Download options for Cambridge Model 20

Old May 8th 05, 11:27 PM
Papa3

Default Download options for Cambridge Model 20

I use a Cambridge Model 20 logger and Cambridge Pocket Nav running on a
Compaq Aero 1520 (yeah, I know, I'm several versions behind on software and
hardware, but I'm a creature of habit).

Anyway, I'm sick of the little red mark next to my OLC claims. I'm not
willing to pack my laptop for everyday trips to the airport, and the Model
20 is securely tucked away under my glareshield, so direct access to the
serial port is inconvenient. What are my options for a download using just
the Compaq 1520? I'm basically not willing to jump through any hoops, so it
needs to be something that runs natively on the Pocket PC OS. Oh, and it
should be free :-))

Thanks,

Erik Mann (P3)

Old May 9th 05, 12:19 AM
Gary Evans

I use a 2110 Compaq Aero which is the color version
with GNII and a model 20. When closing the program
at the end of a flight it asks if I want to down load
the flight log. When the down load is complete it indicates
if file security is OK. The file is stored in the 2300
for later download to the home computer.

Old May 9th 05, 01:37 AM
Papa3

Gary,

Pretty much the same as I do with Pocket Nav. It also indicates
security okay. For some reason, the Cambirdge software (this pre-dates
GNII) doesn't insert a G record. I get the A record, H records, a
single-instance I record, L records, then all of the B records. But,
no G.

I should clarify that I KNOW that a "legitimate" G record can only be
produced by the Cambridge authorized DLL; what I was hoping for was
that somebody had created a Pocket PC download application that invoked
the appropriate DLL, suitably packaged for running on Pocket PC.

I simply refuse to deal with the bull**** of having to lug around a
laptop (which no longer has a serial port, so add on to that the USB to
Serial adapter) to bring over to the glider or deal with the fact that
repeatedly plugging/ unpluggin RJ 11 connectors eventually leads to
their failure.

For now, I guess I'll just live with the stigma of the scarlet I
("Info") on the OLC site :-))

P3

Old May 9th 05, 03:44 AM
David Leonard

GNII, and I think the old Pocket NAV download the *.cai file and then
generate the *.igc file from that. The *.cai file is what you need to
use for the OLC if you don't want the red mark. The one you have on the
PDA will work just fine. It doesn't help to have a laptop for the
download, unless you just want to check the log on the spot.

You need to use the OLC utility (available on the OLC site for free) or
the equivalent in SeeYou and maybe others to generate the *.igc file to
give to the OLC. The utility encodes the *.cai file as ascii text and
appends it to the generated *.igc file. That allows the OLC to verify
the security of the submission using the original *.cai file. The
utility runs under DOS, but it doesn't have to be done at the time of
the download. The OLC does not accept the old fake G record on old
heritage CAI loggers any more.

It doesn't help to have a laptop for the download, unless you just want
to check the log on the spot. You don't have to accept the red dot, if
you don't mind a few hoops once you get home with your log file (*.cai)
on your PDA.

ZL

Old May 9th 05, 04:24 PM
Papa3

Dave,

Muchos gracias. I'll try that tonight.

P3

Old May 10th 05, 02:59 AM
Fred Mueller

Go to this page

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/validate.php

FM

Old May 11th 05, 03:00 AM
Papa3

Thanks. Required a bit of troubleshooting to figure out why the DOS
shell was throwing an exception ("can't run 16-bit applications...")
Got that sorted out as well. I always wondered if my knowledge of
DOS commands would ever be useful again. Thank goodness for
soaring...

Anyway, it looks like it didn't work. Popped open the file in text
editor after the DOS application successfully ran, but there are
thousands of bytes of ASCII characters appended to the file. It sure
doesn't fit the syntax of a G Record per the IGC specs. Is there a way
on the OLC to validate a flight without going through a full submission
(I tried, but can't find it)? SeeYou doesn't seem to have that utility
(although I can't run help to RTFM, because the help process seems to
also throw an exception). Oh, and the original cambridge VALI DOS
programs won't work on this translated file.

Editorial rant: I run a freakin' software development organization
for a living, and I fly for fun. This is starting to look seriously
like work.

And, back to my original request, assuming I get this sorted out, has
anyone created a simple script that will run on the pocket PC to do
this in situ (on the Pocket PC)?

Old May 11th 05, 03:14 AM
David Leonard

That bunch of stuff appended to the file is the whole *.cai file,
including the security record, encoded into ascii text (base-64?). Just
upload it to the OLC.

Old May 11th 05, 04:32 AM
Papa3

David Leonard wrote:
That bunch of stuff appended to the file is the whole *.cai file,
including the security record, encoded into ascii text (base-64?).

Just
upload it to the OLC.

Wilco.

As an aside, I actually went to the FAI site and downloaded the zip
file containing various CAI DOS utilities (conv-cam) which converts to
..igc format. It definitely creates a short G Record that looks "right"
(ie a couple of lines); anybody know if this utility creates a file
that passes muster with the OLC.

Old May 11th 05, 04:40 AM
David Leonard

No it does not pass the OLC security check. Thats why the OLC has you
tack the *.cai file onto the end of the *.igc file. About 2 years ago,
it did, but no more.

Papa3 wrote:
David Leonard wrote:

That bunch of stuff appended to the file is the whole *.cai file,
including the security record, encoded into ascii text (base-64?).

Just

upload it to the OLC.

Wilco.

As an aside, I actually went to the FAI site and downloaded the zip
file containing various CAI DOS utilities (conv-cam) which converts to
.igc format. It definitely creates a short G Record that looks "right"
(ie a couple of lines); anybody know if this utility creates a file
that passes muster with the OLC.

WTB: Sage Model B Netto Total Energy Box November Bravo Soaring 0 March 15th 05 03:10 PM
Model Building (but not with plastic and glue) [email protected] Soaring 7 March 3rd 05 04:01 AM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
FA: 5 Airplane Model Kits - Bomber, Jet, Warbird Disgo Aviation Marketplace 0 February 22nd 04 05:00 PM
FA: Bomber Plane Model MIB - Monogram 1/48 HEINKEL Disgo Aviation Marketplace 0 February 21st 04 02:40 PM