Color-blind

Old October 11th 05, 05:05 AM
Sylvain

Ken wrote:
I received a SODA for color blindness back before waivers were issued
for a color light gun test. It is limited to a 3rd class medical only.
What would be necessary to convert this SODA to a waiver that could be
used for a 2nd class medical?

I don't know, but I would ask the question to AOPA.

--Sylvain
Old October 11th 05, 06:05 AM
J. Severyn

I'm over 2000 hours. The only time I've seen a light signal was at the FSDO
when I took the test to get my SODA.

John Severyn
KLVK
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. ..

Just as a point of interest: I'm pushing 3000 hours now and I've never
even seen a light signal. Have any of you?

Heh heh... maybe I'm color blind after all G
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old October 11th 05, 09:09 AM
Capt.Doug

"Kathy" wrote in message
What do you advise for a color-blind pilot wannabe? How likely is it for
someone who's color-blind to get a SODA?

There are different levels of color blindness. There are airline pilots with
medical waivers for color blindness. Talk to an experienced medical examiner
for your options.

D.

Old October 11th 05, 11:27 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:20:06 GMT, "Steph"
wrote:

I'm colour blind, and my license is endorsed "Daytime only, and functioning
radio in controlled airspace."

Fascinating. What's with the radio requirement?

And isn't all airspace controlled on the east coast?

And what are you supposed to do if the radio conks?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old October 11th 05, 11:32 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 14:38:42 -0700, Sylvain wrote:

Note though that this restriction won't prevent you from
completing the standard private pilot cursus and getting your
certificate since all the night flying requirements is (usually)
done with a CFI.

Getting a recreational certificate is also an option, seems to me.
With a bit of footwork, for the GA pilot without Bonanza ambitions,
there's little practical difference. Wouldn't be able to fly at night,
across open water (10 miles I think it is), or out of the country.

Old October 11th 05, 05:09 PM
Sylvain

Cub Driver wrote:
Getting a recreational certificate is also an option, seems to me.
With a bit of footwork, for the GA pilot without Bonanza ambitions,
there's little practical difference. Wouldn't be able to fly at night,
across open water (10 miles I think it is), or out of the country.

....or above 10'000 feet or in controlled airspace or in aircraft
with more than 4 seats or with more than one pax and with a
sh*load of other restrictions (additional endorsements etc.) all
that for pretty much the same amount of work (and cost) as a
private; a private with non night flying would be equivalent
with what Europeans content themselves...

if radio goes nordo, you simply head for the nearest uncontrolled
airfield, no problem;

--Sylvain
Old October 11th 05, 06:59 PM

Kathy
Color bli9ndness and color deficiency are two different things. Many
men have the later and not at all uncommon. For women and color
blindness I guess its a different thing? The SODA is simply a test for
white/green/red and one that I did back about 1970 after I had already
done numerous 1st class physicals! Did the light test at the tower with
a FSDO Inspector, passed it and have flown with that SODA ever since.
If you are indeed unable to see the difference in white/red/green, it
only keeps you limited to daytime flying, and not into controlled
fields that require light signals for no radio. Not a big deal.
Good luck
Ol Shy & Bashful
50+ years of flying 22,000+ hours

Old October 11th 05, 08:51 PM

Kathy wrote:
What do you advise for a color-blind pilot wannabe? How likely is it for
someone who's color-blind to get a SODA?

Very likely... I have one.
I had to take a "Demonstrated Test of Ability"... by taxiing out to
the end of the runway with an FAA Inspector, who had the tower shine
random nights at me... The aviation colors are so pure that I can
tell them apart. If you can tell them apart, you can identify them.
You don't have to be able to "see" the colors as the same color
they are shining... only be able to identify it as "color so and so".

:-)

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old October 11th 05, 11:01 PM
Mark Klebanoff

wrote:

I'm colour blind, and my license is endorsed "Daytime only, and functioning
radio in controlled airspace."

Fascinating. What's with the radio requirement?

And isn't all airspace controlled on the east coast?

And what are you supposed to do if the radio conks?

Basically it means you cannot use light guns for clearance. I'm
colorblind and have been flying for 25 years. While not being able
to fly at night is a major hassle, in those 25 years I've never needed
light guns anyway. And if I ever did, I'd probably consider it a bona
fide emergency anyway.