OLC - Action Needed

Old April 11th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OLC - Action Needed

It is interesting that the OLC page shows a flight yesterday by Andrej
Kolar (the SeeYou guy) at Ridge Soaring, and it has the red mark, with
the explanation that the Volkslogger file failed security. If Andrej
gets red marks, what hope do the rest of us have?

Mike the Strike wrote:
Thanks for the comments, Ian. I am aware of the two modes and use the
fast unsecure method for casual flights. I have been using ConnectMe
to download secure logs from my Volkslogger since participating in the
OLC and have previously had no problems. In this case, there does
appear to be a problem with my file and maybe the issue is not the OLC.

It is frustrating, though, having made a great flight and having to
spend longer downloading and fixing the log than the flight time!
Clearly the security issues are causing more problems than they were
designed to prevent. Like many other glider pilots, I wonder how many
bogus logs there are and even if it would be possible to get away with
one, given so many people watching the forum?

Mike

Old April 11th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes - it looks like he has the same problem as me! At least he has an
incentive to fix it now!

Mike

Old April 12th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No Andrej is testing a problem we found with this particular log file.
Because the claim time window has psassed, he had to deliberaly hack
the date to test it.

This shows one of the reasons why the security check is important. I
think many people are questioning the need for security checks because
it is hard to imagine someone going to all the trouble to completely
fabricate a flight log. That would be very difficult, and it would take
a very sick mind to do something like this. But it is not that hard to
imaging someone taking a little creative license by "fixing" an
airspace bust, or some other "minor" problem in the flight log. It is
also possible to take an old log and recycle it, especially if it was
never claimed to OLC before.

Without the security check, deception like this would be completely
undetectable. In this case, the security checks worked, and the hacked
file was red flagged.

Old April 12th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I have heard a few rumors about 302 flight logs failing OLC security. There
are 2 possible causes of the issue.

- The flight recorder has lost it's security seal (rare, but it happens)
and must be re-sealed.
- The flight log download process had a hiccup. This is somewhat common
and easy to fix. Just re-download the flight log. The free Cambridge 300
Utility seems to be the most reliable download method - either using a PDA
of PC. After you download the flight log be sure to use the software to
validate the flight log. If the flight log does not pass the security test
then re-download it. I've never needed to re-download myself, but I can't
explain the issues that a few people have had.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

-
ps.com...

Old April 12th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the comments, Ian. I am aware of the two modes and use the
fast unsecure method for casual flights. I have been using ConnectMe
to download secure logs from my Volkslogger since participating in the
OLC and have previously had no problems. In this case, there does
appear to be a problem with my file and maybe the issue is not the OLC.

It is frustrating, though, having made a great flight and having to
spend longer downloading and fixing the log than the flight time!
Clearly the security issues are causing more problems than they were
designed to prevent. Like many other glider pilots, I wonder how many
bogus logs there are and even if it would be possible to get away with
one, given so many people watching the forum?

Mike

Mike, as I mentioned in another post, I just bought a new and expensive
($70) high-speed serial port card for my new winXP desktop. Secure
Volkslogger files now download in seconds using SeeYou and no problems (so
far) with the OLC.

Bill Daniels.

Old April 12th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Bill,

I must be missing something. If the VL has its comm port set to 4800 baud,
or even 19,200 baud, how can a high speed comm port speed up downloads? My
experience with RS-232 serial communications is that 4800 to 19200 baud is
about as fast as it can go without errors, depending on the cable length.
Sync-serial communications can be much faster but most devices don't support
that. I'm very curious.

Sincerely,

Paul Remde

Old April 12th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I set SeeYou parameters on 'AUTO' and my flight downloaded quickly with no
problems. I'm no expert on serial communications so I don't know the actual
baud rate. Possibly the card and SeeYou self-optimized the comm rate. The
manual that came with the "CyberPro PCI 2S" serial port card isn't very
helpful in answering your question.

Bill Daniels