Glider pilots with disabilities

Old May 9th 05, 09:23 AM
Paul T

Default Glider pilots with disabilities

I am a student occupational therapist (and lapsed glider
pilot), who along with a partner, for a degree assignment,
are investigating the therapeutic use of gliding for
people with disabilities.
I would be grateful if anyone with a disability who
has experienced gliding or is a glider pilot, who is
willing to relate the benefits for themselves of engaging
in the sport, could contact me at .

Many thanks for any help that can be given

Old May 9th 05, 02:26 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Paul T wrote:

I am a student occupational therapist (and lapsed glider
pilot), who along with a partner, for a degree assignment,
are investigating the therapeutic use of gliding for
people with disabilities.
I would be grateful if anyone with a disability who
has experienced gliding or is a glider pilot, who is
willing to relate the benefits for themselves of engaging
in the sport, could contact me at .

Many thanks for any help that can be given

Perhaps this will help some.

http://tinyurl.com/94fvl

Frank
Old May 9th 05, 05:02 PM
John Galloway

? Contact Walking on Air.

http://www.walkingonair.f9.co.uk/

John Galloway

Old May 9th 05, 05:39 PM
Papa3

Paul,

You really need to speak to the folks at Freedom's Wings International
(FWI). They promote hand controls for gliding in the US and would be
able to put you in touch with dozens of current and former students. I
used to teach for them several years back, and the psychological impact
on folks was certainly impressive. Their website is (was?)
http://www.freedomswings.org (it seems to be down at the moment). You
can also try the SSA, as they ought to have contact information for FWI
..

Erik Mann (P3)

Old May 9th 05, 08:53 PM
F.L. Whiteley

Papa3 wrote:

Paul,

You really need to speak to the folks at Freedom's Wings International
(FWI). They promote hand controls for gliding in the US and would be
able to put you in touch with dozens of current and former students. I
used to teach for them several years back, and the psychological impact
on folks was certainly impressive. Their website is (was?)
http://www.freedomswings.org (it seems to be down at the moment). You
can also try the SSA, as they ought to have contact information for FWI
.

Erik Mann (P3)

http://www.freedomswings.ca/main.php works

http://www.freedomswings.org/ is also now working.

Frank
Old May 10th 05, 01:53 AM
Ralph Jones

On 9 May 2005 08:23:38 GMT, Paul T
wrote:

I am a student occupational therapist (and lapsed glider
pilot), who along with a partner, for a degree assignment,
are investigating the therapeutic use of gliding for
people with disabilities.
I would be grateful if anyone with a disability who
has experienced gliding or is a glider pilot, who is
willing to relate the benefits for themselves of engaging
in the sport, could contact me at .

Many thanks for any help that can be given

I flew in a couple of Region 9 contests in the late '80s where a chap
named Terry Frazier was a contestant; he was missing both legs, and
had appropriate devices in his ship. It carried a logo of some
organization that worked with disabled people, but I can't remember
its name. Perhaps you could look Terry up through SSA.

rj
Old May 10th 05, 04:01 AM
F.L. Whiteley

Paul T wrote:

I am a student occupational therapist (and lapsed glider
pilot), who along with a partner, for a degree assignment,
are investigating the therapeutic use of gliding for
people with disabilities.
I would be grateful if anyone with a disability who
has experienced gliding or is a glider pilot, who is
willing to relate the benefits for themselves of engaging
in the sport, could contact me at .

Many thanks for any help that can be given

There's a UK instructor named Gary (his surname escapes me) that's a
paraplegic. He rubs his nose a lot, as confirmed in a BBC video;^)

Frank
Old May 10th 05, 09:29 PM
Charles Petersen

Paul,

I am the founding Director of Freedom's Wings Canada, www.freedomswings.ca,
inspired and mentored by Freedom's Wings International,
www.freedomswings.org, in Pennsylvania, but not legally affiliated with
them. There is a four page article on our organization in the current issue
of SAILPLANE AND GLIDING, which has two pages written by one of our
students, a page by the senior Instructor on teaching paraplegics and the
effects on the club and the flight line, and a page I wrote on the
establishment of FWC. There will be a three page article in the next issue
of FREE FLIGHT, the Canadian journal of Soaring, and it will be available in
PDF format at the Soaring Association of Canada website www.sac.ca.

We are a strategic alliance between a registered Canadian Charity (eligible
for grants from foundations and able to issue tax receipts) called Youth
Flight Canada, a gliding club near Toronto called York Soaring Association,
and two community organizations for people with disabilities. We received a
grant to buy a glider with hand controls, and are eagerly awaiting delivery
of our new Peregrine http://www.peregrinesailplane.com/, an American built
Krosno KRO3a, which will have the hand controls incorporated in the type
certificate.

We will be making two videos this summer, one for use at sponsor pitches and
Rotary Club lunches, featuring the benefits of gliding from the perspective
of Recreational Therapists, and the other targeted at Peer Groups / Rehab
Hospitals and focused on inspirational flying footage. We would welcome
your input on the former and value being included in the results of your
study. Our season is about to commence, and we would welcome you too as a
visitor.

I will encourage a couple of our pilots to contact you privately.

Charles Petersen