Mid-air collision

Old November 21st 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
flash

Default Mid-air collision

Mid-air collision

http://www.townhall.com/news/us/2007...wash;_all_live

Somebdy must have said their prayers before takeof. Three people, no serious
injury or loss of life. Loss of one craft in the bay, the other landed
safely.

Flash

Old November 22nd 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Nov 20, 8:57 pm, "flash" wrote:
Mid-air collision

http://www.townhall.com/news/us/2007..._collide_in_wa...

Somebdy must have said their prayers before takeof. Three people, no serious
injury or loss of life. Loss of one craft in the bay, the other landed
safely.

Flash

Paper had a picture of the one that landed - total damage was the rear
end of the wheel pants broken off. Amazing!

Harry K
Old November 22nd 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:10:05 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 20, 8:57 pm, "flash" wrote:
Mid-air collision

http://www.townhall.com/news/us/2007..._collide_in_wa...

Somebdy must have said their prayers before takeof. Three people, no serious
injury or loss of life. Loss of one craft in the bay, the other landed
safely.

Paper had a picture of the one that landed - total damage was the rear
end of the wheel pants broken off. Amazing!

A bit more than that...some wrinkled skin on the belly, and one account said the
plane is sitting a little cockeyed on the ground.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecrash21m.html

Happened right on one of my usual sightseeing routes. Makes you think....

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 22nd 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

A bit more than that...some wrinkled skin on the belly, and one account
said the
plane is sitting a little cockeyed on the ground.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecrash21m.html

Happened right on one of my usual sightseeing routes. Makes you think....

Yeah, I'll bet! Keep those peepers open and looking around, huh?

One thing I have been wondering, is what caused the guy with so little
damage come down out of the sky? It seems like he should have continued to
land at the airport, too.

Am I missing something?
--
Jim in NC

Old November 22nd 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 00:10:09 -0500, "Morgans" wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

A bit more than that...some wrinkled skin on the belly, and one account
said the
plane is sitting a little cockeyed on the ground.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecrash21m.html

Happened right on one of my usual sightseeing routes. Makes you think....

Yeah, I'll bet! Keep those peepers open and looking around, huh?

Interesting thing is, I've had a pass or two in that area, myself. It's sort of
a funnel between the Class D at Tacoma Narrows and the Sea-Tac Class B. Thun
Field (where the Cessna landed) is a very popular destination, and if you're
heading south over Puget Sound on your way there, you're going to go feet dry at
Commencement Bay.

One thing I have been wondering, is what caused the guy with so little
damage come down out of the sky? It seems like he should have continued to
land at the airport, too.

Am I missing something?

Haven't heard, yet, an interview with the pilot who ditched. Witnesses report
the plane circling on the way down. Given full control of the plane, he should
have been able to glide back to dry land or at least immediately offshore rather
than out a ways. There are LOTS of places to set down around Commencement Bay,
*if* you've got control of the aircraft.

If the local media is accurately reporting, the plane ditched towards the
western part of the bay, which is the most urban but still has a
pretty-good-sized park.

(Do 'Commencement Bay' on Google Earth, and you'll see all the wharves and stuff
on the south and east side of the bay. The local media is showing the setdown
point right about where the Google Earth marker for the Bay is.)

I suspect the pilot had difficulty controlling the aircraft in roll/yaw. Sounds
like he had pitch control, as the witnesses report a near-perfect setdown in the
water (tail touched down first). When you consider the Cessna obviously hit the
Citabria with its landing gear, it was slightly higher and probably hit the wing
or vertical tail of the Citabria. By all reports, the guy did a damn good job
setting it down.

Ron Wanttaja
Old November 22nd 07, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 21:31:32 -0800, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

...When you consider the Cessna obviously hit the
Citabria with its landing gear, it was slightly higher and probably hit the wing
or vertical tail of the Citabria.

Report on rec.aviation.piloting says the Citabria lost its vertical tail....

Ron Wanttaja

Old November 22nd 07, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-11-21 21:10:09 -0800, "Morgans" said:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

A bit more than that...some wrinkled skin on the belly, and one account
said the
plane is sitting a little cockeyed on the ground.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecrash21m.html

Happened right on one of my usual sightseeing routes. Makes you think....

Yeah, I'll bet! Keep those peepers open and looking around, huh?

One thing I have been wondering, is what caused the guy with so little
damage come down out of the sky? It seems like he should have continued to
land at the airport, too.

Am I missing something?

Maybe not, but the Citabria was missing its vertical stabilizer. :-)

The water there was 44 degrees and the 70 year old woman does not swim,
so they were very lucky indeed. The boaters who rescued them got them
out of their wet clothes and wrapped in dry towels immediately, which
probably saved their lives.

As Ron noted, this area is a funnel for east-west traffic. Really, it
is a narrow corridor only a few miles across between McChord's class D,
Tacoma Narrows' class D, and SeaTac and Boeing Field's airspace. The
effect is as if the FAA erected a 40 mile long 10,000 foot high wall
and left this tiny hole through it. They will blame the pilots for
failing to see and avoid, of course, but that will be like some highway
department suddenly narrowing a 16 lane freeway to a single lane and
then blaming all the accidents and congestion on "bad drivers." Come to
think of it, Washington State's DOT is like that...

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 22nd 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"C J Campbell" wrote

Maybe not, but the Citabria was missing its vertical stabilizer. :-)

Well, that makes more sense. The early reports given here said that the
only damage was a dent and bent landing gear.

No fin and rudder would make it more difficult to come out of a spin, I
guess! g
--
Jim in NC

Old November 23rd 07, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Morgans" wrote in message

"C J Campbell" wrote

Maybe not, but the Citabria was missing its vertical stabilizer. :-)

Well, that makes more sense. The early reports given here said that the
only damage was a dent and bent landing gear.

That was the damage to the Cessna that landed at an airport.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old November 23rd 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:
"Morgans" wrote in message

"C J Campbell" wrote

Maybe not, but the Citabria was missing its vertical stabilizer. :-)

Well, that makes more sense. The early reports given here said that the
only damage was a dent and bent landing gear.

That was the damage to the Cessna that landed at an airport.

If the Cessna is claimed to have a "bent landing gear", I'd real quick
go looking at the gear mount area of the fuselage.

That steel leg can take a lot more impact that the aluminum fusleage.