Records Show Bush Guard Commitment Unmet

Old September 9th 04, 10:36 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:28:00 -0400, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

Uhhmm...that comment from Bob was not related to Olds, but to the other
pilot mentioned in the discussion.

It certainly sounded like it was related to Olds. I found it hard to
believe because he is a consummate gentleman, although also probably
the most aggressive air warrior you may ever have the privilege to
meet.

Coincidentally (and I didn't know it this AM), I went to the local
Daedalians meeting for lunch at USAFA. The guest speakers today were a
tag-team match of Bob Titus (3 MiGs in SEA and lots of test pilot
experience including the zero-length launch of the F-100) and Robin.
Both charmed the gathering of military aviatiors for quite a while.

There was some young punk named Ritchie in the front row who claimed
to have some F-4 time as well!

A pretty impressive lunch bunch.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Old September 9th 04, 11:25 PM
Kevin Brooks

wrote:

Uhhmm...that comment from Bob was not related to Olds, but to the other
pilot mentioned in the discussion.

It certainly sounded like it was related to Olds. I found it hard to
believe because he is a consummate gentleman, although also probably
the most aggressive air warrior you may ever have the privilege to
meet.

You may be right; I took it as referring to "Diz", but on second reading it
could go either way.

Brooks

Old September 9th 04, 11:35 PM
Bob Coe

"Ed Rasimus" wrote
wrote:

Uhhmm...that comment from Bob was not related to Olds, but to the other
pilot mentioned in the discussion.

It certainly sounded like it was related to Olds. I found it hard to
believe because he is a consummate gentleman, although also probably
the most aggressive air warrior you may ever have the privilege to
meet.

Yes, it was Olds, and yes, my wife is easily offended, and I said that to
make her feel she was still on top, and my sword was valiantly in place
to defend her honor, knowing full well that to explain his humor to her
would be a waste of time and energy. Sorry, I should have said that in the
first message, as it does make it sound like General Olds was something
that he is clearly not. But it would have been as long winded as this reply.

Coincidentally (and I didn't know it this AM), I went to the local
Daedalians meeting for lunch at USAFA. The guest speakers today were a
tag-team match of Bob Titus (3 MiGs in SEA and lots of test pilot
experience including the zero-length launch of the F-100) and Robin.
Both charmed the gathering of military aviatiors for quite a while.

There was some young punk named Ritchie in the front row who claimed
to have some F-4 time as well!

A pretty impressive lunch bunch.

Are you shocked at how old they look now? I can't believe how fast time flies.
The kids in my neighborhood call me Grandpa Coe, and I still think I'm 20
years old in spirit, hee

Old September 9th 04, 11:48 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:35:25 -0500, "Bob Coe" wrote:

Are you shocked at how old they look now? I can't believe how fast time flies.
The kids in my neighborhood call me Grandpa Coe, and I still think I'm 20
years old in spirit, hee

Yep. Every year when I go to the River Rats reunion, I keep running
into this collection of fat, balding, gray-haired, glasses-wearing old
farts wearing the name tags of a bunch of guys who are much younger.

Then someone sends me a picture of myself after the doings and I
wonder who the old, fat, etc. etc. guy is wearing my nametag.

It's an honor to know them all.

Old September 10th 04, 02:30 AM
Krztalizer

Thanks, George. These days, stating your political beliefs is basically
inviting a load of hurt, but I refuse to believe our country would be better
off without the debate.

v/r
Gordon
Old September 10th 04, 02:43 AM
Krztalizer

I mentioned Diz - the other name that pops up right off the bat is Robin

Olds,
who used to tell his backseater to "shut up and hold on".

Do you know Robin?

He chased me out of his ready room in the mid-70s when he was running the
Triple Nickle - since then I have met him several times but I seriously doubt
that he remembers every fan. I grew up thinking (knowing) he was the best damn
fighter pilot I would ever meet. Until I met Swede Vejtasa and became friends
with him, I never doubted that Col. Olds was the top of the food chain.

The comments he was making we in the context of when **** hit the fan and how
overloaded a pilot could get in the middle of NVN airspace. With the RWR and
ECM going off, folks yelling on the radio, etc., he talked about how
distracting it could be to have a backseater. Other people at the reunion
mentioned his "strap in and hold on" crew brief, although that is decades after
the events and could be partially puffed up to make a good story. I've heard
that happens.

I'm afraid that I can't picture the Robin Olds I
know saying that unless it was a necessary warning when something
unusual was about to occur. Robin is the consummate professional in
fighter aviation and knew (and knows) that the F-4 is a two-person
airplane and both parties have a critical role to perform.

He was already into F-15s when I met him the first time. It would not have
surprised me to have actual fangs drop down out of the corners of his mouth.

Although I've heard many times about single-seat drivers telling the
WSO to go cold mike, I've never known a single one who did so. It's
urban legend.

I would hope so - its not much of a team if it was just the driver.

I met him. When he left my wife asked "who was that asshole?" and I
said "he's a fighter pilot, need I say more?"

Your wife may have been going through an emotional crisis, or maybe
she hasn't met many warriors.

sorry, Ed - I don't know where that came from. I don't think I wrote the quote
there that you replied to as it doesn't sound familiar at all.

Lesser men will often say the same thing
after an encounter with Robin.

No way! He makes a larger than life impression on the folks I have seen him
with. Yeager maybe, but not Col. Olds (err.. General?).

v/r
Gordon

====(A+C====
USN SAR

Its always better to lose -an- engine, not -the- engine.

Old September 10th 04, 02:50 AM
Krztalizer

****ing A Bubba!

Okay so you get the picture. Damn Gordon, I never realized you were so
wise.

Shhhhh, I already have Cheney peeking in the mail slot!

Old September 10th 04, 05:01 AM
Robey Price

After an exhausting session with Victoria's Secret Police, Krztalizer
confessed the following:

Shhhhh, I already have Cheney peeking in the mail slot!

BTW have you seen these poll results at the BBC site?

Makes one wonder how supporters of gwb and his dick dismiss their
unpopularity around the world. The obvious answer is they don't care.

This is the first time in my life I've donated money to a political
campaign. http://www.idiots4bush.com/bumper_stickers1

Robey
Old September 10th 04, 08:22 AM
Krztalizer

Coincidentally (and I didn't know it this AM), I went to the local
Daedalians meeting for lunch at USAFA.

_Dog_. I would have killed to be a fly on the wall.

I never made it into the Order of the Daedalians - our crew was First Loser one
year. Sure felt great to be considered in the running!

The guest speakers today were a
tag-team match of Bob Titus (3 MiGs in SEA and lots of test pilot
experience including the zero-length launch of the F-100) and Robin.

That would have been worth a good admission.

Both charmed the gathering of military aviatiors for quite a while.

There was some young punk named Ritchie in the front row who claimed
to have some F-4 time as well!

He was really nice to my son - sent an inspiring letter and copies of his best
speeches. The photos were a pleasant bonus - the kid loved them.

A pretty impressive lunch bunch.

And you are in amongst them, Ed. Have a good night.

Old September 10th 04, 04:16 PM
Ed Rasimus

On 10 Sep 2004 01:43:17 GMT, nt (Krztalizer) wrote:

[...]

A lot of Robin Olds stories are just like that. Two years ago in Las
Vegas I was talking with him and a small group of River Rats. One of
the guys brought up the story about Robin having 7th AF print up a
bunch of propaganda leaflets to be dropped in NVN challenging "Colonel
Tomb" to a fight.

Robin was very clear that it never happened. And, he went on to
elaborate that his mission was NOT to chase MiGs, but was to hit
assigned targets and MOST IMPORTANTLY, to get his crews in and out of
the target area safely. It wasn't about personal glory and never
should be.

I'm afraid that I can't picture the Robin Olds I
know saying that unless it was a necessary warning when something
unusual was about to occur. Robin is the consummate professional in
fighter aviation and knew (and knows) that the F-4 is a two-person
airplane and both parties have a critical role to perform.

He was already into F-15s when I met him the first time. It would not have
surprised me to have actual fangs drop down out of the corners of his mouth.

I don't know that he ever got into F-15s. After he came back from Ubon
in '67 he pinned on Brig. General and become Commandant of Cadets at
USAFA. He served there until 1971 when he got reassigned as Director
of Safety at Norton AFB where he retired. He probably flew the
airplane, but never had an assignment as primary aircrew in Eagles.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***
www.thunderchief.org

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM