Hangar/Home Advice

Old November 23rd 16, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default Hangar/Home Advice

This endeavor may never materialize but I'm thinking about it.

Please give any advice about what to look out for, or what to look for, or nice to have, as well as minimums and ideal as far as looking for and acquiring property, hangar and constructing a hanger for living. Maybe someone has done this or has thought about it.

This could be any advice from ensuring enough windows are installed, to what to check for in features that cause unexpected rotors, to placement of the hangar, to min size of hangar, to insurance issues.

My thought is about 10 acres with metal hanger mid field with north side of hanger well clear of trees and opposite of living area with windows. North side of hanger to have HVAC. Field side to have hanger door and opposite side to have 2 car garage doors. No landscaping. South side of hanger to have windows and french doors to patio. One entrance door from garage into hanger and one into living area. One door on side of garage doors for entrance into living area. One door adjacent to hangar door. And this is a budget project with comfort but no pool or other unnecessary amenities.

I do realize that some counties in NC allow owner sub contracting while others counties require contractors for commercial and residential construction. I'm familiar with residential construction but not very familiar with airfield construction or set up.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 23rd 16, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Local ordinances may require a fire wall between hangar and living
space. I can't think of anything else except to wish you well.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 23rd 16, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Thanks Dan. I was thinking that attached residential garages only require sheet rock. And actually codes are pretty sorry. They are only minimums.
Old November 23rd 16, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Reminds me of a sad story where a commercial operator
built a gorgeous hangar, after obtaining all required
approvals. A few years later the FAA decided the hangar
was too close to the runway - so they closed the runway.
Old November 24th 16, 04:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 5:04:20 PM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
Thanks Dan. I was thinking that attached residential garages only require sheet rock. And actually codes are pretty sorry. They are only minimums.

Not sure if it's National Fire Code, but many areas require a self-closing door between garage/hangar and any living space and the door has to meet fire code (e.g., a "15 minute" door) to slow any fire (and prevent gas fumes from migrating in).
Old November 24th 16, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 11:39:56 PM UTC-5, Duster wrote:
On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 5:04:20 PM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
Thanks Dan. I was thinking that attached residential garages only require sheet rock. And actually codes are pretty sorry. They are only minimums.

Not sure if it's National Fire Code, but many areas require a self-closing door between garage/hangar and any living space and the door has to meet fire code (e.g., a "15 minute" door) to slow any fire (and prevent gas fumes from migrating in).

No doubt that codes are different throughout the country. I know that energy codes are higher in CA than in NC and FL.
Old November 24th 16, 12:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There is a website, http://livingwithyourplane.com/ , that might have some useful information.
Airpark living is not bad.
bob