Just starting out...

Old April 24th 05, 08:23 PM
Mark Morissette

So I'm up to about 18 hours now (man... weather sucks over the winter).
In the interim, I decided to get Lasik surgery done on my eyes (turned out
quite well, thank you) that has had me waiting before I could get my
medical. As a result, I've done a lot more dual before solo than would
normally be required. It is awfully nice to see well without glasses
though.

Braver then me! I've been wearing glasses for over 25 years, and
would like to consider Lasik, but I always have a nasty recurring fear
that it'll screw up my eyes, and hence, my pilots licence. :-)

No really scary happenings during training. Here in Canada, there is spin
instruction (I understand this isn't the case in the US?) Recently they
changed it that spins have to be demonstrated, but not practiced. My CFI
asked if I would like to try a few, and I'm a sucker when it comes to trying
cool things in a plane, so of course I did. That, and spiral dives have
been the "hairiest" of the flying I've done.

I'm in Ontario, and did my spins a few months ago.. An interesting
experience, no? I wasn't fancy on the spins, but the spirals seemed
like a non-event to me after I actually went out and did them.

Had an interesting flight awhile ago. Here in Montreal, there are two large
airports. The Pierre Elliot Trudeau (formerly Dorval) airport, and the
Mirabel airport. Mirabel was "supposed" to be the big international when
the government built it in the 70's, but has turned out to be a white
elephant. It's still open, but pretty much no traffic. We flew out there
to do some touch and goes. It is a BIG change to do touch and goes in a
C-152 on a 12,000 foot by 200 foot runway, when you're used to something

Wow! I've been to Mirabel in the course of my work, although I could
never immagine flying in there in a 152.. No fear of running out of
runway there. :-)

I'll have to keep that in mind when I get my ticket - it woud be an
experience for sure! :-) The ATC there must find themselves with
alot of spare time nowadays.

Here's a satellite pic of Mirabel, for anyone interested:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mirabe...6744&t=k&hl=en

(I'm pretty sure it's Mirabel... I suppose I could look in my CFS to
make sure, but since this is unofficial like..and my CFS is out in my
car, I'll make an assumption..)

Anyhow, wanted to give an update and let you all know that I'm enjoying
reading and learning from the newsgroup as I go along. Why the hell didn't
I do this earlier?

Have fun, I'm doing it as well!

BTW, Join us over in rec.aviation.student - more student oriented
there.
Mark Morissette
Courtice, Ontario, Canada
http://oshawapilot.blogspot.com (My student pilot blog)

Starting Engine Question (O-320, Warrior) Lisa Piloting 13 April 1st 04 06:45 AM
Starting a club Casey Wilson Piloting 9 February 2nd 04 08:56 PM
Starting new info site need info from the pros MRQB Piloting 7 January 5th 04 03:20 AM
Hot Starting Fuel Injected Engines Peter Duniho Piloting 23 October 18th 03 02:50 AM
Boeing 307 Starting Up! Jay Honeck Piloting 5 August 8th 03 06:53 PM