Al-Qaida targeted Western forests, memo says

Old July 14th 03, 06:21 PM
Newps

Drop an incendiary device anywhere in a western forest at this time of
year and it will start a fire.

Ron Natalie wrote:
"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message et...

I forget the news story I saw it in, but some official was quoted as saying
dropping from a plane could reach very inaccessible areas, giving the fires
more time to get going before firefighters arrived. The story also
mentioned the preferred plan ended up being to leave time-delay incendiary
devices hidden deep in the woods which were carried in by person.

Allows you to place it where it might actually get a fire started. Dropping
them out of planes is sort of random.

Old July 14th 03, 11:25 PM
Peter Gottlieb

What I find to be the most interesting part is how the actual terrorists
talk about going in on foot yet the threat our government worries about is
completely different.

I guess they figure they can't stop people walking in so they talk about the
threat from the air.

m...

Old July 15th 03, 12:10 AM
L Smith

Newps wrote:

Drop an incendiary device anywhere in a western forest at this time of
year and it will start a fire.

During WWII the Japanese tried to start forest fires in the west by
sending incendiary bombs
on balloons across the Pacific. They killed four kids and a Sunday
School Teacher (IIRC)
in the Roseburg area (about an hour south of Eugene), but other than
that they had little
effect on the forests.

Rich Lemert

Old July 15th 03, 02:57 AM
G.R. Patterson III

L Smith wrote:

Newps wrote:

Drop an incendiary device anywhere in a western forest at this time of
year and it will start a fire.

During WWII the Japanese tried to start forest fires in the west by
sending incendiary bombs
on balloons across the Pacific.

Yeah, but the Japanese efforts were on the Pacific side of the mountains.
It's *much* drier on the other side. That's where Utah is.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel

Old July 15th 03, 07:02 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:40:06 -0700, "David Brooks"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

"Newps" wrote in message
. net...
Oh, please, you couldn't start a fire near Seattle if you had a match
and some gasoline.

Wrong. You don't need the match.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/...anker12ww.html

11,300 gallons of gasoline burning and still no forest fire.

Old July 15th 03, 07:19 PM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
11,300 gallons of gasoline burning and still no forest fire.

All the trees had already been cut down there.

It's hard to have a forest fire without a forest.

Old July 15th 03, 11:29 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:19:00 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote in Message-Id:
:

All the trees had already been cut down there.

The news article failed to mention that fact.