A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New public alpha for ClearNav Display

Old November 3rd 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default New public alpha for ClearNav Display

Link to CN downloads page he
http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-downloads.html

See version 2.2.0.38alpha.

This version offers numerous enhancements and includes comprehensive display of data from flarm. See the notes for details and screen shots of flarm warning display in action.

Link to v38 notes he
http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-software-22038.html

Please visit our forum and register if you would like to participate:

http://clearnav.net/simplemachinesforum/

Best regards,

Evan Ludeman for ClearNav Instruments
Old November 4th 12, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]
external usenet poster

This version offers numerous enhancements and includes comprehensive display of data from flarm. See the notes for details and screen shots of flarm warning display in action.

"The split screen Flarm alarm only activates when another Flarm equipped aircraft (glider) is judged to be a threat. There are no alarms for Mode C/ADS-B traffic."

Has a decision been made to never implement alarms for Mode C or ADS-B, or is this a feature that is still in development?

Andy GY
Old November 4th 12, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:59:57 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

"The split screen Flarm alarm only activates when another Flarm equipped aircraft (glider) is judged to be a threat. There are no alarms for Mode C/ADS-B traffic."

Has a decision been made to never implement alarms for Mode C or ADS-B, or is this a feature that is still in development?

Andy GY

Of course not. This is simply where we are, today. I am not involved in the code myself (thank heavens) but I suspect the approach being taken at this point is to make use of the information as transmitted by flarm. AFAIK -- and I could have this wrong -- flarm does not provide collision "warnings" for adsb targets or txp signals.

-Evan Ludeman for CNi

Old November 5th 12, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)
external usenet poster

Any news on a new screen technology or architecture? Maybe a mobile app?
Old November 5th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 8:53:34 PM UTC-5, Sean F (F2) wrote:
Any news on a new screen technology or architecture? Maybe a mobile app?

New screen technology? I think we're pretty much the gold standard right now. Oh, I'd like to be able to make it thinner and lighter and lower power and cheaper... and probably some day that will happen. But I think you'll get a surprise if you compare your Dell Streak 5 (I have one of those too) to CN. CN is a *much* faster read in the air. If you get the chance, fly one, you'll see. The magic of CN is absolute minimum head down time.

We're not much interested in porting software for mobile devices. CN's hardware and software compliment each other by design. It seems likely we'd be disappointed in the compromises involved in working with mass market devices.

-Evan Ludeman
Old November 5th 12, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 4, 2012 10:13:51 AM UTC-5, Evan Ludeman wrote:
On Sunday, November 4, 2012 9:59:57 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:

Andy GY

Of course not. This is simply where we are, today. I am not involved in the code myself (thank heavens) but I suspect the approach being taken at this point is to make use of the information as transmitted by flarm. AFAIK -- and I could have this wrong -- flarm does not provide collision "warnings" for adsb targets or txp signals.

-Evan Ludeman for CNi

Email from Gerhard this morning (thanks Gerhard!) points out that PowerFlarm does provide collision warnings for ADSB targets with danger level in a similar fashion to Flarm - Flarm conflicts. Good job, Flarm.

That being the case, it'll work in CN too.

-Evan Ludeman for CNi