a few circles,
and the blinking symbol will stop blinking, the Ipaq won't respond,
I'll soft-reset.

After the flight I have checked the NMEA settings on my LX20. There
were probably too many activated sentences. Disabled all of them
except RMC. Will this cure the problem, next flight?

Never tried with a standard GPS, just the LX20.
I'll check for the RX_FLAG to be off.

I'll post the results. Thank you!

Aldo
Old May 8th 05, 04:36 PM

Just an idea.
I am using GPS-LOG an IPAQ 3630 and an HICOM HI-203E GPS Receiver.
Usually it works fine and i am very satisfied. I had one, maybe two
situations when GPS LOG freezed in flight while thermaling and i had to
make a reset in flight.
This occured first when i started using the gps receiver in my Libelle
201B. Before this the receiver was fixed in an Astir CS77 on top of the
instrument board (behind the compass) and i never had any problem. In
the Libelle I have the receiver in a rather low position behind the
pilot seat on the right side in the cockpit (yes, i will improve this).
I guess the the gps receiver looses signal while left-circling because,
there is to much of the wing between the receiver and the sky so the
signal strenght is not good enough.
If I look at the logfiles, there are some / very few strange pikes,
which also makes me think that i loose the GPS signal.
Ruediger

Old May 8th 05, 06:39 PM
Henryk Birecki

Thanks for the input Ruediger. I think you are right that the problem
is strange input from the GPS due to signal loss, but that should not
freeze the program (but it seems to). Hopefully I'll get some raw data
from Aldo that will help point at the mechanism of those crashes.

Regards,

Henryk

wrote:

[...]

Dr. Henryk Birecki phone: 1-650-857-4597
Principal project Scientist FAX: 1-650-852-8579
Hewlett Packard Laboratories
1501 Page Mill Rd.
Palo Alto, CA 94304